• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
And just a little FYI- the parents of one of the 2016 superintendent candidates are all up in this (and it is not the Nicks). Isn't that swell?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Its par for the course with our school district. Put out one fire, yet another starts. Too much to hide.

Sad, but true...

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Whatever the motivations of anyone complaining, the fact is that this represents shoddy educational practices because the material is not accurate. That the class is a World History class makes the inaccuracies more glaring. Would those defending this be so understanding if the lesson had said that Persians were Christian and Christian was inserted where Islam was written?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Who is defending it?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Whatever the motivations of anyone complaining, the fact is that this represents shoddy educational practices because the material is not accurate. That the class is a World History class makes the inaccuracies more glaring. Would those defending this be so understanding if the lesson had said that Persians were Christian and Christian was inserted where Islam was written?

Once again, accuracy is not the basis of their complaint.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world

“After studying ancient Persia and discussing contemporary ideas in world cultures, the example said, Allah is the one; Praise to him they all will cry; Islam is our life.”

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Ignorance pains me,
Schools should increase all knowledge,
Not just promote Jesus.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Even if this were a legitimate argument, why are so called "Christians" afraid to learn about other religions? Who do these people think they are?

No one has the right to indoctrinate another in any religion and teaching *any* religion is not a function of the public school system.

It's a poem for cripes sake not a movement to force your children into praying to Allah.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Wait just a minute. "No one has the right to indoctrinate another in any religion..." If I read this right, Islam was being promoted or shown in a positive light, not Christianity. Isn't Islam a religion? So, if it is in fact wrong to indoctrinate YOUR children about Christianity, isn't it also wrong to indoctrinate MY children about Islam?
I have no problem with teaching Islam, Judaism,Buddhism, Zoroastrianism,Paganism, Protestantism, Catholicism, Shintoism, Hinduism or any other "ism." All I want is fair, balanced and historically correct. A World History class must teach about different religions and how they have impacted the course of history. But make sure it is accurate.