• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Letter Walton County Beaches | Northwest Florida Daily News

Posted Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:00 AM

The public beaches of Walton County are being turned into private beaches by beachfront property owners. How can they do that? They hired lawyers to do it. Now is the time for the public, through the county, to hire a lawyer to defend our right to use the beach.The Doctrine of Customary Use affirms the right of the public to use the dry sandy portion of the beach no matter who holds the title.Beachfront property owners have cried that recognizing the right of the public to use the beach is a taking.

At the March 16 public hearing, beach access expert David Theriaque stated that recognition of customary use is not a taking of private rights. He further stated that “customary use is well recognized and established in Florida and other jurisdictions.”Another objection of beachfront property owners is that they will be liable for incidents that happen on their property.

Theriaque stated on March 16 that “absent gross negligence, there is no exposure to the property owner.”Tourism in Walton County is all about the beaches.

While tourists are here enjoying the beaches they spend billions of dollars paying rent, eating at restaurants and spending money at small businesses. Tourists will find somewhere else to spend their money if the no trespassing signs on the beaches persist.The cost of doing nothing will cost the county much more in the long run.

Walton County must hire a beach access expert now.

- CELESTE COBENA, Santa Rosa Beach

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
It is really amazing how some people have no respect or regard for owners that actually own their beachfront property, worked hard to get it and purchased it legally.

Sounds like a lot of people are very envious of these owners and are using the "tourists will leave" argument to push their agenda of jealously along.

The tourists won't leave. Hopefully the recent (past few years) of ignorant and inconsiderate ones will, but the real tourists, the one's we want here, will stay.

The County needs to be focusing on buying as much of the vacant lots that they can and improving the beach accesses.

I also think the Beach Vendor issue is embedded in this as well and they are also to blame for this backlash. Many of them think they "own" the beach.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
Just came back from a beach walk - blue mountain beach main public access to the Ed Waline public access.

The first thing you see while stepping off the beach stairs are 2 private beach signs directly to the west side of the public access portion of beach; one sign is posted up by the dunes and the second sign down by the wet sand.

The entire signed beach front is staked near the wet sand from one end to the other with beach umbrellas; much like a picket fence.

Signs simply state "private beach". They appear to be marking the beach in front of the small 4 home development directly adjacent to the public access.

Then continuing westbound you run into private beach signs located in front of the blue mountain beach villas/condos development.

After that are more private beach signs located in front of the village of white cliffs. These signs state that people on their beach must display wrist bands; and they also encourage their guests to report violators.

All these no trespassing signs are pushing visitors to beach areas east of the access and in front of the old blue mountain beach development.

I will try to go back out this evening and take some pictures.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Oh wow. Beach signs are multiplying and public beach access is in real danger. I hope the County can find a solution and fast.

I'm not envious of any Gulf front property owner. If I owned a gulf front home, I would not try to keep people from "my" beach. This is unheard of until very recently, unless it is a larger private resort property. Even then, people should be able to walk through and hang out within reason. I can't imagine going to Grayton Beach and having a homeowner tell us we had to get off the beach. It is just not done.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
These are photos of the signs I referenced in my earlier post today. The signs have a been moved back toward the dunes since it is now 5:30 pm and people and chairs are leaving the beach.

During the day they are placed from mid beach and toward the wet sand. A visitor walking down the beach could easily interpret the signs to mean that they are not allowed to even walk the wet sand beach area.

Anyway, the beach is starting to look like a war zone of no trespassing signs. It's not as much fun to walk the beach.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
@John G this is how beachfront owners take care of "their" beach. Owning beachfront is ludicrous. The beach belongs to the people!
Oh and by the way, you can't see it in this photos but this is in Gulf Trace which has dozens of septic tanks and drain fields just under the sand where children play.

Illegal geotubes and seawalls all up and down OUR beaches. Disgusting!

full

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
"Anyway, the beach is starting to look like a war zone of no trespassing signs. It's not as much fun to walk the beach"

Agree. Signs, posts, roped off areas not welcoming at all; changes the whole dynamic for the worst IMHO. Sad. Wristbands?!!!! are you kidding!?

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I'll step out on this limb John G. I'm coming to visit for 10 days starting next week. I'm bringing a couple who've never been to Walton County beaches. They vacation multiple times per year with us. I lived in the Santa Rosa Beach area for about 5 years.
Our intent is to enjoy the white sand my Wife and I miss so much. I hope we discover a turtle nest while there. I was a turtle walker when I lived there.

If all I find when I attempt to introduce new friends to my favorite beach to be on is no trespassing signs, I guarantee you this will drive me away from wanting to visit Walton county.

Perhaps some folks think the reason I come back is because I met a few cool people at a beach party. You'd be wrong. I came for the beach. I'm coming back for the beach. And, if the beach isn't available, I have plenty of options I will absolutely consider without question. Good luck affording Walton county without tourists.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'll step out on this limb John G. I'm coming to visit for 10 days starting next week. I'm bringing a couple who've never been to Walton County beaches. They vacation multiple times per year with us. I lived in the Santa Rosa Beach area for about 5 years.
Our intent is to enjoy the white sand my Wife and I miss so much. I hope we discover a turtle nest while there. I was a turtle walker when I lived there.

If all I find when I attempt to introduce new friends to my favorite beach to be on is no trespassing signs, I guarantee you this will drive me away from wanting to visit Walton county.

Perhaps some folks think the reason I come back is because I met a few cool people at a beach party. You'd be wrong. I came for the beach. I'm coming back for the beach. And, if the beach isn't available, I have plenty of options I will absolutely consider without question. Good luck affording Walton county without tourists.

Ash, let's say I like to visit where you live. I enjoy watching birds or some other wildlife.

There is a local park about a half mile from your home

But I like to set up "camp" the front yard of your home, which you own and have a deed to.

How will you address the issue of me (tourist to your area), now hanging out in your front (or back) yard?