• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
OK, getting somewhere, but now where Specifically was this funded sand distributed?

All of 30a, part of it? Where, and did everyone take this "sandout"?

Was it 100% tax dollars or only a portion?
If I remember correctly they moved the dredges all along 30a. It was after one of the hurricanes, may have been Ivan because there was the stink about some homeowners armoring the property past the dunes. Think it was around the time when Commissioner Cuchens was in office.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
If I remember correctly they moved the dredges all along 30a. It was after one of the hurricanes, may have been Ivan because there was the stink about some homeowners armoring the property past the dunes. Think it was around the time when Commissioner Cuchens was in office.
Bob, there was no sand deposited on private beach in our neck of the woods (or anywhere else that I know of) after and as a result of Ivan in 2004 and Dennis in 2005 by any governmental entity. ALL sand deposited in our area (Blue Mountain Beach) on private property was paid for by private property owners. I, like many others, know this first hand.

This is the kind of misinformation that does nobody any good but simply adds fuel to the fire to an already incendiary situation.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Some private beach homes DID install seawalls (installed by a company Cuchens was affiliated with) that came under fire for not being permitted correctly if at all by DEP. For a while it was up in the air if the DEP was even going to make the homeowners dig them back up and restore the area to previous condition.
The geotubes were also only on private areas. (The Retreat and Gulf Trace come to mind) If I am not mistaken the heavy equipment at 393 was only used for rebuilding the area of Ed Walline which is public.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
For those of you that have been here a long time, how much beach have we lost. I am reading that our part of the coast is losing 1/2 - 1' foot per year.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
For those of you that have been here a long time, how much beach have we lost. I am reading that our part of the coast is losing 1/2 - 1' foot per year.
From the aerial pics I have seen it appears we have gained quite a bit in the last 10 years. We went to having ZERO feet in most places in 2006 to the width of the beach today.... all done by Mother Nature herself and no renourishment.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Vagrant: Please stop getting hostile about every comment made that doesn't fit your narrative. I also recall that there was some "re-nourishment" done on some beaches somewhere after Ivan or Dennis. I can't really recall the specifics and there was certainly a lot more private beach "re-nourishment" and armoring, much of which were without legal permits. It certainly may not have been in Blue Mountain Beach, but this issue isn't segregated to that one community. It seems like it would be helpful to look for compromises and possible solutions for the entire 30-A stretch of beach than to pick fights about what signs were where and when in your particular area.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
I checked out the photos in the sowal photo archive. One photo references a DEP approved beach scraping in 2005. The reference was attributed to a photo of two beachfront homes located in Old Blue Mountain Beach. Does anyone know who did the beach scraping.

"Beach scraping is defined as the movement of sand from the intertidal zone to the dune or upper beach by mechanical means."

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
I'd like to focus on learning a bit more about the peoples opinions that feel the entire beach is "public"."

MRBS says: My 2 cents: as a child we rented gulf front starting in my life in the 60s. all this time have thought the beach seaward of the toe of dune was public. that's just how we've seen it. Now we rent in the grove in seagrove off beach and hope no one runs us off when we go to the beach. I understand the frustration I think as best I can, with the fact that 30a is no longer "secret" and regarding the masses that now come with sometimes corresponding lack of respect. So I think enforcement of existing ordinances is the key. Sorry about all of this.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Beach scraping is what went on in Seagrove after one or both of Ivan and Dennis. It didn't involve "adding sand". Whether this constitutes government re-nourishment is kind of an interesting question.