Public vs Private Beach [threads merged]

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by SoWal Staff, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

These chairs are not used. Some may be paid for, but few are actually used or used for more than a short period of time during the day. I'm all for franchise fees, but this fee will just be passed on to the tourists and the chairs will continue to sit empty. I understand your concept with the Kiosks, but IMHO these services belong on private resort beaches, not public ones. A compromise could be to allow beach set-ups after 9am and complete removal by 5-6pm as long as they are not set up until the renter takes occupancy. Yes, this would require the vendor to place their wares on or near the beach and physically attend them during the duration of the day. I'd prefer to see this rather than see a kiosk set up wether its temporary or not.

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

We believe in our communtiy and do what we can to foster it. It's part of our mission statement. We are very happy to make a living here. We greatly appreciate our financial supporters who appreciate what we do here and want to support our community website.

I try to keep out of politics. I wish all our beaches were free and open like Oregon. But that was done there a long time ago. Early developers in SoWal were allowed to do whatever they liked. That horse left the barn long ago. Now it's up to lawyers unfortunately. That lawyers and law enforcement is telling people to put up signs on the beach is sad.

Not many people have been banned on this site, and not because of political reasons. Unless you count axe grinders like the recent poster who repeatedly posted personal attacks about certain school personnel under five different screen names ("sock puppets" - also against forum rules).

3. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

I agree, kinda, but comparing a State to a single county??
    Again Florida has like over 2000 miles of coastline and only 30 +/- miles
    have this vendor problem( yes I think Vendors have created this problem).
    Maybe if one of the BCC voting commissioners didn't have a family member in the Vendor business and she continues to vote on all vendor rules( or lack of)
    This issue could be confronted and fixed. Good old boy/women system at its finest.

4. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

All I want to do is rent the little house a couple of blocks from the beach and fish!

5. Claire Kuhn

Claire Kuhn Beach Crab

Good luck with that.

6. Conn006

Conn006 Beach Lover

So to make sure that I am fully educated on the beach situation, can someone explain why people are putting up signs, ropes and other blockade devices to restrict people from walking on the beach?

I am a new homeowner that spent a lot of money for a beautiful home, not directly on the beach but with the knowledge that these beautiful beaches are public and NOT restricted by homeowners who have oceanfront property.

If there is more to the story, please fill me in. If there's a class action lawsuit against these homeowners that think they can patrol public beach property, please let me know the name of the law firm, I'm ready to jump in and fight these arrogant a*******!!!

7. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

8. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Not sure which is sadder. Someone who just moved here and finds out the situation or someone who's lived here their whole life and are witness.

9. upperarlington

upperarlington Beach Comber

We've been vacationing in Seagrove for the last 5 years and the only signs I have seen is to the right of One Seagrove place if you are standing one the beach looking at the condos. There has never been a soul in that section of the "private beach" but I was always afraid to put my chair down in the area. With the 3 rows of vendor chairs there, it can get pretty tight for a spot on the beach. If it gets more crowded this year, I may sit on the private beach area and see what unfolds.

10. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

I was there the other day and saw those signs - they also have a couple of giant flags that are about 15 feet high. This is going to get worse folks.

My guess is that if signs, ropes, chains, flags, etc are ever banned then people would start setting up dune to gulf chairs, tents, umbrellas and whatever else is allowed, to keep people off private stretches. I've already seen that at resorts and condos.

11. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Due to an increase in the number of people visiting our area, we have simply run out of beach at the local, public beach accesses.
    The additional people have started to move to the east and west of the accesses and some, onto private property.

Due to the recent decline in the quality of people visiting (rule breakers) their behavior has prompted homeowners to take steps to protect their private property.

Due to the inability of our elected Sheriff to enforce Trespassing Laws of the State, owners now must comply with a multiple page document, created by the aforementioned elected official in order to get any level of law enforcement service.

Due to the specific provisions of the multipage document referenced, (SOP or standard operating procedure), owners are putting up clearly visible boundaries and signs, as required.

That, in a nut shell is the problem.

Now, most recently, people are antagonizing the issue on both sides.

More and more signs, everywhere a sign.

A Community Organizer stirring the pot and calling for civilized anarchy for a day on the beach.

Not how you solve problems. This is how you create more of them.

Go back to the Source of the problem.

Overcrowding & Quality of Visitor.

Fix that and you'll start to see some change for the better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  12. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

@John G

There you go again. :rolleyes:

Blaming the sheriff and rule breakers. I agree that people in general (visitors) are more entitled. Partl because of the price of rentals so only the entitled can afford. People who pay thousands per week feel they own the place. Imagine that!

I also agree somewhat that the sheriff's rules about placing signs and such are ludicrous and he should be leading rather than following. But he is just part of the lack of leadership around here.

What's really changed is the quality of owners. Sad fearful people who buy property here and want to change decades of beach loving tradition. Real locals live here for the beach. Most of the new beachfront owners don't care about the beach. They just want to own it and exclude others. They aren't even here to see people on "their" beach - but their lawyers are telling them to keep people off to protect their investment.

Why do you care about private property on the beach? :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  13. Conn006

Conn006 Beach Lover

So which accesses are overcrowded and have visitors and locals impeding on this quote private property? Is it all of them or just certain ones?

14. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Mostly the main accesses that have a lot of parking nearby or lots of housing nearby. It depends - there are many neighborhood accesses that are quiet, and they are supposed to be. And there are small, quiet accesses which are next to ass holy private beach owners.

And then there are especially stinky private examples like Gulf Trace in Grayton Beach. A relatively small, isolated subdivision with plenty of room for everyone. Some property owners beside the accesses are trying to keep everyone else in the subdivision off their beach. These are not public accesses, but rather an internal fight about whether or not non-gulf front owners can use the beach they've been using for decades.

15. Conn006

Conn006 Beach Lover

So we use Gulf Heights in Santa Rosa Beach/Grayton-----is this a problem access where it is overcrowded with gulf owners marking their territory? We purchased a home in Aug and have not seen any problems when we are there but we are not full timers in the area...yet... Actually that's not true, we noticed many vendor set ups with no one using them!

16. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

I wonder how many beach front owners are full time residents. I would guess that it's a very small percentage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

Do you mean Gulfview Heights access behind Goatfeathers, or ...?

18. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

You just got here (relatively speaking) and you're ready to pull the trigger and jump on the "class warfare" bandwagon. I think that's what I hate most about all of this public/private beach crap. It polarizes everyone and makes enemies among those that would normally get along.

"You've legally got what I want but if you don't hand it over, I'm going to call you bad names and take you to court."

Since you haven't been around very long, based on you definition, I must be one of those "arrogant a*******". I would hope you could elevate your position. Yes, I remain optimistic.

19. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

The sand belongs to human beings. It should unite us, not divides us.

20. Conn006

Conn006 Beach Lover