• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Dawn I think people are connecting dots and taking a guess. Customary use is the most controversial issue of this campaign cycle and people want to know an answer. These mailers are fairly innocuous but they make no mention of a position on customary use. So, combine that with other candidates stated positions, the fact that no District 5 candidate was awarded a mailer and both of them have stated unequivocal support for customary use and the rather tepid support Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Nipper have given to customary use and people have drawn conclusions. I don't know if they are right or not but I still would like to know why a Washington PAC cares about a Walton County Commission race. But I cannot fault Mr. Fletcher or Ms Nipper for "accepting" this gift. Legally they cannot coordinate with a PAC and they cannot stop a group from liking them.

Danny, Tony Anderson is NOT about customary use (in the sense that has been discussed here) albeit his website and Facebook page IMPLIES otherwise. There is a substantial difference between public access and customary use.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
This comment is from T. Anderson Facebook page...(It's a portion of what he said on June 15, 2016 and has not been taken out of context)

The BCC did the right thing last night in passing Commissioner Jones' amendment to the Beach Activities Ordinance, to remove ropes, chains and other obstructions from the beach.

The next step in cleaning up our beaches must be: immediately passing a customary use policy to protect public beach use rights, strengthening our beach rules to ensure appropriate behavior, and provide more funding for enforcement.

When pressed to give his thoughts on the vendor issue as @Dave Rauschkolb stated...there was radio silence!! It should also be noted, there are NO private beaches in Walton County. Someone else asked Mr. Anderson the same question and stated they received a well written response that never answered the question!

I also just love (I'm being a smart ass) how he croons over what he perceives as Commissioner Jones' amendment which would not have happened at all without Cindy Meadows and Sara Comander.

On June 14, 2016 Tony Anderson chatted...
Tonight, the BCC will discuss an amendment to county ordinances, sponsored by Commissioner Jones, to prevent obstructions on the beach, including signs, chains, fencing, and ropes.

More crooing about C. Jones but NOTHING about the vendor issue.

On June 13, 2016 Someone speaking for Mr. Anderson wrote...
The last few years have seen an unprecedented number of signs, ropes, and chains blocking our beaches – all designed to prevent Walton County residents and visitors from enjoying our natural resources.

But said nothing about the number of vendor chairs that also prevent residents and visitors from enjoying OUR beaches.

It was also the closest whoever is handling that site came to the issue of customary use commenting...
Tony will take a stand in favor of customary use, which protects the public's right to use and enjoy our beaches. Tony knows that we must strengthen our beach rules, but he also believes that it should never be a crime to take a peaceful walk on a beach in Walton County. We're better than this.

That comment was amended on June 15, 2016 by the comment from Mr. Anderson himself that "The next step in cleaning up our beaches must be: immediately passing a customary use policy to protect public beach use rights"

Last edited:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Just guessing, but maybe this PAC just sees Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Nipper as constructive, thoughtful political "outsiders" and feel that Walton County needs some new perspectives in the BCC. Given many of the comments that end up on this forum and other social media, that may have some appeal to many.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just guessing, but maybe this PAC just sees Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Nipper as constructive, thoughtful political "outsiders" and feel that Walton County needs some new perspectives in the BCC. Given many of the comments that end up on this forum and other social media, that may have some appeal to many.

If that's true, I'd like to know Mr. Fletcher's position on customary use and the over abundance of vendor chairs on our beaches. He is posting here and is acutely aware of these threads!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
How do you get that? I don't see anything about customary use on the mailings.

Not everything is viewed through a camera lens.;)

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Dawn I think people are connecting dots and taking a guess. Customary use is the most controversial issue of this campaign cycle and people want to know an answer. These mailers are fairly innocuous but they make no mention of a position on customary use. So, combine that with other candidates stated positions, the fact that no District 5 candidate was awarded a mailer and both of them have stated unequivocal support for customary use and the rather tepid support Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Nipper have given to customary use and people have drawn conclusions. I don't know if they are right or not but I still would like to know why a Washington PAC cares about a Walton County Commission race. But I cannot fault Mr. Fletcher or Ms Nipper for "accepting" this gift. Legally they cannot coordinate with a PAC and they cannot stop a group from liking them.

I don't think is is safe to assume the PAC is actually from Washington. Anyone can get a Washington DC address to prop up a business or organization.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

A PAC that just supporting candidates "because they are political outsiders" is a very shallow agenda.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
If that's true, I'd like to know Mr. Fletcher's position on customary use and the over abundance of vendor chairs on our beaches. He is posting here and is acutely aware of these threads!

A PAC that just supporting candidates "because they are political outsiders" is a very shallow agenda.
Note that I said constructive, thoughtful political outsiders. Did you see the candidate forum? Have you talked to them? They both seem like very genuine people with a good grasp of the issues. Most of the local candidates seem very approachable. Seems to me that voters have a fairly good slate of candidates to talk to about their various concerns and then vote for the candidate that lines up best with their beliefs.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Note that I said constructive, thoughtful political outsiders. Did you see the candidate forum? Have you talked to them? They both seem like very genuine people with a good grasp of the issues. Most of the local candidates seem very approachable. Seems to me that voters have a fairly good slate of candidates to talk to about their various concerns and then vote for the candidate that lines up best with their beliefs.

Which candidate forum? The one held by the WCTA? If so, I'm repeating myself here but for health and personal reasons I am not able to attend them which makes the online information I can accurately glean from the Candidates beneficial to me. I'm sure I am not alone...NoWal has a large elderly population, my own father is pretty much house bound and relies heavily on the internet for outside communication as do other personal friends of mine.