Who is this group? Anyone know?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Hudson, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Misty

Misty Banned

One last comment @Phil Good then I'm going to go drink some calming tea (or a bottle of tequila :drink:) to settle my last nerve that you systematically set out to get on! I don't give a tinkers damn what the majority of the BCC thinks of me (there are 2 exceptions) because I don't think much of dirty politicians who don't operate in the Sunshine, have hidden agendas and do not support the people they were elected to serve. It's also why I don't attend BCC meetings anymore. I cant afford to drink and herbal remedies don't offer the same effect that staying away from the bullshit does.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Misty

Misty Banned

Very poor analogy!! Taxi's and ice cream trucks are not stationary for the majority of a day and do not prevent the normal flow of traffic or prevent other drivers from getting to their destination!

3. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Every other person on facebook.

4. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

It is amazing that some people think that being rude and disrespectful somehow drives their point home. When the whole vendor issue came up I basically sided with the vendors. I figured they were just earning a living and providing a service. I have been convinced by the evidence that in fact vendors are harming tourism and aggravating locals and need to be reined in. I am sure I am not the only person who has changed their mind due to bad actions by vendors.

5. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Right again Danny. I believe a public beach is a public beach; no commercial activity. Or, at the very least they need to be reined in as you say.

6. Danny Glidewell

I don't think a total ban is politically feasible but I do think not allowing vendors at neighborhood accesses and selling franchises to one vendor for each regional access would be a reasonable compromise. I also think a total ban of ghost setups on public beaches is necessary and a total prohibition of setups closer than 30 feet to the water as well. If this does not solve the problem then we can go farther. Our total economy must come before any individual or group.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. LarsAtTheBeach

LarsAtTheBeach Beach Fanatic

Thank you for the reply.
    Follow up question...
    Where would you draw the line? Meaning, can I setup a hotdog business at a public beach? Three hot dog stands? Ten? Twenty?
    Can I set up hot dog stands that are empty with no hot dogs...just to promote the other hot dog stands?

Thank you-

8. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Why not? PCB and Bay county got tired of scooters....

9. Danny Glidewell

I maybe wrong but I think getting three votes for a total ban isn't happening right now. I am not sure any restrictions can get three votes but I think it is worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Phil Good

Phil Good Beach Lover

If there is a demand for it, set up as many stands as you can and still remain profitable. Have you been to NYC lately? Hot dog stands everywhere!

11. Misty

Misty Banned

I think a binding referendum would decide it quite succinctly.

12. LarsAtTheBeach

But
    That's part of the point. The ghost beach chair set ups indicate there is not that large of a demand.

13. Phil Good

Phil Good Beach Lover

How many "ghost" setups do you think there are? If some one paid for it, it's not a ghost set whether they're sitting in it or not.

14. LarsAtTheBeach

Understood.
    There do appear to be a lot of ghost sets.
    Do you set up before and wait on a customer? Or set up after a customer requests and pays?

15. Phil Good

Phil Good Beach Lover

You might see a few on Sunday mornings but by Sunday night everything is rented for the whole week this time of year.

16. bentley williams

bentley williams Beach Fanatic

Chairs should only be on the beach if the customer is.

17. LarsAtTheBeach

How is that fair for others on Sunday afternoon?

18. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Hey guys, the purpose of this thread is to find out who the Ghost Organization putting out flyers and it now has devolved into a private beach vender discussion because of an anonymous person who rents chairs got us off topic. Here is the place for that discussion. Policy on Personal Beach Chairs vs Vendor

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. LarsAtTheBeach

20. Porkchop

Porkchop Beach Comber

When Our Generation launched their Facebook page (which was probably a couple months ago, now) I received an invite to "like" the page. I posted on the page asking what the group's position was on Customary Use and received no reply. A week later I posted a follow up question asking why they hadn't responded. Both posts were then deleted by their page's administrator.

One might wonder why a group of concerned citizens would ignore, then delete, a polite question concerning what is far and away the single most contentious and polarizing issue of this election cycle. Their website makes no mention of the issue either.

I can't imagine a scenario where the challengers they're backing have not been "vetted" in terms of their Customary Use position, prior to the mailers being sent and the YouTube smear campaign being launched. Our Generation isn't going to spend that kind of money only to replace existing pro-customary use commissioners with new pro-customary use commissioners.

I think the name "our generation" is an attempt to appear as if they're a young, hip, grassroots, Bernie Sanders-esque, anti-establishment/incumbent movement. My guess is that they are most likely well-healed beachfront property-owning baby boomers trying to keep the plebeians off their lawns.