• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Misty,

Your emphatic assertions that there are no private beaches in Walton County is demonstrably wrong as a matter of law and recorded deeds to the contrary. Hundreds of people have legal recorded deeds that state they own their beach by virtue of having paid for them in a voluntary exchange of money for private property in full accord with state and federal law. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in the not distant past that sand seaward of the MHWL belongs to the state and that landward belongs to the deed holder of record. As I imagine you are aware, that case was litigated by Okaloosa Island folks represented by Mr. Seifert.

Under state law, where publicly funded beach restoration has been done, the ECL established in concert with that renourishment supplants the MHWL as the demarcation between public and private property.

Had you been at the candidate forum, watched it on tv, or later viewed it online, you’d have heard the candidates’ answers re customary use. While that may be the hot button issue of the moment, Walton County has and will continue to have other overarching problems than customary use, and as the candidates all acknowledge, that issue is going to be settled by the courts, not the BCC or candidates for that posting. It’s one thing to have an opinion. It’s better to have a well-informed one. If you’ve not been to the beach in many years, you need to try to pay it a visit some weekend about now. It’s a disturbing eye-opener. Walton County has not been and continues to fail at being a good steward of the resources of this county, most especially as relates to the golden goose of the beach, the businesses serving the tourists and locals, and the infrastructure supporting them so inadequately.

The reality of Walton County, your hyperbole aside, is that a major threat to citizens expressing opinions critical of the powers that be is retribution against the interests or person of that citizen. While there are no known gulags in our fair county, I can assure you that at least one of the players behind the officials of our govt has sent armed goons to threaten and intimidate business opponents in the past. Another close friend openly critical of the powers that be had armed thugs show up at my friend’s place of business a couple of years ago, posing as BATF agents, looking for my friend and using a bogus rationale. The threats are sufficient that the FBI has been and likely still is quietly involved, watching for some of these folks to make the slip that impels federal action at last.

Neither of us knows who the agents of the 501c4 putting out the ads are, and neither of us has any knowledge of why they support Bill and Melanie. Those agents’ motivation is entirely beside the point to me. I’m going to vote for the folks whom I believe will bring a fresh perspective and a clean break with the past. I’d love it if they got in and voted for everything I favored, but I’ll settle for folks who are devoted to following the law and trying their dead level best to do what they, after appropriate due diligence, believe to be the best thing for the citizens of Walton County, and doing so in a courteous and respectful manner.

I'm sorry you have health and personal reasons that preclude your attending the candidate forums sponsored by the WCTA. The recent one is available online for your viewing. I believe the link is in the WCTA website, and I'm pretty sure Bob Hudson has posted that link on one of these Sowal forums. I don't know if the upcoming DFS forum will be video and available both on local TV channel 24(?) and later online. but I believe that is planned.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Which candidate forum? The one held by the WCTA? If so, I'm repeating myself here but for health and personal reasons I am not able to attend them which makes the online information I can accurately glean from the Candidates beneficial to me. I'm sure I am not alone...NoWal has a large elderly population, my own father is pretty much house bound and relies heavily on the internet for outside communication as do other personal friends of mine.
Misty, I believe that it was posted in another thread on Sowal. Try this link and see if it works: Walton County Taxpayers Association Commissioner Candidate Forum SWHS - YouTube

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
lazin&drinkin...would your reference to deeds be those who were issued quit claim deeds? It's unfortunate that so many of the things the County has done in the past have resulted in so many Court cases and decisions that will continue into the future.

The reality of Walton County, your hyperbole aside, is that a major threat to citizens expressing opinions critical of the powers that be is retribution against the interests or person of that citizen. While there are no known gulags in our fair county, I can assure you that at least one of the players behind the officials of our govt has sent armed goons to threaten and intimidate business opponents in the past. Another close friend openly critical of the powers that be had armed thugs show up at my friend’s place of business a couple of years ago, posing as BATF agents, looking for my friend and using a bogus rationale. The threats are sufficient that the FBI has been and likely still is quietly involved, watching for some of these folks to make the slip that impels federal action at last.

I'm sure part of your reference is in regard to Suzanne Harris and the hell she went through. I'm all too aware of what the powers that be have done in the past and have also been on the receiving end of it. No one was armed thankfully and it didn't involve the FBI but is did involve one dumb, stupid ex-City Marshall whose antics later cost him his job and brought out issues of his honesty and integrity...2 precious commodities that can destroy a career in law enforcement. Proud to have been a part of that little experience in the end but must admit it was a bit disarming when the Sheriff's office showed up at my door. (I lived in the county at the time.) I've also witnessed first hand Jerry Jones (C. Jones' husband) threats and intimidation. He was really sorta comical and it was very difficult to understand what he was spewing in my face but I think it was something to the effect of if I didn't keep my mouth shut, I'd get knocked on my a$$. Neither threats stopped me from having my opinions....obviously. ;)

Last edited:

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
How do you get that? I don't see anything about customary use on the mailings.

I just don't know of any other issue in this election that would cause someone to spend that much money to promote a candidate. However, I'm not a registered voter in Walton County, so there very well may be some other big money issue I'm unaware of. I do try to keep up with locale politics because I own property in Nowal and Sowal.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Customary Use affects everybody, whether you own property in SoWal or whether you visit once a year. It affects the cash flow of a whole lot more people that aren't registered voters in Walton, than it does the humble few that live here and give a damn.

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
Customary Use affects everybody, whether you own property in SoWal or whether you visit once a year. It affects the cash flow of a whole lot more people that aren't registered voters in Walton, than it does the humble few that live here and give a damn.

I don't live there( I hope to one day). I have been a regular visitor all my life, and I care very deeply about customary use. I hope to continue to be able to visit the area and enjoy the beaches just as it has been my custom to do since I was born.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
We were customarily using it, last night, to view fantastic fireworks on the beach like we have for way over half a century.

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Misty,

Your emphatic assertions that there are no private beaches in Walton County is demonstrably wrong as a matter of law and recorded deeds to the contrary. Hundreds of people have legal recorded deeds that state they own their beach by virtue of having paid for them in a voluntary exchange of money for private property in full accord with state and federal law. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in the not distant past that sand seaward of the MHWL belongs to the state and that landward belongs to the deed holder of record. As I imagine you are aware, that case was litigated by Okaloosa Island folks represented by Mr. Seifert.

Under state law, where publicly funded beach restoration has been done, the ECL established in concert with that renourishment supplants the MHWL as the demarcation between public and private property.

Had you been at the candidate forum, watched it on tv, or later viewed it online, you’d have heard the candidates’ answers re customary use. While that may be the hot button issue of the moment, Walton County has and will continue to have other overarching problems than customary use, and as the candidates all acknowledge, that issue is going to be settled by the courts, not the BCC or candidates for that posting. It’s one thing to have an opinion. It’s better to have a well-informed one. If you’ve not been to the beach in many years, you need to try to pay it a visit some weekend about now. It’s a disturbing eye-opener. Walton County has not been and continues to fail at being a good steward of the resources of this county, most especially as relates to the golden goose of the beach, the businesses serving the tourists and locals, and the infrastructure supporting them so inadequately.

Neither of us knows who the agents of the 501c4 putting out the ads are, and neither of us has any knowledge of why they support Bill and Melanie. Those agents’ motivation is entirely beside the point to me. I’m going to vote for the folks whom I believe will bring a fresh perspective and a clean break with the past. I’d love it if they got in and voted for everything I favored, but I’ll settle for folks who are devoted to following the law and trying their dead level best to do what they, after appropriate due diligence, believe to be the best thing for the citizens of Walton County, and doing so in a courteous and respectful manner.

I'm sorry you have health and personal reasons that preclude your attending the candidate forums sponsored by the WCTA. The recent one is available online for your viewing. I believe the link is in the WCTA website, and I'm pretty sure Bob Hudson has posted that link on one of these Sowal forums. I don't know if the upcoming DFS forum will be video and available both on local TV channel 24(?) and later online. but I believe that is planned.

"The reality of Walton County, your hyperbole aside, is that a major threat to citizens expressing opinions critical of the powers that be is retribution against the interests or person of that citizen. While there are no known gulags in our fair county, I can assure you that at least one of the players behind the officials of our govt has sent armed goons to threaten and intimidate business opponents in the past. Another close friend openly critical of the powers that be had armed thugs show up at my friend’s place of business a couple of years ago, posing as BATF agents, looking for my friend and using a bogus rationale. The threats are sufficient that the FBI has been and likely still is quietly involved, watching for some of these folks to make the slip that impels federal action at last."

Dear Lazin&drinkin,

The above paragraph is shocking, disturbing and disgusting that this is the way, by any means, certain people use to get what they want in our county. I have heard stories but few first hand accounts. Is there anyone actively documenting such activity?

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Misty,

I'm not referring to quit claim deeds. And I've certainly heard the stories, lots of them, over the years about Jerry Jones from a number of different folks. Witnessed one of his threatening moves toward a friend one evening in Sandestin. I was pointing my finger at him and shaking my finger and my head in warning to him. For whatever reason, he elected to call off his charge around his truck toward us. Probably all the witnesses present.

Dave,

I mentally catalog these things as I witness and hear of them. Other citizens do the same. The FBI is keeping score, but lots of luck getting them to tell you what they are doing. I can tell you they have had and continue to have an interest in this stuff in our county. Another friend with an intense interest in political goings on in Walton was warned by the FBI to quit asking questions about a certain powerful entity in our county, that people could die for doing stupid things like that. The fellow in question told me this face to face.

Where there is the opportunity for quick riches, there lies a feeding trough for the greedy and unethical of the world. Watching them feed is ugly. You are obviously an idealistic man. There are lots of folks who are as cynical and dishonest as you are idealistic. There are more than a couple of those types in our little nirvana by the sea, and they will do what they have to do to win.