• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, I believe that it was posted in another thread on Sowal. Try this link and see if it works: Walton County Taxpayers Association Commissioner Candidate Forum SWHS - YouTube

Yes. It worked. Thank you. I may have missed it (if so please direct me to which video it was on) but I didn't see or hear anything on the vendor issue as it relates to customary use. That's important to me but not a top priority.

I heard allot of rhetoric from a current Commissioner about holding folks accountable for their actions (except for how it relates to him and his actions or lack thereof) and I heard allot about issues surrounding developers, the LDC and Comp plan @LarsAtTheBeach. and lots finger pointing at whose to blame for those issues. My opinion of Chapman hasn't changed, I think he was an ok cop but he is still just more recycling.

I liked some of the things Dixon had to say (not all) but I don't like the fact he's an admitted "good ole boy born and raised in Walton County"!

Ok here's the shocker,,,,well never mind wait for it. :)

I want to see Ms. Meadows re-elected (that is not the shocker,)

The meeting did not seem very well attended and that's disappointing SoWalers!!

I wasn't much impressed with Bryan or Kramer at all.

Part 1 of the shocker...I did appreciate most everything Mr. Fletcher said and he is assuredly much more versed than the incumbent. Part 2 shocker....he is in my opinion a serious contender and I would support him over Chapman! I'm still not happy about those fliers though!!

Part 3...I think Ms. Nipper was courageous in admitting that she is out of her league so to speak but that she is willing and wants to learn. Her nervousness was understandable. I think she made a conscious and concerted effort to research the issues that were addressed and most of her answers were made with conviction. Personally, I don't think she is ready to be a County Commissioner but I believe with a united team behind her she is the best shot Walton County has going forward. If I had to choose tonight between herself and Imfield I can honestly say I don't want to see Mr. Imfield re-elected but I'm still not certain she is ready. Put on your big girl panties Ms. Nipper, its time to pony up!. :)

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Misty,

I'm not referring to quit claim deeds. And I've certainly heard the stories, lots of them, over the years about Jerry Jones from a number of different folks. Witnessed one of his threatening moves toward a friend one evening in Sandestin. I was pointing my finger at him and shaking my finger and my head in warning to him. For whatever reason, he elected to call off his charge around his truck toward us. Probably all the witnesses present.

Dave,

I mentally catalog these things as I witness and hear of them. Other citizens do the same. The FBI is keeping score, but lots of luck getting them to tell you what they are doing. I can tell you they have had and continue to have an interest in this stuff in our county. Another friend with an intense interest in political goings on in Walton was warned by the FBI to quit asking questions about a certain powerful entity in our county, that people could die for doing stupid things like that. The fellow in question told me this face to face.

Where there is the opportunity for quick riches, there lies a feeding trough for the greedy and unethical of the world. Watching them feed is ugly. You are obviously an idealistic man. There are lots of folks who are as cynical and dishonest as you are idealistic. There are more than a couple of those types in our little nirvana by the sea, and they will do what they have to do to win.

This is the stuff of novels and is heartbreaking that this kind of despicable nastiness exists in our County. You would think in the 50's you would expect this kind of schoolyard, bullying bullshit but not now. This gets to the root of why we need change and big change to alter the leadership and governmental structure of South Walton County. There is so much that needs tending with a fair, steady hand. We need stewardship and vision. This should never be about the egos and interests of the few but for the good of our community and our Children's future. The use of fear, intimidation and smear is truly despicable and must be rooted out and stopped. I praise anyone who challenges, stands up to or exposes such behavior.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Dave, I agree that the tone of the electoral process should be more dignified and issues oriented. I agree that "fear, intimidation and smear" has no place in our discourse. But politicians are politicians and government is government and the same tactics that are used on the state and federal level are used on the local level. Local includes both county and municipal governments. I am afraid you will be very disappointed in the future if you think a South Walton municipal government will be any different or better than any other government entity or that the politicians will act any different. To quote an old song, :people are People."

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Dave, I agree that the tone of the electoral process should be more dignified and issues oriented. I agree that "fear, intimidation and smear" has no place in our discourse. But politicians are politicians and government is government and the same tactics that are used on the state and federal level are used on the local level. Local includes both county and municipal governments. I am afraid you will be very disappointed in the future if you think a South Walton municipal government will be any different or better than any other government entity or that the politicians will act any different. To quote an old song, :people are People."

"Broken Bad"

Danny, your important involvement and voice in the County and County politics goes much further back than mine does. I know I must sound naive but I just went down the rabbit hole and I don't like what I see or smell. You always offer an informed, steady, level opinion and I respect what you say. We might not always agree but you are an honorable person in my view who cares deeply about improving our County. I believe the system needs a shakeout and a retooling. I believe we need to work together to come up with solutions that come from open, honest dialog. We have had enough dirt in this county to fill the Gulf of Mexico; it needs to stop. Sure, people are people but there has to be a better way. And often the best way to get to that better way is to open the dialog and talk about new solutions and not maintaining the status quo. The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Can anyone tell me "it ain't broke?" Nope it's "broken bad" in my view. So politics is dirty. I believe we should have non-partisan elections in South Walton if we Incorporate. Many municipalities do this quite successfully. It takes the political parties out of the equation and provides for less manipulation shenanigans like are happening now in our County. All votes count and the issues become the focus instead of the political parties. Partisan vs. Nonpartisan Elections "According to a 2001 survey, 77 percent of the responding cities have nonpartisan elections, and 23 percent have partisan elections."

Last edited:

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I believe what Dave is saying is that it's time to throw out the bathwater. The baby is too dirty too clean so let's birth a new clean baby.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I believe what Dave is saying is that it's time to throw out the bathwater. The baby is too dirty too clean so let's birth a new clean baby.

No, we just need to throw out the bathwater. Precious babies always need clean water and you know? So do we.

Last edited:

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
No, we just need to throw out the bathwater. Precious babies always need clean water and you know? So do we.
This is the stuff of novels and is heartbreaking that this kind of despicable nastiness exists in our County. You would think in the 50's you would expect this kind of schoolyard, bullying bullshit but not now. This gets to the root of why we need change and big change to alter the leadership and governmental structure of South Walton County. There is so much that needs tending with a fair, steady hand. We need stewardship and vision. This should never be about the egos and interests of the few but for the good of our community and our Children's future. The use of fear, intimidation and smear is truly despicable and must be rooted out and stopped. I praise anyone who challenges, stands up to or exposes such behavior.

I can assure you this happened to me. He came around his truck with Cecilia in the passenger side and started coming straight at me with his finger pointed yelling. Don Riley told him to calm down and step back. Tow others also told him that. Cecilia was yelling out of the window. I said if you take another step toward me you will be sorry and reached in my purse to get my pepper spray. He then turned and left both of them still yelling through the open window.

My understanding from Bob Hudson after the race that Cecilia lost Jerry went to Bob's house with a gun. . Robert Nelson also told at a taxpayers meeting long ago that I attended Jerry Jones had left him a threatening message on his voice recorder. Alan Osborne can also tell his story of being threatened by Jerry and Cecilia.. Ask them all as I can only post what they told me.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I can assure you this happened to me. He came around his truck with Cecilia in the passenger side and started coming straight at me with his finger pointed yelling. Don Riley told him to calm down and step back. Tow others also told him that. Cecilia was yelling out of the window. I said if you take another step toward me you will be sorry and reached in my purse to get my pepper spray. He then turned and left both of them still yelling through the open window.

My understanding from Bob Hudson after the race that Cecilia lost Jerry went to Bob's house with a gun. . Robert Nelson also told at a taxpayers meeting long ago that I attended Jerry Jones had left him a threatening message on his voice recorder. Alan Osborne can also tell his story of being threatened by Jerry and Cecilia.. Ask them all as I can only post what they told me.

I was at Tastee Freeze. Jerry's threat was the result of losing his seat on the School Board when I discovered that he was handing our "scholarships" from his own pocket to ALL RICH, WHITE students whose parents were "influential" in Walton County. (Buying votes) No black students had ever been the beneficiary of the "Jones Scholarships".

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
"Broken Bad"

Danny, your important involvement and voice in the County and County politics goes much further back than mine does. I know I must sound naive but I just went down the rabbit hole and I don't like what I see or smell. You always offer an informed, steady, level opinion and I respect what you say. We might not always agree but you are an honorable person in my view who cares deeply about improving our County. I believe the system needs a shakeout and a retooling. I believe we need to work together to come up with solutions that come from open, honest dialog. We have had enough dirt in this county to fill the Gulf of Mexico; it needs to stop. Sure, people are people but there has to be a better way. And often the best way to get to that better way is to open the dialog and talk about new solutions and not maintaining the status quo. The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Can anyone tell me "it ain't broke?" Nope it's "broken bad" in my view. So politics is dirty. I believe we should have non-partisan elections in South Walton if we Incorporate. Many municipalities do this quite successfully. It takes the political parties out of the equation and provides for less manipulation shenanigans like are happening now in our County. All votes count and the issues become the focus instead of the political parties. Partisan vs. Nonpartisan Elections "According to a 2001 survey, 77 percent of the responding cities have nonpartisan elections, and 23 percent have partisan elections."

Dave, thank you for the kind words. I also think non-partisan local races would be an improvement on our electoral process. Local issues rarely divide along Republican/Democrat lines but depend on many other local factors. I think the best way is to run everybody in August and then let the top two run in November unless a candidate gets 50% +1 in August.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Dave, thank you for the kind words. I also think non-partisan local races would be an improvement on our electoral process. Local issues rarely divide along Republican/Democrat lines but depend on many other local factors. I think the best way is to run everybody in August and then let the top two run in November unless a candidate gets 50% +1 in August.

Ditto that Danny, I know I spoke of Non Partisan elections in the context of Incorporating South Walton but what about County elections? How could that be changed?

Here is an article from the National Association of Counties
http://www.naco.org/sites/default/files/documents/County Elections Partisian or Non Partisian.pdf

Last edited: