• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
You apparently have no clue that I used to work for the Clerk of Court, very closely with the Property Appraiser, I have been here all of my life, and I own waterfront property. I'm fairly well-versed in beach ownership.
Again, your "premium" is based on unfettered access to the beach, and the unimpeded sight, sound and smell of the gulf. The original developers of our beachfront communities - who I remember, as most were friends with my parents - often fashioned their deeds to the MHWL because, back then, there was no CCL and the MHWL was used in order to protect those who bought beachfront from anything being built between the edge of the bluff and the Gulf. There was no intent to block the beach for recreational use. People who owned beachfront in years past understood the spirit of the beach, and never dreamed of impeding access and use of any portion of the beach.

Yes, your tax bill is based in part on what you paid for the property. But the sand itself is not an issue, as the sand does nothing that a home facing the Gulf doesn't already do - except make elitists believe the beach is theirs and theirs alone. Your assessment is based on linear width "front feet" of the bluff.

I believe you are too far out over your skis.

You evidently know more than most that intent in real property is expressed in deed restrictions, easements, covenants, dedications, all which are legally recorded. It is not expressed in emotional pleadings, moral judgement, cocktail party antidotes, or how long you've lived here, or who your parent's knew.

Please post a deed which contains the language to support your claim.

Shannon

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
On the sugar white sand of South Walton is a war over who has the right to the beach.

private+property+sign.jpg

"Well, I'm one of the private property owners and I've saved all my life to have this," Shannon Lince said.

The whirlwind has divided the county and now property owners are saying enough is enough.

"I really don't know where the mob mentality comes from. I'm tired of being villainized," Lince stated.

When it comes to protecting their private property, Gulf-front homeowners are drawing a line in the sand.

"My husband and I, he went to war to fight for our freedoms and I am going to fight tooth and nail for my property rights, just like anybody else should," Lince said.

As the issue grows, she said the tension is becoming unbearable.

"I've been threatened, my husband has been threatened. We've put out legal documents, we've put out legal statutes and people don't care," Lince said. "They don't care what the law is. They don't care what your deed says, they just want it for themselves."

She said she feels like most South Walton property owners are being left to fend for themselves.

"I've had an older gentleman in my neighborhood harassed, screamed at, pushed down. We've had property stolen, signs stolen," Lince said. "This is still America and I believe all these officials have a duty to protect me as a citizen and protect my property rights."

And although some beachgoers disagree with her, she said she is standing her sand.

"This is all about money and taking something someone else has. Now, if the county is going to come after me with my own tax dollars, my exorbitant tax dollars that I'm paying to be on the beach, then we have a problem and I'm going to go after them," Lince said.

It's a fight that's far from over.

Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson said his office takes threats very seriously. He says if anyone, property owner or citizen, is being harassed or threatened, call the sheriff's office.

A county divided: Beach property owners draw a line in the sand

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
On the sugar white sand of South Walton is a war over who has the right to the beach.

private+property+sign.jpg

"Well, I'm one of the private property owners and I've saved all my life to have this," Shannon Lince said.

The whirlwind has divided the county and now property owners are saying enough is enough.

"I really don't know where the mob mentality comes from. I'm tired of being villainized," Lince stated.

When it comes to protecting their private property, Gulf-front homeowners are drawing a line in the sand.

"My husband and I, he went to war to fight for our freedoms and I am going to fight tooth and nail for my property rights, just like anybody else should," Lince said.

As the issue grows, she said the tension is becoming unbearable.

"I've been threatened, my husband has been threatened. We've put out legal documents, we've put out legal statutes and people don't care," Lince said. "They don't care what the law is. They don't care what your deed says, they just want it for themselves."

She said she feels like most South Walton property owners are being left to fend for themselves.

"I've had an older gentleman in my neighborhood harassed, screamed at, pushed down. We've had property stolen, signs stolen," Lince said. "This is still America and I believe all these officials have a duty to protect me as a citizen and protect my property rights."

And although some beachgoers disagree with her, she said she is standing her sand.

"This is all about money and taking something someone else has. Now, if the county is going to come after me with my own tax dollars, my exorbitant tax dollars that I'm paying to be on the beach, then we have a problem and I'm going to go after them," Lince said.

It's a fight that's far from over.

Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson said his office takes threats very seriously. He says if anyone, property owner or citizen, is being harassed or threatened, call the sheriff's office.

A county divided: Beach property owners draw a line in the sand
@Shannon Lince is that your sign in the photo?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I am done. It is evident that some here are of the "new" breed of beachfront owner; the kind who were duped into believing their sand was private and who were also duped into paying way too much for their postage stamp sized grassy yard.
Meanwhile, I will go back to every Sunday afternoon on the beach, usually in front of a house of an owner who "gets it." She has told us don't cause issues, clean up after yourself, I'm not here, but when I am, I'll come down and have a beer with you.
That, my friends, is how it used to be before greed took over and how it should be again.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
I am done. It is evident that some here are of the "new" breed of beachfront owner; the kind who were duped into believing their sand was private and who were also duped into paying way too much for their postage stamp sized grassy yard.
Meanwhile, I will go back to every Sunday afternoon on the beach, usually in front of a house of an owner who "gets it." She has told us don't cause issues, clean up after yourself, I'm not here, but when I am, I'll come down and have a beer with you.
That, my friends, is how it used to be before greed took over and how it should be again.

Who got duped? I'd rethink that one.

Shannon

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I believe you are too far out over your skis.

You evidently know more than most that intent in real property is expressed in deed restrictions, easements, covenants, dedications, all which are legally recorded. It is not expressed in emotional pleadings, moral judgement, cocktail party antidotes, or how long you've lived here, or who your parent's knew.

Please post a deed which contains the language to support your claim.

Shannon
Who are you trying to convince? I believe in Customary Use. I also believe it will be decided by the Courts and whatever side happens to win the legal challenge we all lose because of the arrogance and bitterness it has brought out in us all. But hey this is our society now. So everyone get your digs in because the superiority of our cause is more righteous than the others, no matter what side of the debate you are on. Just my opinion!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Right?!?! If I was some of these people I would be going after the realtor that told me I had a "Private beach" and a "small, quaint, close-knit community" but forgot to tell them they are moving into a "resort area" with one of the highest bed-tax collecting TDCs in the state of Florida and that my "neighbors" would be there from Sat. to Sat. and hail from all over the country.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Bob,
Who are you trying to convince? I believe in Customary Use. I also believe it will be decided by the Courts and whatever side happens to win the legal challenge we all lose because of the arrogance and bitterness it has brought out in us all. But hey this is our society now. So everyone get your digs in because the superiority of our cause is more righteous than the others, no matter what side of the debate you are on. Just my opinion!

Bob,

I'm sure you get that in most cases I'm responding to someone's post.

I'm not going around telling everyone that public beach property is being stolen for $100.

So, ask your question to everyone please. Funny how I'm the one who is supposed to stand down.

Shannon