• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
I read the Walton County Ordinance 2019-05 (updated Beach Activities Ordinance) and on Page 11 Item R, states "It shall be unlawful to place beach equipment on the beach within fifteen (15) feet of the water's edge or within fifteen feet (15) of the toe of the dune or line of permanent dune vegetation on any regional or neighborhood beach access."

Does that mean at Ed Walline Regional Beach access NO chairs can be within 15 feet of the water's edge, or does that apply only to Vendor chairs? Does that also apply along the entire coast line or just the public beach?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I read the Walton County Ordinance 2019-05 (updated Beach Activities Ordinance) and on Page 11 Item R, states "It shall be unlawful to place beach equipment on the beach within fifteen (15) feet of the water's edge or within fifteen feet (15) of the toe of the dune or line of permanent dune vegetation on any regional or neighborhood beach access."

Does that mean at Ed Walline Regional Beach access NO chairs can be within 15 feet of the water's edge, or does that apply only to Vendor chairs? Does that also apply along the entire coast line or just the public beach?
Definition. "Beach equipment means items generally used for swimming, sunbathing or beach recreation, including, but not limited to, beach chairs, umbrellas, tents, hammocks and volleyball nets."

Walton has NEVER enforced this. Should be deleted if Commissioners won't enforce it for everyone on public beaches. Note many "neighborhood" accesses are private property easements for public pedestrian crossing to the foreshore only; like at Vizcaya.
That's also why Chair vendors can not setup on Vizcaya's 33 foot pedestrian easement too.
Board of County Commissioners on 2019-03-26 9:00 AM - Regular Meeting - Mar 26th, 2019 << Must see TV. Video time 1:08:39 Walton TDC Beach Director Brian Kellenberger. Click and press video play.

Not sure Commissioners can use police powers to direct private property owners where they can recreate on their own property. That would be another litigation I'd guess. Like the 2017-05 private property signs and First Amendment litigation BFO prevailed against Commissioners. Cost Commissioners $185,000 in BFOs legal fees as I recall.
That's why 2019-05 Sec 22-55 Obstructions does not include signs like previous beach ordinances.

I made the same point in previous posts but ordinance section is meaningless. Good catch.
Customary Use of SoWal Beaches: Contact Governor Scott
Code Enforcement At Eastern Lake Today
Code Enforcement At Eastern Lake Today
Customary Use Will Happen On Sowal Beaches

Last edited by a moderator:

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
Walton has NEVER enforced this. Should be deleted if Commissioners won't enforce it for everyone on public beaches.

Should people call Code Enforcement or the Sheriff if Chair Vendors (or anyone else according to the wording) sets up within 15' of the water's edge on County property? Is the line from high tide, or low tide, or from anywhere the water edge is located while the chair is set up? What if someone sets up a chair and umbrella 15' from the water at low tide, must they move it back when the tide comes in so they are still 15' from water's edge at any time? What if someone is already set up behind them? Must the people behind them also move to make room or just the Vendors (or public) move their chairs to the back of the line? Has this ever been enforced? What if people refuse to move? If this has never been enforced does that mean any county ordinances can be ignored by Chair Vendors? Does that mean the Public can also ignore the ordinances? Does that conflict with the Sherriff telling people to set up chairs in the wet sand or does the Sherriff only mean only the wet sand along the coast line and not county property like Ed Walline? My questions have NOTHING to do with CU. I am asking about the ordinance on public property. The same wording is in the 2017 County Ordinance. Modern beach ordinance would overrule what people might have done 50-100 years ago on public property (like horses, cars, bonfires, overnight tent camping or even nude beaches).

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Should people call Code Enforcement or the Sheriff if Chair Vendors (or anyone else according to the wording) sets up within 15' of the water's edge on County property?
Great questions for the Walton Commissioners! First question is easy - code enforcement, not the Sheriff. Let us know how that goes. Let us know what commissioners say; if you can get a reply from any of them, much less all of them. They don't like to answer hard questions that don't make them look good. The Sheriff has a duty to follow the letter of the law and not make up law because it's hard to enforce - like "wet sand", legally defined MHWL, property boundaries. Government owned beachfront that the public can use also have a MHWL; not wet sand, property boundary.

I understand questions not CU related but the common denominator is the decades of inept Commissioners misunderstanding of the public supple & demand beach problem and failing to do their civil duty for all Walton citizens - including BFOS. Let's make the TDC stop marketing until infrastructure is fixed and stop the Commissioners from taxing tourist another 1% (5% total) and let those dollars go back into the local economy to grow jobs, not Commissioners' future campaign slogans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Reggie Gaskins crossed a line in a post and broke a forum rule. The post was deleted and he was given a temporary ban. A few people who have been banned have been allowed to reurn since the forum started in 2003. Sometimes things get heated and people act like jerks and then later cool off and show humility. He emailed sort of an apology, but also making accusations and giving instruction. [Let's just say he sucks at apologies. :lol: ]

Our rules are simple. If you can't follow them you will be asked nicely to leave, or you may be banned. It rarely happens. From an admin perspective, In the context of fair play and open mindedness, I am not concerned which side of an issue you are on. I am only concerned that you follow rules and treat people here with respect. We are proud of what our community has built here and worked hard to nourish it. Mostly the forum is self-moderated by the members. Don't hesitate to call someone out in a respectful way if they cross a line, and/or do it by direct message (conversation feature / private message).
SoWal forum rules & general info

Having said that, a bit if extra leeway is usually given to heated topics. Most members understand this. Please stick to attacking the topic and not the people. If a thread gets off course it may be locked, or moved to the lounge where heated controversy and griping/venting belong.

Thank you!

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
.....and he was given a temporary ban.
Just curious, how long?

I am only concerned that you follow rules and treat people here with respect. We are proud of what our community has built here and worked hard to nourish it. Mostly the forum is self-moderated by the members.
I’ve always imagined conversation at your dinner table must get very interesting at times. :)

BTW, personally speaking, I’ve always appreciated the information, both opinions and facts, that are afforded here. It’s the intentional mistruths and hypocrisy that offend me more than anything.

Suggestion: A post of mine was deleted a few weeks ago (“threatened” banning my account). I could not even remember what I even posted that could have crossed the line. You know, my memory is not so good since I’m getting older and using words like malarkey. Would it be possible to include the deleted post in a private message so that we can better understand where this “line” actually is relative to the thread and the heat of the moment? I truly have no idea what I said.

As mentioned, I wasn’t personally offended when called an ahole by LVT. But if the situation was reversed, would my account be banned? That’s probably more of a rhetorical question.

Thanks!

Auburn Fan

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Auburn
Reggie Gaskins crossed a line in a post and broke a forum rule. The post was deleted and he was given a temporary ban. A few people who have been banned have been allowed to reurn since the forum started in 2003. Sometimes things get heated and people act like jerks and then later cool off and show humility. He emailed sort of an apology, but also making accusations and giving instruction. [Let's just say he sucks at apologies. :lol: ]

Our rules are simple. If you can't follow them you will be asked nicely to leave, or you may be banned. It rarely happens. From an admin perspective, In the context of fair play and open mindedness, I am not concerned which side of an issue you are on. I am only concerned that you follow rules and treat people here with respect. We are proud of what our community has built here and worked hard to nourish it. Mostly the forum is self-moderated by the members. Don't hesitate to call someone out in a respectful way if they cross a line, and/or do it by direct message (conversation feature / private message).
SoWal forum rules & general info

Having said that, a bit if extra leeway is usually given to heated topics. Most members understand this. Please stick to attacking the topic and not the people. If a thread gets off course it may be locked, or moved to the lounge where heated controversy and griping/venting belong.

Thank you!

1. What specific rule did Reggie break?

2. Was Reggie given any warning or asked first nicely to edit his post?

3. Was Lake View Too's name calling and repetitive postings of our nation's president standing over a POW's grave respectful and kind? Why is he not banned?

4. Were you Kurt being kind and respectful by saying Reggie sucks at apologies?

Last edited:

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB

2. Was Reggie given any warning or e postings of our nation's president standing over a POW's grave respectful and kind? Why is he not banned?

Are you Reggie's momma? Sounds like he broke a rule and not your concern. If you don't like the way things go here, find another forum is the message I got. Lighten up Francis is the other message I have for you.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012

2. Was Reggie given any warning or asked first nicely to edit his post?

3. Was Lake View Too's name calling and repetitive postings of our nation's president standing over a POW's grave respectful and kind? Why is he not banned?

:banned:

:rotfl:

One of the rules is not to give moderators a hard time... sounds like you should be on facebook brah. :rolleyes: