• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
At my summer job up there, we'd have a dedicated trash bag for refundables, and when it filled up, we'd cash it in and buy pizza for lunch or dinner. It was a bright spot on a job that ran 9am to 9pm on Monday-Friday plus mandatory weekend hours.

Ray, my apologies for saying "Chill Out". I witnessed numerous tent frames left on the beach where we go at Eastern lake inlet for the last three weeks. I fear with the upcoming holiday, it will only get worse. We personally tote all our beach stuff in a Wonder Wheeler. I work hard to bring my stuff back and forth while few leave tent frames. My biggest problem is not the tents, discarded trash, or the concrete block I stumped my toe on in the inlet this morning but the County for failing to enforce a seemingly strict law. "Leave it or lose it" should be renamed to "Leave it and we will ignore it" Im tired of ignoring it. Who is with me, lets all get together and start piling up the tent frames on the county commissioners front lawn and then tell him to "Leave it or Lose it". :wave:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Speaking of trash, I have picked up a few beer cans out in between the sandbars of late. It is a shame that people cannot agree on what I would think would be a common decency issue. Don't discard of trash in that manner.

Then again, I've also found a few sunglasses in that go for about $150 bucks,
so I guess it is not all purposely set out into the water. But it is disgusting to see cigarettes, cigars and a host of other remnants left on the beaches.

But I just view it as 'people' and what happens when you have any number of people in any given area. It sinks to the lowest common denominator. The only reason we are not as bad as other beaches is because we don't have the numbers, as we would if highrises dotted our landscape.

I pick up trash, but like Shelly said, I wonder sometimes if it is worth it. I wish normal, everyday citizens who saw someone littering could site them and issue some sort of penalty.

Hey Otter, maybe he found yours? :dunno::wave:

Lost Ray Bans

Mike, thanks for cleaning up the trash that the trashy people leave!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Would make a wonderful bumper sticker...my only recommendation would be to add a logo showing a colorful beach sunset with the silhouettes of a line of crappy broken-down tent frames.

Great minds must think alike.:ninja::ninja::ninja:

What I am thinking about doing is spearheading a 'night out against crap' sunset party at Grayton soon. I think it would be nice to sell the stickers for a few bucks and donate the proceeds to Mary Brady to help with her legal fees.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
You could also try this group since they actively monitor County tax expenditures and would likely want to know about any possible revenue loss from upset visitors since the majority of tax revenues in Walton County are derived from the tourism industry.

WCTA Home Page

They have set up a free hotline 1-888-794-WCTA. It's for reporting waste, fraud or abuse of tax dollars, but this sounds like it could lead to lost tax dollars. Either way, This may mean less money in the coffers and they may want to take a position on it.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not picking up any trash off the beach this summer--not a butt, not a Capri-Son package, not a hair scrunchie. I'm not going to go down for walks with trashbags; I'm not going to pick up the junk left over from the 4th of July and New Years fireworks displays; I'm not going to participate in any "beach cleaning" gatherings.

Since I've returned from my trip to UK, I went to the beach once and came away totally disgusted; I haven't walked along the beach since--it just isn't as pleasant as it used to be and has gotten worse with every passing year. First it was the trash; then it was the "overnight toys and stuff;" next came the tents; and this year's "junk of choice"....the inflatable kiddy pool! :shock:. WTF???

Maybe if the trash and junk piles up and the visitors start to complain, the officials will finally "get it" and do something about it--until then, my apologies to the turtles, I can only hope that we'll get a handle on this situation come nesting time next year.

Thanks for joining a cause Shelly. I made this same call on the thread about the lady being arrested on June 17. I stated then that I pick up several grocery bags per each of the four days per week that I walk beaches. It's only been 5 walking days since making that commitment, but that means 15 grocery bags of garbage are still on the beach or someone else has had to pick it up. I can honestly say that I've already noticed the difference on the two stretches of beach that I walk. There is more junk. I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns on this. If people's private property includes their broken shovels and empty beer cans, then they can pick 'em up themselves.

Every day I walk, I do take a digital camera and I take photos of the tents and chairs. The pool across from Tom Thumb down on the West end is nearing 4 weeks and still sits there, waiting for an owner. TDC can't tag it and nobody can remove it. It may be there all summer. I'm surprised I haven't prompted someone to steal it yet. It's a beaut! 12 feet across and cup holders! No, I'm not advocating stealing. I am advocating removing abandoned property.
Oh, wait.....I get it. Maybe the owners are planning to return in August and their pool will still be there for them. How dumb of me not to think of that. :doh:

Last edited:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not picking up any trash off the beach this summer--not a butt, not a Capri-Son package, not a hair scrunchie. I'm not going to go down for walks with trashbags; I'm not going to pick up the junk left over from the 4th of July and New Years fireworks displays; I'm not going to participate in any "beach cleaning" gatherings.

Since I've returned from my trip to UK, I went to the beach once and came away totally disgusted; I haven't walked along the beach since--it just isn't as pleasant as it used to be and has gotten worse with every passing year. First it was the trash; then it was the "overnight toys and stuff;" next came the tents; and this year's "junk of choice"....the inflatable kiddy pool! :shock:. WTF???

Maybe if the trash and junk piles up and the visitors start to complain, the officials will finally "get it" and do something about it--until then, my apologies to the turtles, I can only hope that we'll get a handle on this situation come nesting time next year.

Thanks for joining a cause Shelly. I made this same call on the thread about the lady being arrested on June 17. I stated then that I pick up several grocery bags per each of the four days per week that I walk beaches. It's only been 5 walking days since making that commitment, but that means 15 grocery bags of garbage are still on the beach or someone else has had to pick it up. I can honestly say that I've already noticed the difference on the two stretches of beach that I walk. There is more junk. I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns on this. If people's private property includes their broken shovels and empty beer cans, then they can pick 'em up themselves.

Every day I walk, I do take a digital camera and I take photos of the tents and chairs. The pool across from Tom Thumb down on the West end is nearing 4 weeks and still sits there, waiting for an owner. TDC can't tag it and nobody can remove it. It may be there all summer. I'm surprised I haven't prompted someone to steal it yet. It's a beaut! 12 feet across and cup holders! No, I'm not advocating stealing. I am advocating removing abandoned property.
Oh, wait.....I get it. Maybe the owners are planning to return in August and their pool will still be there for them. How dumb of me not to think of that. :doh:

I just may come get it Ash. My dog needs a pool. :blush: