• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Carry on...

John...you sound just like Tim on Rroject Runway! I think what you have said is very accurate and would add that paying the staff good wages probably figures in to that equation as well.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Smiling JOe said:
Seagrover, you were not dreaming. The owner's name is Amory (AM-or-e with the stress on the first syllable). Pretty clever to call the restaurant Amore, eh? Same name, different stressed syllable. I cannot wait for the temp to warm up a bit and I will see you on the deck. I may have to go to Amore tonight for my super-bowl pizza. I'll have to see how filling lunch is at the Red Bar first. ;-)

By the way, I understand that Amore just added Jenny to the lunch staff. She is another funn person that will take great care of you. ;-)

dang SJ!!! you are sure doing some eatin' this weekend! good for you... a little meat on those bones won't hurt a thing... :funn:

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Hmmm. What is Project Runway? Who is this Tim fellow and what does the comparison imply :dunno: ?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
John said:
Hmmm. What is Project Runway? Who is this Tim fellow and what does the comparison imply :dunno: ?

It's a reality show on Bravo. Tim is the fellow who gives the designers vying to win the competiton their projects to design. His catch phrase is "Carry on...". Sorry to bore you, no implication...it just caught my eye!

but....:welcome: to you!

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
tylerT said:
and i'm just one of those "fools" that offered a non-biased opinion and will spend an extra 20.00 on gas to have a good meal and get what i pay for.
I am fairly new to this board and initially I posted some thoughts without thinking and felt I got the same treatment, but you will find that the folks on this board are really, really nice people and very informed on most everthing in the area.

I think what they meant was why not put the extra 20$ on the quality without having to drive.

Personally, I don't mind paying the menu price for really good food and heck if most were like me, a couple slices, salad and a beer and I am stuffed (and no I am NOT skinny).

Give everyone a chance you will not only come to like them, you'll love em!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I love these food threads, too. Can't wait to try Amore and will probably do so when we're in SoWal the end of this month.

One way to support local restaurants even if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to get take-out from them and then go back to your porch and dine there. It's a good way to support the local restaurants, not have to cook, and not spend a bundle. We usually eat out about 1/3 of the time we're in SoWal, get take out about 1/3 of the time, and then cook (or eat left-overs from the take-out) the rest of the time. Since we're only in Sowal a week at a time or less, we end up having less food to buy (that we won't use up anyway). And, as someone said on another thread about how hard it is to clean and pack up the last day of the trip, planning to eat out or get take-out on the day or two before you leave is a great way to get piece of mind as well.

When we get take-out, we just call ahead and order the main meal and then use the drinks/desserts we have at home. Saves quite a bit of money (we have two kids to help put through college someday in the not-to-distant future). Certainly the restaurants don't make as much as when you eat at the restaurant, but it's still a way of supporting them.

We won't get take-out from Amore because we live on the other end of 30A (unless we decide to have a picnic on the beach on that end of 30A to try both a new beach and a new restaurant...hmmm...that's an idea), but we get take-out anywhere from Rosemary Beach to Seaside and it's still warm when we get home.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When tourist season arrives again in the near future, you can go to Amore for takeout pizza on Sundays and walk downstairs to the lawn and enjoy the concerts. It also will be cool to hear the music from sitting on the deck at Amore. ;-)

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
When tourist season arrives again in the near future, you can go to Amore for takeout pizza on Sundays and walk downstairs to the lawn and enjoy the concerts. It also will be cool to hear the music from sitting on the deck at Amore. ;-)

I'll have to find the calendar of dates/times for the concerts for this spring/summer. I like to recommend these excursions to guests (e.g., concert and pizza take-out). I put the business cards of places I really like and post them on the refrigerator. It's strange that for every two new restaurants/places I put up on the fridge when I get there, I usually have to take one or two off because they've gone out of business!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
I'll have to find the calendar of dates/times for the concerts for this spring/summer. I like to recommend these excursions to guests (e.g., concert and pizza take-out). I put the business cards of places I really like and post them on the refrigerator. It's strange that for every two new restaurants/places I put up on the fridge when I get there, I usually have to take one or two off because they've gone out of business!
I am not sure of the dates, but I think they are Memorial Day through Labor Day for the Gulf Place concerts and in the past, they have been on Sundays from 7-9pm.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks, I usually post all the concert/etc. dates for guests for Seaside, Rosemary Beach (not too much yet), Gulf Place, and now I think Village at So. Walton will have things. This thread has made me think I could add places to get good take-out near these events as well.