• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
I believe they were stacking these by the walkover. We usually stay in Destin and beach set ups are everywhere. where we stayed they were much more accomidating. They shaped the chair set ups in an U. That way each customer got a front view some were closer the the water but each had a front view. They did not take up as much space. Other people set up between the U's. Now I understand that during the busy moths they were in the straight lines. Close together. However in that condo almost every owner provided the service with the rental.

Tate 10 I bet we saw each other. It really was a great week of families having alot of fun. Did you see the shark that cruised through a couple of days?

Tate10

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2005
cleveland, ohio
Ray, They were setting them up so close there was no gap to get inbetween them. If you had 1 or 2 chairs you could get inbetween or infront, but with two kids a tent and alot of toys there wasn't room and we didn't want to cram other people.

familyof3, We probably set up right next to eachother and talked...lol. It was a great memorial weekend. There were a lot of families and the kids had plenty of other kids to play with. This has been the best summer for my Seagrove rentals in a couple years so I can't complain about that.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
The ordinance used to require specific minimum gaps between set-ups, but no longer does. The ordinance does however, address the set up distance from water, though it is vague.

Walton County, FL Code of Ordinances
ARTICLE IV. REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL BEACH AND WATER ACTIVITIES*
Sec. 22-60. Beach vendors.
(d) Operations and maintenance generally.

(1) Each vendor shall continuously have on file with the county a statement fully disclosing those natural persons owning, leasing, or having an ownership or leasehold interest in the vending operation and those natural persons who shall be principally responsible for its operation or who in any manner assist with the operation of the concession.

(2) The vendor must have and maintain a telephone or marine radio at its land- based operations center.

(3) All equipment shall be maintained so as to promote an attractive appearance and to ensure safety of operation and quality of services. Beach chairs and umbrellas must be placed at a reasonable set back from the water's edge.

(4) All activities related to the business operation of each vendor must be confined within its assigned and designated area.

(5) Each vendor shall have a trash receptacle on the site, and shall, at the end of each business day, be required to ensure that all trash resulting from operations within a distance of 100 feet measured in any direction is removed from the beach.

(6) Temporary beach storage boxes shall be allowed on the beach, but must be placed as far landward as possible but seaward of the vegetation lines. Each vendor shall ensure that all equipment is removed from the beach and stored after business hours each day. Failure to do so may result in the revocation of the license.

(7) Beach vendors shall be required to display the beach vendor permit number on each temporary storage box.

(8) No vending on private property without written authorization from the property owner. No vending on public beaches shall occur without written authorization from the county and any private property owner whose southern property line is contiguous to the proposed vending location.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Is there a simple method to know where the county may have authorized vendors to set up chairs on public beach space? I wonder what the approval would be based on. Perhaps a wedding?

I'm near the West end of 30-A and for the most part, the vendors are doing a pretty good job.

I really feel for the folks further West such as near Whales Tail where chairs are set up like theatre seating. :nono1:

librarian

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2009
I'm use seacrest access and also noticed the difference this year in setup-really a pain in trying to have stuff @ the beach and a lot of the setups were empty even on the 4th weekend. to come through the access you already have to show a pass so it makes no sense to set up that way and it's really tiring and hot when you've got a group and don't always want to pay for a setup but have to trudge around with your guests trying to find a place for everybody.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
temp.jpg Here is a recent pic from Sandestin. Helps to give some perspective.
"Honey, I'll be on the nineth row, section B, seat 42."

Zoom in and look at the right side of the photo. There are essentially nine rows if you include the personal setups on the water and the other personal set ups near the back.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Another couple years and this is where we'll be! :chill:

crowded-beach.jpg

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Sandestin is defiently not a place I would choose to stay b/c of the number of condos to beach ratio. There was plenty of room for those of us staying at Beachside. If someone had not tried to reserve the entire beach for phantom customers. I think of the 7 set ups covering the whole beach maybe 3 were used.