• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Gives me heart palpitations to see all those chairs. Our first experience was Sandestin. While I enjoyed my vacation, none of us can remember even seeing the beach/water. Our youngest was only 14 months at the time. I couldn't maneuver through all the chairs/umbrellas. The next year was Watercolor, and we've never looked back. As far as the umbrellas that are set up, as a tourist, I never really saw it as if those sitting in the chairs own the beach in front of the chairs. We set up where there is space. Hey, we're from Atlanta.... You learn to carve out a space... and move what is in your way (to get through). We don't pop up a tent in front of them, but the rest is fair game (well, I have been known to pop up a baby shade before). It's the beach for heaven's sake, it belongs to no one... and all of us. And trust me, that's what everyone will be screaming when a damaging storm comes through.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's private beach when it's nice and clean and they want to sit on it.

It's public when they want it nourished, patroled, picked up, de-oiled, and their seawall fines are due.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Scooterbug, you are so far off base with the above post I'm not even going to respond. At least regarding some beachfront owners your statement is far from true.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Few were complaining about their private beach rights when the tarballs were washing up.

And as previously discussed, your seawall is one of the few that even tried to be legal.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
No need to point fingers. But if you have to then blame the greedy folks who carved up the dunes decades ago and sold it off to folks who didn't know any better. There's houses now where there should have never been. The pigs are out of the barn. Can anyone tell me anywhere else than the panhandle where people are dumb enough to build on top of the dunes that are transitory and shifting and the only sane thing to do is build well away from the beach?

Some people think that Rosemary and Seaside and WaterColor left these great buffers and built so far back, well those buffers are gone now and everyone is vulnerable. Seawalls were one of the biggest travesties to ever happen around here as will easily be seen after the next big storm.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
Murray or anyone who knows i have a question. why are public trash cans the county empties daily allowed to be placed on so called "private beaches" i've seen several of these

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Ray, that is a great question. There seem to be many people who have a deed stating that they own to the MHWM. Only a small minority try to defend the beach as their own, trying to keep everyone from sitting on it. So, you wouldn't likely see those owners, like Andy A., who recognize that the beach is there for all to use, objecting to the TDC trash pick ups and trash receptacles placed on their property. That daily trash collection actually helps one of their biggest potential objections -- people leaving trash on the beach on their property.

It is those few owners who post the "private property" signs on the beach, who should have the problem with the trash cans, but I've never heard a complaint from them. Again, that may be because the purpose of the trash cans helps to keep their property clean.

It's the TDC's trash pick up that really helps South Walton maintain such beautiful beaches. Go over to PCB and walk the beach, and you will see beaches with noticeably more trash.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Murray is absolutely correct. The trash pick-up conducted by the TDC every day is one of the most useful services provided by the TDC. Also, those who do the actual pick-up are helpful and courteous and a credit as employees to the TDC. I spoke to one just last week about the issue of abandoned chairs, balls, boards, etc. and how we should handle them and between us we solved the problem. Beachfront property owners have their problems with beach usage, just like everybody else using the beach.

gratefulmama

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2011
My children keep telling us they want to go to PCB. Thier friends go there and stay in high rise condos and go parasailing - we come to So Wal visit the beach and the poolwithout fighting crowds of loud drunks - LIFE IS SO GOOD! Oh yeah - we also enjoy our family time!

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
From Muttscomics today. Reminded me of this thread. Coming soonish; can't wait!

071511.gif