• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Scooterbug
  • never said we wanted special treatment
  • did not want to serve the underage person
  • what is the deal about the credit card? I did not have a server and so the bartender needed one to take my food order.....
can we beat this dead horse any longer????? my dawg is hungry...:D

The law doesn't care if an underage person is drinking or just sitting there. Some parents/relatives/older siblings will slip an underage person drinks or sips to circumvent them not being "served."

Credit card comment was because locals don't need to use a credit card to start a tab at B&A.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Credit card comment was because locals don't need to use a credit card to start a tab at B&A.
That statement is too broad, and inaccurate. I have never seen a B&A bartender ask if someone was local, to know whether or not to ask for a credit card. I'm a local, and I've been asked for credit card at B&A's. However, like InletBeachDweller, I understand why they request one and have no objections for presenting one.

I will say that the B&A bartenders who know me, might be a little more friendly toward me than the masses, but it takes me just as long to get a drink as the next guy. Someone else mentioned local discounts. I've never received local discounts at B&A's.

I think you may be confusing "local" with "frequent.";-)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Should have used quotes around "local". The two meanings get confused & muddled a lot.

My definition of a "local" is someone who lives here and gets rewarded for being a good customer, usually with a discount to offset the tourist prices, no cover charge etc. Basically area businesses taking care of each other & their year round clientele.

A local is NOT someone who thinks they are entitled to better service and special privledges by virtue of their mailing address. I constantly hear "but I'm a local". Unless the TDC has started issuing an armband, the only way the people serving you know you are a non-tourist is by your face and repeat business.

If it complains like a tourist and acts entitled like a tourist.............it's a tourist!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hear you on that. However, as stated, these people complaining in this case, were not asking for special treatment. It sounds as though they were asking for the basics, like being served. Being a tourist or a frequent visitor should make little difference in that case.

I know the importance of taking care of frequent customers. Many businesses in SoWal, do very well with that. Many also recognize that today's first time customer could be tomorrow's frequent user, or the talk of the town, telling everyone about the experience. The employees have a chance to decide if they will be seeing the guests again, or if they will never see them again. It doesn't cost much to keep a frequent customer, but it cost a crapload to retain new customers.

egrp

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2005
lived in sowal for about a year and been to B&As many times...have never had any problems there and would even rate their service as good. it is my favorite bar in sowal and like their food too...although i haven't been there in a year. maybe things have changed??

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I will mention that a friend of mine was recently hired at B&A's and I know she will take good care of respectful customers.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sorry you guys had a bad experience - trust Dave to make it right. I've had some bad experiences at places in SoWal in the past and I try to take it in stride because I know that in most places the following week or month or season that the staff will be entirely new, as well as possibly the management, ownership or even the name of the place.

I think Bud and Alley's is AWESOME with a capital A. Dave and staff have worked hard for many years to make it a great experience for the millions that visit. No place is perfect and you can't expect the hottest spot in the hottest town in hot SoWal to be perfect all the time. I'm sure lots of spoiled (of course I don't mean you) Seaside renters from the burbs get huffy every night because they aren't treated like Queens or Kings of the beach and brought umbrella drinks on bended knee, but the rest of us, we're just beach bums and should be happy to have the title.