• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
from bldgblog this could be us if we're not careful.

jr

MontondeCasitas.jpg

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
Someone please let me know when it is proper decorum to call someone on this forum a "know it all bitc_", or an "opinionated jerk" or maybe an "economist wannebe". I really don't know how to act because I am a "money grabbing" "condo-flipping" "beholden to BOSS JOE" a-hole who wouldn't know a "doctoral thesis in economics" from a "hole in the wall".

In fact, don't bother. I'm outta here until I know the person described above accumulates enough gold bars to never have to spout her mindless diatribe on here again. Otherwise, I'm going to have to shoot myself in the head.

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
Santiago said:
Someone please let me know when it is proper decorum to call someone on this forum a "know it all bitc_", or an "opinionated jerk" or maybe an "economist wannebe". I really don't know how to act because I am a "money grabbing" "condo-flipping" "beholden to BOSS JOE" a-hole who wouldn't know a "doctoral thesis in economics" from a "hole in the wall".

In fact, don't bother. I'm outta here until I know the person described above accumulates enough gold bars to never have to spout her mindless diatribe on here again. Otherwise, I'm going to have to shoot myself in the head.

I feel your pain but don't let 'em get you down because then they will have won. My satisfaction is that wherever they go they travel with a dark cloud over their head and that can't be a good thing. We know that we have bought at a special beautiful place and that should be enough. Enjoy it with family and friends and create wonderful memories!!!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Smiling JOe said:
I don't think so, Bob. I recall the roofs being green in color.
You're right SJ, plus the homes are too far apart in that picture.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I agree with Gypsea, Santiago. I enjoy reading many of the posts (including your posts) and I learn much from them and enjoy the good will and information that comes from. I don't let negative, one-track-simplistic thinking and insulting language push my buttons (Ok, I do now and then, but for the most part I simply ignore these posts because I'm not learning anything from them). I read the many, many posts that are helpful and goodwilled and ignore the rest. As for negative/hostile versus positive/supportive comments on this board, to make you feel better, here's what the research suggests about postive/supportive versus negative/cynical thinking and behaving:

People who are repeatedly cynical or who like to find flaws without offering positive solutions and without being part of the solution tend to be rated lower by their managers and tend to be promoted less and paid less (And it's not because the employers don't want to hear bad news. It's because decision-makers need more complex thinking and can-do people rather than complainers. It's probably also related to the fact that employers know that cynics tend to put people off and employers need people who are team builders and who draw people toward them and the organization, not push them away.)

People who feel and express positive emotions tend to be more productive, get promoted more, and get paid more. They also tend to be healthier, happier, and have longer lives than people who feel and repeatedly express negative emotions (this is based on decades of solid academic and medical research -- of course it doesn't hold true for everyone, but the trends are supported). People who express positive emotions tend to set higher goals (it's hard to set high goals if you assume things will turn out badly), think in more complex ways and build on the ideas of others (positive emotions "broaden and build" whereas negative emotions "narrow and tear down -- stereotyping, for example, can be seen as narrow thinking caused by negative emotions), give and draw support from other people rather than cause people to avoid them -- which makes them more valuable employees. People who express positive emotions don't avoid negative information, but they don't let it dominate their thinking and they are better able to get support for their solutions (which contributes to their success). People who feel and express positive emotions tend to deal better with stress and tend to be more resilient. They also have a lower incidence of Alzheimers (positive emotions and complex thinking seem to have a protective effect even if the brain shows physical damage similar to that which leads to Alzheimers). People who are hostile have a higher risk of heart disease as well.

Here's a good summary of the research on positive versus negative emotions and their consequences on effectiveness, success, health, happiness, and longevity:
http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm/articles/hopesprings.htm?name=health+and+safety&type=subject

In short, Santiago, my point is that I hope you stay on this board enjoy the many goodwilled and thoughtful posts on this message board (There are probably 50 positive/supportive posts to every negative/cynical/insulting post), contribute as you always have, and ignore the few posts/posters that are negative and one-track-thinking. Too much negative energy (as you pointed out) isn't good for you, and there's ample research that it's not good for the negative thinker/hostile person/cynic either.

Sorry, SJ, I just couldn't help responding to Santiago's comment even though it's not really part of this thread... It would be too bad to lose Santiago!

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Santiago said:

To Kirsten's original point: I think this area received some bad press during last year's hurricane season, but it was short-lived and I am reading good things about SoWal and the Panhandle.

Hang in there Santiago - many of us can relate. We enjoy your thoughtul posts, unique point of view and reasoned thinking. Take heart - amidst all the bloviating, there are some words of wisdom.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Stay Santiago, Paula likes you. The HR copy proves it. Where else do you get this much entertainment while learning at the same time...ok, maybe the History channel, but negativity is only a portion of it. It's good we all don't think alike. When we start to think alike, the Nasdaq goes to 5000, starting wars seems reasonable, and high rise condos begin sprouting like weeds.