• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Dennis - damage reports

Quint said:
I know there was some home near the public beach access in Blue Mountain still under repair from Ivan. Has there been a report on how these faired?
It is very gone; all the way to the showers. I have photos which I will later post, but could not access the Beach to see the severe damage to the homes on the Gulf. I did not see any in the water, but they are sure to be coming close to going in.

suebee

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks, Joe. We have rented a house in Gulf Trace one house off the beach for Aug 6-13. Guess I'll contact the owner about damage to the house. In the past we have stayed gulffront, and loved it (I think I know the owner of the 7 gulffront properties!), but I'm glad we're off the beach this year. How is the beach at Gulf Trace?
e-mail me directly if you wish (suebee2317@aol.com)
Thanks again....so glad there were not injuries in Sowal...beaches will come back, property hopefully was heavily insured, but people are another thing!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kingbossdaddy said:
Kurt, thanks for the public service. If anyone has wandered down Blue Mountain Road, please report on whether the Mountain suffered an Opal-like slice or an Ivan-like beach restoration/stairway removal.
Houses on Gulf side of Blue Mountain Road, are high potential for damage, not wind, but erosion. Use extreme caution, especially if you were suffering before.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lbrin said:
Does anyone know the condition of the beach at the Gulf View Heights walkover?
It is gone, probably piled up at the beach side of Oyster Lake.

I repeat, I have not seen a complete beach walkover west of Seagrove One, and I did not see one there either, all the way to Destiny by the Sea. I did not stop at everyone, but I can use a bit of common sense and deductive reason. I suppose we should assume that all are out unless someone reports one as being open. However, Grayton Beach has easy access and the Red Bar reopened at 5:00pm today.

Kingbossdaddy

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Smiling Joe, thanks for your post. 644 Blue Mtn. Rd. on Gulf side lost 10 feet of the beachside yard. That is 10 linear feet of a 20-25 foot "mountain." This is the same amount of erosion we experienced in 1995 with Opal. Only 14 more feet and you reach the house. Thank God for a large street side front yard. BTW, the State has held up our permit for construction of a seawall for over 4 months. Any talk about what the federales might do now, besides beach/hill reclamation and 900,000 sea oat seedlings?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Dennis - damage reports

b-man said:
It sounds like you are talking about Conch Out. That is our house also. We were there just last week. My wife and I were that last ones to leave the house around 5:00 PM Friday. We wanted to cry thinking we might be the last ones to stay there. I am glad to hear that the house faired so well. Thanks so much for the update. :clap_1:
You looked like you were enjoying grilling. I almost stopped in for dinner.

Allirow

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Does anyone have info on homes on Oyster Lake? We are the bright red house on the longest pier on Oyster lake. Is the road still closed there and can we access our hose (21 Sugar Beach Dr. off of Allen Loop)? Heared the lake was high as the dock but houses were dry. Wondering when to head in from ATL to asses damage for ourselves. Thanks in advance for any info.
:dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
soozie58 said:
Does Anyone Have Any Info On Old Florida Village, It Is On The North Side About A Block East Of Gulf Place? Does That Part Of The Beach Have Power????? Thanks For All The Great Info, You All Have Helped To Put Our Minds At Ease!!!!
Power should be on there. No damage to report in Old Florida Village.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
UofL said:
We vacation in a duplex at the corner of Defuniak and Holtz(?) across from D&Ks. Hope the family that lives downstairs did alright. The water went around them during Ivan. They're suppose to move into a new home soon - hope that survived too.
They faired well.

Status
Not open for further replies.