• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
TooFarTampa said:
Looks like you just wrote a letter BR.

I think it's too late for mail. Anyone have a fax number?

You can send it to Vivian in the planning dept at this email address: shavivian@ co.walton.fl.us and ask that she distribute to the planning commission. She will send it to the planning commission or give it to them in their packets. Please address any of these letters to the Planning Commission. I'm told that they really do make a difference, although being at the meeting in person is the best thing to do. Actually, it's best to do both if you can. Unfortunately a few people that usually give a voice to these types of issues at meetings will be out of town this week, so we all have to do everything we can.

Beachrunner - your message would be great input to write in a letter. Sometimes emotions and feelings about a character of an area, is more important than facts. Just make your opinion known to the people that have to make the decisions.

SGB said:
You can send it to Vivian in the planning dept at this email address: shavivian@ co.walton.fl.us and ask that she distribute to the planning commission. She will send it to the planning commission or give it to them in their packets. Please address any of these letters to the Planning Commission. I'm told that they really do make a difference, although being at the meeting in person is the best thing to do. Actually, it's best to do both if you can. Unfortunately a few people that usually give a voice to these types of issues at meetings will be out of town this week, so we all have to do everything we can.

Beachrunner - your message would be great input to write in a letter. Sometimes emotions and feelings about a character of an area, is more important than facts. Just make your opinion known to the people that have to make the decisions.
Okay. I'll do an email and send an overnight message in the AM. What is the address?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
If anyone attends the meeting, will you tell us about how it went?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Mermaid said:
If anyone attends the meeting, will you tell us about how it went?

Doodle removed his request for the lots near Hickory Street. The Planning Commission approved the request for the lots at the border of Seagrove/Seaside and did not seem at all disturbed about doing so. The only thing they would do is say that only single family houses could be built there. How this is carried out after the land is sold to some other developer, I don't know. I can't tell you how disturbed I am about how developers and their greed always wins out over what the residents of Walton County want. Now that the lot at the edge of Seagrove is Infill, more will surely follow.

jimmyp5

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove
The BOCC website lists this meeting as Tuesday evening 6/13, not tonight the 12th, as part of the 6:45 item re board-sponsored amendments.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
This is my understanding of the meetings regarding this request:

There is a community meeting at the TDC regarding the "subdivision's" plans on Monday (today, the 12th) at 6:30. I think this meeting is Doodle's representatives presenting the plans for the "subdivision."

County Commission's public hearing is on June 13, at 5:00pm SW annex.

County Commissioner review of the amendment is June 27 at 5:00 in Defuniak.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
SGB said:
This is my understanding of the meetings regarding this request:

There is a community meeting at the TDC regarding the "subdivision's" plans on Monday (today, the 12th) at 6:30. I think this meeting is Doodle's representatives presenting the plans for the "subdivision."

Doodleville? :cool:

sas96

Beach Crab
Nov 8, 2005
luvthebeach said:
Funny that I've heard the name Doodle Harris twice in one day, and both times the reference to his name makes me want to barf. :puke:

Thanks to the shenanigans of Doodle and his "Big Canoe, Inc." corporation several years ago, we just lost a public beach access in Seagrove. As far as I know, the five foot easement to the west of Sugar Cliffs property was a publically dedicated beach access since at least the early-mid 90's. The County maintained the access, even rebuilt it after Ivan (or whatever the hurricane was around that time that took out many of the walkovers). It was a well-travelled public access. A few years ago the private homeowners in Sugar Cliffs sued (Case Number 01CA000478, Sugar Cliffs Owners Assoc. vs. Walton County) stating that the easement on which the walkover was built was never properly recorded. Thanks to Doodle not following the statutory procedure for dedication of the easement back in the 90's, the courts have turned the land and the walkover over to Sugar Cliffs. Howard Carr was somehow involved in the supposed deal, but I'm not clear as to his involvement. I do know that Howard Carr was a defendant in this case, as was the Cassine Owner's Associations. Cassine had an interest in keeping the walkover public, as it is directly across the street.

BR is so right - local government officials DO let people with boatloads of money do whatever they want. In this case, they've permanently taken away a public beach access and handed it on a silver platter to the rich. Sure hope this doesn't catch on. Money talks.

As far as Doodle's two new proposed developments go, I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's behind about the effects on the "character" of the neighborhood as long as it lines his pockets. :bang: :bang:
I would like to reply to this message and let this person know that I have no intention for this walkover to be private and in fact I went to elementary school with Howard Carr and was working with Howard and Cassine Gardens to make this access permanently public. It is now in appeal and is currently a public access and if I have anything to do with it,it will remain a public access. I want to leave my phone number for anyone to call who has any concerns about Seagrove, Seaside, Seacrest, Paradise by the Sea, etc... and you can feel free to call me to get the correct information for this blog and accurately post messages for everyone to see. My number is 850-830-5111.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
sas96 said:
I would like to reply to this message and let this person know that I have no intention for this walkover to be private and in fact I went to elementary school with Howard Carr and was working with Howard and Cassine Gardens to make this access permanently public. It is now in appeal and is currently a public access and if I have anything to do with it,it will remain a public access. I want to leave my phone number for anyone to call who has any concerns about Seagrove, Seaside, Seacrest, Paradise by the Sea, etc... and you can feel free to call me to get the correct information for this blog and accurately post messages for everyone to see. My number is 850-830-5111.
I am unfamiliar with this particular case of the walkover. Is the County trying to make it private? That just doesn't make sense to me.

SAS, care to comment on the Gulf front property going through zoning change?

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
sas96 said:

I don't understand what part of my message is inaccurate? I certainly hope and pray that you're right...that this walkover will once again be open and available to the public. Sugar Cliffs Owners Assoc. has fought long and hard (I believe they filed suit in 2002?) through their attorneys to claim abandonment, improper recording of the deed, etc. in order to seize the walkover. According to the the court document accessible at http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us (Case # 01CA000478, Sugar Cliffs Owners Assoc. vs. Walton County), unless I'm completely reading it wrong, the defendants (Walton County) and co-defendants (Carr, Cassine, etc.) failed to prove their case and the easement was turned over to SCOA. It was signed as official on May 30 or 31. Are you saying that did not happen?

As I stated in my original message, Howard Carr and Cassine fought to keep the walkover public. Everytime I've been in the area the walkover was busy with guests from Cassine Village, Cassine Gardens and other neighboring homes. You say that it remains a public access, although it has not been repaired and is still closed off to the public. I didn't realize the case had been appealed - I am relieved to hear that, but I can't imagine what the defendants may have now that they didn't have at the original hearing.

To answer SJ's question....the County is not trying to make it private, but Sugar Cliff's Owner's Association (own homes next to the walkover) is. They filed suit against Walton County claiming that the proper paperwork had not been recorded years ago and that the walkover had been abandoned (wrong!) The county did a great job of repairing the walkover after the first hurricane last season, but ever since the last hurricane that did all the damage to the area (I've lost track of the names), it has not been repaired.

I will be anxiously awaiting the final outcome of the appeal!