Eleven Fla Counties forbid teaching of Evolution

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by futurebeachbum, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Please get to work on that ASAP.:wave:

2. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    I was just thinking the same thing! Someone dangle the No Mo Ro story in front of him and lure him up here. :D

3. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

omg. florida isn't any further along in the education system than any other southern state, is it? or perhaps a tad more advanced after this vote. think I'll read what carl has to say in that long column...

4. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

I enjoy Mr. Hiaasen's writing very much. But whether it is The theory or A theory it is only a theory. Gravity too for that matter in as much as we understand it. Gravity is understood differently today scientifically than say in Newton's/Leibniz's era and still has a ways to go (quantum and then..?). Though for us average persons what counts is that we don't float off into space. Theories are the best explanations given the present data set. It would be foolish to think of evolution as a proven fact. All circumstantial evidence-- unless someone has a time machine? I do find it ridiculous that they were fighting over The or a if I am understanding the issue correctly though I understand why it would be fought over.

5. Teresa

elgord - I understood the theory of evolution to be more than theory since it contains a great deal of scientifically proven facts, or at least more than "theoretical" data. not exactly circumstantial since it is science based. but, I do understand your point - let's take what we can get and educate kids.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

That's what a theory is, Toots...

the?o?ry [​IMG] [​IMG] (thē'ə-rē, th?r'ē) Pronunciation Key
    n. pl. the?o?ries

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

7. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

so these people that dont want evolution taught... do thay not believe in dinosaurs at all? do they really think it is all made up and the bones that have been found are fake?

8. Teresa

yes, the definition of theory certainly applies. I guess its the interpretation of "theory" as it applies to evolution that is commonly misunderstood or misconstrued by others: i.e., evolution is only a theory and cannot be proven. when we know that facts are involved here. many many facts.

A fact is something that is supported by unmistakeable evidence. For example, the Grand Canyon cuts through layers of different kinds of rock, such as the Coconino sandstone, Hermit shale, and Redwall limestone. These rock layers often contain fossils that are found only in certain layers. Those are the facts. It is a fact is that fossil skulls have been found that are intermediate in appearance between humans and modern apes. It is a fact that fossils have been found that are clearly intermediate in appearance between dinosaurs and birds.

a theory can be good, bad, indifferent. let's hope the schools know what a scientific theory actually means.

9. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Whatever the phrase or word you want to use to describe evolution, the gist of Hiassen's column is that by refusing to teach it, you look like idiots!

Whatever your personal beliefs or doubts may be, evolution is still an important part of the global science curriculum.

It may not have concrete proof, it may be disproved or radically altered someday, but that is true of many topics in many disciplines. Part of the education process is being introduced to a variety of ideas and developing the skills to think critically and question ideas both new and accepted.

Banning any books, plays, and ideas you don't believe in is NOT the road to a good education!

10. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    This is just my understanding of the issue and I could be wrong:D

The only difference is instead of teaching what they have called, "Scientific Theory" will now be called "Scientific Theory of Evolution." They added the term "Evolution." Which as one school board member pointed out, "Now we have to buy new books." What they have been teaching doesn't change, just what they call it.:dunno:

11. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I caught the new book comment. But since the same teaching has been in the Sunshine State Standards for quite a while, I am not understanding why. I also do not understand how someone can take a stand against the extremist on Blithe Spirit, yet object to Evolution being taught a month later?

12. Alicia Leonard

I think it's just a "hot-button" word, that people latch onto. It arouses emotion.

13. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

As you say :wave: and the Theory of Evolution is the best science has to offer atm.
    I coudn't agree more and this next may be splitting hairs but...I don't see how the Theory of Evolution can be proven using the scientific method. Teaching it as fact would inhibit scientific inquiry -why look for answers when one already knows everything? Scientific Laws such as Boyle's Law are facts. I think this is all what NoHall was saying originally. Simply to treat it as what it is - a very likely scenario given what we know right now- rather than 2+2=4. I took it as fact (wrongly) when learning it in early elementary school though it never really interfered with my religious beliefs at the time. We humans are good at holding contradictive thoughts and feelings. I don't think I have a solipsistic pov, but I know very little. I had a response I felt better about but it got bleeped into the aether.

14. buster

buster Beach Fanatic

About the time I learned the truth about Santa Claus I figured out fossils were more tangible than stories about all the animals on earth aboard a boat. So what do I believe? Maybe I believe in GOD but that religion is silly. Kids are pretty smart and many are smarter than adults who have "seen" the truth.

15. Teresa

hate it when that happens!

16. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Who are you referring to?

17. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Sorry, one of the school board members.

18. Teresa

you caught on fairly quickly. took me a lot longer to figure out the religion thing. it was taught as fact. very much like brainwashing. the bible was actually written by God through holy men. evolution was taught too - but not necessarily fact. okay, I'm a little slow.

19. Alicia Leonard

No, you're not. Anyone who can use "cat butt" to describe an unsavory part of the political process is not slow.:D

In fact, I think "cat butt" should be our word of the day. Like, "This weather is making this one "cat butt" kinda of day.

20. BIGDOG

BIGDOG Banned

We learned the creation theories of lots of different cultures in sociology class. ID would have fit into that curriculum. It does not, however, fit into a science curriculum.