• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Almost every religious leader condemns every other religion to some form of hell or punishment, yet if you actually read their scriptures or texts, they don't, so it's not exactly keeping me up at night. :roll:
Well, I know many Southern Baptists preachers condemn every other religion, but Hindus and Buddhists do not, so it is a far cry from "almost every religious leader."

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Thanks for proving my point, NoHall. It is plain crazy. I got the concept from church, Southern Baptist of course, and they are still preaching it. Mostly, they focus on Mark 16:16, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." They too often forget verse 15, "And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to the whole creation." I believe the idea in the the verses above, is that when the Gospel is presented to someone and they fully understand the concept of the Gospel, and they still choose to reject it, they will be condemned. Those who never heard the Gospels, or those who don't understand the Gospels, aren't condemned, but the Bible doesn't say that they are going to Heaven, either.

Tootsie, many Southern Baptists still preach this, so silly or not, their congregations buy into the idea that all non-believers are going to Hell.

Well, I know many Southern Baptists preachers condemn every other religion, but Hindus and Buddhists do not, so it is a far cry from "almost every religious leader."

And you think I momentarily forgot that? Rabble rouser...:roll:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

True, they are actually tolerant! My bad! They DO get condemned BY other religions so I accidentally tarred them w/ the same brush.

Have yet to be directed to the Biblical passage where Jesus tells someone they are going to hell or condems another religion, but oddly enough ............ :roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mostly, they focus on Mark 16:16, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." They too often forget verse 15, "And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to the whole creation."

Let me fine tune that comment. They often forget to include verse 15, when they are talking about verse 16. However, they seem to know too well about taking verse 15 and running with it. I think most of the preachers know the grouped meaning, but the followers who go out and "preach the Gospel to the whole creation," don't likely have a solid grasp of that which they are preaching.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Have yet to be directed to the Biblical passage where Jesus tells someone they are going to hell or condems another religion, but oddly enough ............ :roll:
It most likely is taken loosely from one of the Ten Commandments, Thou Shalt not place any other Gods before me.

Interesting choice of words, refering to "Gods," since God, by definition, is The Supreme Power. I think the translation of the word, God, in this case, most likely relates to other religions. Just my guess, and I'm far from being an expert on the Bible.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Y'all are talking about religiosity and dogma and the letter of the law. SJ, you and I have talked many-a time on Jesus' feelings toward that. The only people he showed anger toward were the religious leaders. He called them a brood of vipers. He also said that it would be better to have a millstone tied around your neck and be thrown in the river than to cause an one of his children to stumble...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
IMO big jump from "don't believe in or worship any additional deities" to "anyone who doesn't believe in me is going to hell and is inferior".

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
NoHall, can you define "stumble," as intended? Without first stumbling, many cannot learn.

scooterbug, I think you make a good point. Lately, we've been talking a bunch of poliTRICKS. Trying to analyze the Bible, can be very similar. Politicians may point out the agreeable things in a Bill for which they voted. The kicker is that there are often some conflicting elements to a Bill, so each side gets to promote the reasons why they voted for it, or agin it. The Bible, coming to us in translated and edited versions, leaves us searching for intent in each verse. It is as easy to pull one verse out of context, yet still quote the Bible as a source for believe the way you do. Three people will likely have three different interpretations for one verse, and people will pick and choose something with which they agree or disagree, to prove or validate their own beliefs, very much the way politicians do.