Fire in SoWal -- Seagrove Beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, May 8, 2007.

1. beach lover

beach lover Beach Lover

I'm looking out my window right now and see smoke again , something is on fire at Bunglow's. Of course firetrucks are there, but lets get this out. We had fire next to our house yesterday and this just gives me the creeps.

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Putting out fires of this nature is tough to do at one time. You can dump gallons of water on a thick piece of burning timber and it will extinguish the flames. You can continue to pour water on it even after the fire is out.
    The problem is that the fuel source deep inside is not being affected by the water, and when the wind blows it can bring the embers back to a flame. Completely putting out a fire is at least a two day job.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  3. NotnKansas

NotnKansas Beach Lover

I live RIGHT across the street from the bunglow's in a condo and this morning about 6am there was still smoke. Hm. Just in case I packed some clothes to bring to work with me this morning. :shock:

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

That is how my house almost burned down a few years ago. It was a house fire that was not completely extinguished 2 days earlier that flared up and started a forest fire.

5. jgtodd42

jgtodd42 Beach Lover

For those of you who thought you smelled smoke this a.m., you did. The fire department is back at Bungalows doing a controlled burn behind the homes that were destroyed in yesterday's fire. Hopefully they will get rid of all the dry underbrush that is so easily ignited. I saw a few of the fire and rescue guys and told them how much we all appreciate their efforts. Told them to come to SoWal.com to see how many of you wanted to thank them. Let's hope and pray for a better day today and rain soon.

6. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

:clap_1: DITTO!

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Maybe someone needs to make hats and tee-shirts with SWFD

8. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

I think when I am in town this weekend we should take them all lunch! :wub:

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Lee and Carmen at Palmetto Gear are making them for SWFD. I thought it would be a good idea for the department to sell them if they needed to raise extra funds. I think they may look into a cafe press site but governement funded entities can't always do what they want.

I've been thinking of making some SoWal shirts with different organizations on them, with permission and cooperation of course.

10. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

The SWFD has t-shirts - they were selling them at the Seabreeze jazzfest to raise money.

11. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

One of the severely damaged Bungalows re ignited at about 5 AM.
    This picture is at 8:30 AM.

This house is being allowed to burn out while the surrounding area is protected by spraying down.

Winds have picked up and smoke is seen rising in hot spots in the forest.

Please note: residents do not want gawkers driving their cars around their neighborhood. I was on a bike and asked permission.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

In that case, I hope they keep a supply at the WaterColor Fire Station, and I hope that everyone will stop by there and buy one, on their next trip to Publix at WaterColor.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Hi and Dri, can you confirm the address of that house as 118 Somerset Bridge Rd?

14. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

Firefighters entering another Bungalow house with fire hose at 8:45AM.

Note: residents described their pine straw around their houses as an "accelerant" and planned to replace it with stone or fire retardant bark. The pine straw was burned around many of the non damaged buildings.

15. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

Landscaping is a serious problem as a fire hazard, and so many are not considering it as an accelerant.

16. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I've been here long enough to remember 1998, and was always amazed that Watercolor used so much pine straw everywhere when they built it considering how Watercolor is otherwise pretty good about landscaping for the local climate.

And that's just one neighborhood I can think of because we've walked through there a lot of times. How many smaller neighborhoods do similar?

17. MrChevious

MrChevious Beach Crab

Hey Guys - I am a new owner in SoWal - looked at the Bungalows even! - but just was introduced to the site yesterday by a friend and wanted to thank you for this forum and your updates! I also want to extend my concern to all those who own property in this area - our thoughts are with you!

18. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

The reason for the pine straw is that the county requires "natural landscaping" for many developments. Lawns are not considering natural landscaping and bare sand is both unattractive and not considered landscaping. There really is no alternative. Pine straw is considered natural landscaping.

19. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Pinestraw is pretty common around here. Most folks use it instead of mulch. I'd worry more about all of the dead branches, trees, and undergrowth but it's something to think about.

20. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

Sounds like some county ordinances need to be changed! I can remember going to someone's house when I was a kid where they swept the yard with a broom. No grass or weeds at all.