• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Yeah, 393 is really heavily trafficked in comparison. That's why my husband won't even jog down it! No shoulder, flying cars, and lots of them is really scary. There's a LOT of people who live back here and have to use 393 for their access to 98, far more than in Pt. Washington from my observation.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I've rode my bike South on 393 to get to 30-A. When I'd see a car coming, I'd ride just off the road in the grass. When I got to the top of the hill where the sidewalk starts up, I had to spend 10 minutes picking all the stickers out of my tires. there were hundreds of them. Now I can't keep air in my front tire. :pissed:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I've rode my bike South on 393 to get to 30-A. When I'd see a car coming, I'd ride just off the road in the grass. When I got to the top of the hill where the sidewalk starts up, I had to spend 10 minutes picking all the stickers out of my tires. there were hundreds of them. Now I can't keep air in my front tire. :pissed:

Our jogging stroller had those dang things embedded from cutting across the school yard. I just picked from Big Daddy's today, all fixed & no spurs!

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I showed dh the xtracycle today and asked his thoughts... the first thing out of his mouth was "you do realize you would never make it an inch on that thing right? If you did get started, you'd fall right over!". I'm a total weakling lightweight... the kids weight combined would be about 60% of my body weight, at least. No way I could hold the thing up and definitely no way I could pedal it with both of them on the back.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Gee y'all, I guess I'm a sissy. Squirt had to ride his bike home from Fire a couple of weeks ago, and I was a nervous wreck until he called to tell us he was safely north of 98.

OTOH, after our last driving lesson - which involved dealing a failure-to-yield-athon at 283/98 - Squirt said he feels safer riding a bike through the intersection than driving through it ! :blink:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I feel the same way -- riding a bike through 283/98 feels much safer. Less distractions and you are much more aware of other vehicles, as you have no cage around you.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I showed dh the xtracycle today and asked his thoughts... the first thing out of his mouth was "you do realize you would never make it an inch on that thing right? If you did get started, you'd fall right over!". I'm a total weakling lightweight... the kids weight combined would be about 60% of my body weight, at least. No way I could hold the thing up and definitely no way I could pedal it with both of them on the back.

Woman, I know you & :love: you. You are one of the strongest & resourceful people I know. Weakling is not a an adjective that even describes you. You can do ANYTHING that you decide to do. You know that. I don't know your DH that well, but he seems like a good guy... however, it's whether you want to ride it that will determine if you can & will ride it.

My two little ones combined are over 50% more than what I weigh. I'm still gonna do it.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Gee y'all, I guess I'm a sissy. Squirt had to ride his bike home from Fire a couple of weeks ago, and I was a nervous wreck until he called to tell us he was safely north of 98.

OTOH, after our last driving lesson - which involved dealing a failure-to-yield-athon at 283/98 - Squirt said he feels safer riding a bike through the intersection than driving through it ! :blink:

I'm a sissy thinking about my kids even learning to drive a car. :eek: That's one thing I wish I could stop time on.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm a sissy thinking about my kids even learning to drive a car. :eek: That's one thing I wish I could stop time on.

It's a trip for sure...it seems like every time I get braver and allow him to drive in new places, some strange traffic situation will occur. Deer running across the road, vehicles broken down in inappropriate spots, people running lights...:blink:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I really worry about the kids crossing there, especially with all the extra out-of-towners descending this weekend.

Maybe those tall orange flags on their bikes could help make them a little more visible?