Four Bears Spotted on Satinwood Drive

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by joho, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I hear ya. I have been in a situation with a huge snake that made me run and scream like crazy. But, I know snakes don't want to hurt me unless they feel threatened. same for gators and bears.

2. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Polar bears will hurt you for no good reason? But, they are so danged cute in the Co-Cola commercials. Alligators don't want to hurt you? I don't think I will flirt with that one. Just sayin'.

3. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Well, they have a good reason - they are hungry and you are tasty.

Polar bears are one of the few bears that will actually kill you and eat you - most bears will just maul you, but polar bear attacks are usually fatal.

I agree, alligators should go on that list.

4. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Well dang, I'm schooled and disappointed. Polar bears look so fat n happy, rolling around, being playful, I never considered them as predators. Good thing I know that now.....not that I will run into one in Buckhead, however.

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

we have a good amount of gators around here - some very big ones. they want nothing to do with people from what I've learned and observed. they stay in their territory (and I stay in mine). but they will kill or hurt humans, just as a shark will, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think we are on their food list for the most part though. still, when walking near swampy areas or bay/bayou water edge, I can't help but think about the possiblity of a nest and a mama gator.

6. shesgottasurf

shesgottasurf Beach Lover

The Bobcat could be easily mistaken for a Florida Panther. I think that's what different people are seeing, not Panthers. I could be wrong. Just keep hearing it, and doubt that there's THAT many around, if any at all. Just my two cents. I haven't even seen a bear yet! And that's in over 25 years... :doh:

7. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_panther]Florida panther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Also, considered a cougar.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat]Bobcat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - will eat small dogs and domestic cats! :shock:

8. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Their pretty distinct, unless you catch it out of the corner of your eye as it runs back into the woods. That's probably the case with most of these sightings. Bobcats tend to be a little more vocal than panthers. Panthers are also known as cougars so this could be a discussion about the infestation at the Tarpon Club and somehow we all thought nature. :dunno:

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

black bears eat mostly a vegetarian diet. Polar bears eat mostly meat.

10. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Yes Douglas. A guy that worked for my husband was in his deer stand and saw the panther walking through the forest. Honestly, I would be more afraid of being shot by hunters than injured by panthers and bears, but completely understand your concern for your daughter.

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

12. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

I saw that on the news last night! The more noise the kids make will scare the bears away. But the playgroud has a very secure fence!

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Yeah, I could just see the parents flipping out over that advice.

14. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Where I work backs up to The Hundred Acre Wood aka Eglin Reservation. We've had bear-dumpster issues many a time, giant insane wild boars that had to be trapped and removed, I've seen foxes and deer in the parking lot within about 30 feet of large buildings, coworker has ended up fishing hypothermic armadillos out of water features and rescuing possums who got themselves stuck in trash cans, and we got talking to the mail guy today about how he'd seen a bobcat on campus while making his rounds a few days earlier. And I'm trying to repress the story from one of the basketball coaches about how during one of the big construction projects they'd regularly get snakes seeking out territory to relocate to in the locker rooms.

Despite it all the biggest current human-critter interaction concern from above these days seems to be how we're not supposed to feed the squirrels.

15. Douglas the Intrepid

Douglas the Intrepid Beach Fanatic

On the shores of paradise, Seagrove Beach

16. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Apparently someone thinks they're more of a hazard than the dumpster-diving bears. Who knew?

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

This just in!

A picture of the bears...
    [​IMG]

18. skinnergy

skinnergy Beach Lover

It's hard to believe that a panther (which is really a cougar, of course) could get all the way up to the panhandle from the small population of about 70 in the Everglades. Plus, if there's one here, there has to be more and no carcass has ever been found, unlike in S. Florida. A quick google pulled up an interesting story about a large cat that is smaller than a cougar, but still pretty big at about 50 lbs. called a jaguarundi. It's known to inhabit the Southwestern US and there are reports that it may have reached as far as our neck of the woods. I sure hope there are no panthers around here, whether they're well-fed or not. Here's the story that discusses both panthers and jaguarundi in our area. Are people really seeing Florida panthers? : The Corsair

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  19. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

20. totally

totally Beach Comber

.I too, have seen a Florida Panther, a couple of years ago at 7:00 a.m. on Thompson Rd. going through state lands. A panther (cougar) is unmistakeable compared to a jaguarundi or a bobcat. When I reported it to the state authorities, they did not registar it as a sighting. A verified sighting could mean the creation of a 'panther protection zone' in Florida.

It was amazing!
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]