Four Bears Spotted on Satinwood Drive

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by joho, Nov 12, 2010.

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

2. ameliaj

ameliaj Beach Fanatic

Panthers and Racoons and bears, oh my!

3. mi6491

mi6491 Beach Comber

I saw 3 bear cubs today around 4:50 down hwy 83. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but they ran into the woods pretty fast. They were beautiful.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I got a tip from a fellow SOWALer that the bears were on the prowl tonight, so I went out to see if I could get a pic. I saw three of them, I managed to get a snap of what I guess is a cub. I clearly saw a large bear who went into hiding just out of frame to the left of this pic. I tried to move a bit up the way to get some better shots, but the 'mom' let out an awesome, deep growl, so I backed up and left them alone. They are something else!

5. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

WOW...that is such a sweet sighting. I live off of 83 and my dogs have had their snouts straight up in the air for days. Two weeks ago I spotted the most beautiful red fox casually strolling down my sandy path. I was on the phone standing at my kitchen window...he heard me talking and stood there looking right at me.

6. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

Wisw old Indian once say "Stay away from bear cubs, Mother Bear can be a Biatch:!!!!

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Were you using Pug bait?

8. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

3 cubs...pretty good for mom bear. Dumpster diving must have been good this summer.

9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I wish we had a video of you "backing up" down the road.:lol:

10. Will B

Will B Moderator

I bet he left skid marks, and I'm not talking on the ground!

:lolabove::floor:

11. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

So..............if these are the same four bears they have traveled eastbound from Satinwood to Co Hwy 83 since 11/12?

12. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Not to surprising. Apparently they have a 20-100 mile range and that's one of the reasons they don't relocate them since they just come back like homing pigeons.

14. 30A Skunkape

I went back yesterday to the spot where the bear encounter occurred looking for tracks. I found a few. I made a plaster cast of mom's front paw. I also made a cast of what I thought was one of the cub's tracks, but after looking at it I think it is more likely a large dog's (possibly a cub's hind foot though). I'm thinking mom kept the kids in the woods while she dumpster dove, so they didn't cross the sandy spot like mom did.:cool:

15. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Wow, very cool!

16. 30A Skunkape

Naah, I'm not scared of black bears. I know the area well enough to know I had plenty of room to back up and I knew not to get between mom and cubs. I did, however, track the bears into the woods yesterday and found this along their path. Now who is making who poo?:lol:

17. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

DEP's apparently got a checklist of what it takes to be classified as a 'bad bear'. And if they reach that status, which is not a given even if you see them around people a lot, there's apparently a Bad Bear Woods in Apalachicola National Forest where they'll be relocated to for one last chance because it's as far from human settlement as you can get in the panhandle to see if they'll stay put and not interact with the humans so much.

18. 30A Skunkape

I tracked the bears into the woods today. Found lots of poop, some old, some new, and I will spare you the pics. I may have found their burrow, I didn't go close enough to provoke whatever is living in there (and something is). The area I went would be great for bears-there is food, water and sleeping quarters!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  19. 30A Skunkape

The bear strategy is dumpster dive or raid garbage cans and drag it into the woods for consumption. I found the Robert's grocery bag way back in the woods, along what I took to be the bear trail. The pic with the black trash bag isn't as deep in the woods but is interesting because it looks like the bears pushed over the green bamboo at the base. Bamboo shoots? Bugs? Who knows. I found the trash can way back in the swamp. I doubt bears took it back there, more likely floated into Western Lake during one of the hurricanes and came to rest in the woods!

20. 30A Skunkape

OK, I can't resist sharing a poop pic. I am pretty sure this is bear scat, it might be deer, but I don't think so. I hope it is bear scat because it is both relatively fresh and full of acorns and seeds, stuff they should be eating instead of trash!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010