• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I am more fearful of snakes than bears. I recognize that this is not logical, but I've had some unfortunate snakey experiences. My bear sightings have all ended with the bears (i) being smaller than expected and (ii) running the other direction.

I hear ya. I have been in a situation with a huge snake that made me run and scream like crazy. But, I know snakes don't want to hurt me unless they feel threatened. same for gators and bears.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Polar bears will hurt you for no good reason? But, they are so danged cute in the Co-Cola commercials. Alligators don't want to hurt you? I don't think I will flirt with that one. Just sayin'.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Well, they have a good reason - they are hungry and you are tasty.

Polar bears are one of the few bears that will actually kill you and eat you - most bears will just maul you, but polar bear attacks are usually fatal.

I agree, alligators should go on that list.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc

Polar bears are one of the few bears that will actually kill you and eat you - most bears will just maul you, but polar bear attacks are usually fatal.

Well dang, I'm schooled and disappointed. Polar bears look so fat n happy, rolling around, being playful, I never considered them as predators. Good thing I know that now.....not that I will run into one in Buckhead, however.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

we have a good amount of gators around here - some very big ones. they want nothing to do with people from what I've learned and observed. they stay in their territory (and I stay in mine). but they will kill or hurt humans, just as a shark will, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think we are on their food list for the most part though. still, when walking near swampy areas or bay/bayou water edge, I can't help but think about the possiblity of a nest and a mama gator.

shesgottasurf

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2007
The Bobcat could be easily mistaken for a Florida Panther. I think that's what different people are seeing, not Panthers. I could be wrong. Just keep hearing it, and doubt that there's THAT many around, if any at all. Just my two cents. I haven't even seen a bear yet! And that's in over 25 years... :doh:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_panther]Florida panther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Also, considered a cougar.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat]Bobcat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - will eat small dogs and domestic cats! :shock:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The Bobcat could be easily mistaken for a Florida Panther. I think that's what different people are seeing, not Panthers. I could be wrong. Just keep hearing it, and doubt that there's THAT many around, if any at all. Just my two cents. I haven't even seen a bear yet! And that's in over 25 years... :doh:

Their pretty distinct, unless you catch it out of the corner of your eye as it runs back into the woods. That's probably the case with most of these sightings. Bobcats tend to be a little more vocal than panthers. Panthers are also known as cougars so this could be a discussion about the infestation at the Tarpon Club and somehow we all thought nature. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

black bears eat mostly a vegetarian diet. Polar bears eat mostly meat.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Are you serious Franny? That is scary if true...

Yes Douglas. A guy that worked for my husband was in his deer stand and saw the panther walking through the forest. Honestly, I would be more afraid of being shot by hunters than injured by panthers and bears, but completely understand your concern for your daughter.