• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
(WMBB) — Walton county deputies said golf carts are increasingly becoming a major safety issue.

They’re pushing for a tougher county ordinance to prevent potential accidents.

Golf carts are only allowed on roadways where the speed limit is 35 miles an hour, or less.

But deputies said they’re always pulling over golf carts driving illegally on busy roadways, like Highway 98.

Earlier this month, deputies told commissioners about the safety-sensitive issue.

Sheriff Michael Adkinson said with 4.5 million annual visitors, it’s difficult to get a handle on the issue.

“At the end of the day what they are trying to say is a new group of tourists come every week here so it’s difficult to educate somebody and then a week later you have a new group coming in. So they are looking at a lot of new ways to strengthen the ordinance,” Adkinson said.

Right now deputies are limited to educating visitors and locals with signs and stickers.

Some are suggesting deputies be allowed to impound golf carts from violators.

That puts more responsibility on the vehicle’s owner.

“It puts that blame shared with the people maybe that are not passing the information on the way they should. I think it is a creative way of looking at doing it. We are certainly going to work with the board and we would like to see this problem, I don’t know if we will ever resolve it, but certainly mitigate down some,” Adkinson said.

But before the county takes that type of drastic action, Adkinson wants commissioners to ask for the public’s help.

“You don’t just go and immediately change the ordinance and start enforcing it without doing due diligence to make sure the public is aware that they have an input and that they get an opportunity to be heard,” Adkinson said.

Adkinson said deputies have pulled over around 400 golf carts within a few weeks.

They’ve also seen a number of people suffer serious injuries in golf cart accidents.

Walton County commissioners are hoping to schedule a workshop meeting on the issue.

To read the Low Speed Vehicle Laws visit their website.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
I like how they call them what they are - GOLF CARTS!

They belong on a golf course not on our roads and highways. I feel sorry for deputies having to waste time with GOLF CART drivers instead of more important things.

BAN GOLF CARTS FROM OUR ROADS!!!

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
We always seem to be behind the curve when it comes to predicting and addressing potential safety / violation issues. You can observe golf cart drivers on any day and know that this was going to be a problem.

Next predictable safety issue....ebikes on the mixed-use path. Let's see how long it will take for this to be addressed.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's almost like people are asking the government to regulate something; but that can't be in the most Florida county there is, Walton?

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
We always seem to be behind the curve when it comes to predicting and addressing potential safety / violation issues. You can observe golf cart drivers on any day and know that this was going to be a problem.

Next predictable safety issue....ebikes on the mixed-use path. Let's see how long it will take for this to be addressed.
Agree with you except it's hard to believe that Walton COunty BCC approved golf carts in the first place, lowering speed limits to 35 or less on all major roads in SoWal. I remember several people posting the commissioners and/or family were profiting from golf cart sales and rentals. I don't know if true but regardless it was a horrible decision. How could anyone anywhere think golf carts on public roads are a good idea?

It's only going to get worse.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Agree with you except it's hard to believe that Walton COunty BCC approved golf carts in the first place, lowering speed limits to 35 or less on all major roads in SoWal. I remember several people posting the commissioners and/or family were profiting from golf cart sales and rentals. I don't know if true but regardless it was a horrible decision. How could anyone anywhere think golf carts on public roads are a good idea?

It's only going to get worse.

So the BCC didn't approve golf carts. They got classified as LSV's by the state if they have basic road safety devices. The BCC under Cindy Meadows lowered certain speed limits so that golf carts wouldn't be restricted to certain areas. It used to be from East 30A to just past Water sound; Eastern lake road to 283 (Grayton) and then 83 to Flamingo Village. Apparently not being able to take a golf cart from Rosemary to Stinky's was too big of an inconvenience for some.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
So the BCC didn't approve golf carts. They got classified as LSV's by the state if they have basic road safety devices. The BCC under Cindy Meadows lowered certain speed limits so that golf carts wouldn't be restricted to certain areas. It used to be from East 30A to just past Water sound; Eastern lake road to 283 (Grayton) and then 83 to Flamingo Village. Apparently not being able to take a golf cart from Rosemary to Stinky's was too big of an inconvenience for some.
So instead of keeping speed limnits as is or elevating them to 36, they lowered all over? Why!?

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
By lowering the speed limits they have now flooded the area with more "vehicles" thereby making the situation even worse.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Dear well-meaning-brain-dead tourist driver in front of me, DON'T WAVE IN A TURNING GOLF FRONT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! :pissed:

We were moving along at a blistering 35 and now we are doing 12mph for 6 miles with 33 cars behind me!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
On most of the roads that feed into Back Beach Road in Panama City Beach, there is a sign that golf carts are not allowed on US 98 / Panama City Beach Parkway. What would have to happen over here to get those type of signs on the county roads in SoWal? An ordinance?
I tried to take a picture of one last weekend but you pretty much have to pull over and I wasn't driving.
This wouldn't help 30A, but it would apply to the Karens I saw a couple of weeks ago in a LSV heading east on 98 with Publix bags on the back seat.