• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Kurt and SJ, what would we do without you? As usual you have provided peace of mind and sanity to those of us who are not in SoWal. You 2 are priceless! How about a frosty beverage sometime soon?

We'll be down to celebrate my birthday beginning the 8th of next month? :D

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Beach Runner said:
I posed the following post on Katrina III:
"Does anyone know if Seagrove has lost power since yesterday afternoon, and if so, for how long? I'm trying to decide if I need to throw anything in the refrigerator away when I come down this week. Of course, like a moron, when I unplugged the TVs yesterday, I also unplugged the answering machine. I usually know that if it answers, we have power."

Thanks, Travel2Much and pgurney, for the responses. Yes, Landlocked, I really can be such a moron. I think it's from getting my brain fried as a Tulane student (but I adore that school!). LOL.

BTW Kurt and SJ, you are SOOOOOOOOOO nice for taking photos so that we can see what's going on down at SoWal. I mean, it's not like you couldn't be doing something more important, like doing your jobs, or taking care of family responsibilities, or just getting some a** time on the beach and drinking your favorite adult beverages!

AS far as I know - no one has lost power. The winds haven't been too bad and we don't have any weak trees left around here to fall on power lines.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Kurt, Thank you and SJ for the info and your efforts..

landlord said:
Are you serious about some of the beaches actually gaining sand or were being facetious?
Can't wait to see your photos later! :clap_1:

I really think the levels of the beach appear to be higher than before the storm. That may be due, in part, to the imported sand being dumped on the beaches. You can see in one of Kurt's photos, the two septic tanks in Gulf Trace between two houses. They were sitting on top of the beach last week, and now they are almost covered. I think that may be what happened to the piles of concrete in Gulf Trace too. Your kids have some crappy treasures to uncover.

I just returned from another run down the beaches. Sustained winds had picked up on the beach and I would guess they were around 45-50mph with stronger gusts maybe around 60mph. Sandblasting continues so much that my camera and eyes cannot do much good.

As someone mentioned earlier, Hwy 30-A is closed off at Oyster Lake outflow. You will have to go around. It looks like they had a little trouble, but nothing that cannot be repaired. Chili Pepper, and most interior homes look good.:D

I will be posting more photos soon.

It will be much easier to assess any damages tomorrow. So look for more reports then.

Last edited:
Post from Katrina III:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita
:?: The sands not white.

Originally Posted by Smiling JOe
You are correct. They never got around to capping it off with the required 3ft of white 8.1 sand. Go figure. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, because the beach will be a mix now anyway, due to the relaxing of the rules, and the lack of monitoring the work being done.

Quote from Moondance:
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me..."

We are smarter now and despite all the effort and angst, unfortunately, Dennis was a dry run. In terms of the beaches, at least, it would appear we are almost back to square 1. I suspect most of the issues after Dennis will be issues after Katrina. What should be different this time is that we (residents, citizens, landlords, neighbors, beach lovers/protectors) are better prepared and informed, largely as a result of information shared or obtainable on this board.

This time we are in a better position to monitor and report on all public and private beach replenishment and/or clean-up activities. We must expose any/all that do not meet applicable law, regulation, code, ordinance, local order, waivers of same, or good common sense :eek: !. I will be more vigilant, more insistent, and more vocal (privately and publicly) with respect to such beach activities. However, few of us can be in SoWal all the time, and kurt, SJ, and other locals can't do it all.

I encourage my friends on this board to get involved and active, think critically, ask questions, seek answers, and speak up... or at least make us all aware of anything that seems out of line.

Let's get r done right this time, hopefully paving the way for standard protocol for the foreseeable future.
Now I'll get off my
soapbox.gif

landlord

Beach Lover
Smiling JOe, Great news...thank you for the clarification...

I am certainly encouraged by your beach observations.
Do you think Seaside's beaches fared well? I noticed that the sand that had been scraped and pushed up near the dunes seemed to still be there. :bow:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I purposely stayed off the board this afternoon (stop clapping!) since I had been up watching things since 2:30am and started feeling like we knew more than the media!! Probably a fair call since we have SJ and Kurt, the MOST reliable, on the scene photojournalists ever!!! Thanks again...we are so blessed to have you on our side! MD..your call to action is heard loud and clear...but you knew that!! IMO, rather than sit idly by and go crazy with the flagrant rule breaking we have witnessed, I think we as a board of concern can continue to send the powers to be proof positive of what has and is going on down on the beaches there. Remember Blue Mountain Beach!, can be the battle cry! MD, you gave some of us good direction before concerning the GT problems...I will rely on you and those that have the ability to give real first hand knowledge of issues that I can pass on to the county comm. in our district. Thanks for caring about what so many of us hold dear...the beauty of SoWal! Please insert that cute smiley on the box here!!!! Thanks for your time...I feel better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.