• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Smiling JOe said:
Of course I am not in the building industry so I do not know. Is this something new? I thought if they built the house to handle the wind load, that hurricane rated 140mph wind resistant windows were not necessary.

The new building code went into effect in the summer of 2003. The code was a result of research done after Hurricane Andrew.

Wind rated windows are part of the new building code and REQUIRED if the house is three or more stories. If a house is three or more stories, all windows and doors in the house on all levels have to be wind rated to 130 mph. A builder may substitute hurricane shutters for the wind rated windows, but it is less expensive and easier to install the windows. This includes glass and frames and the contractor must show proof of wind resistance (provided by the window companies in the form of testing results) in order to pass building inspections.

According to the new building code, a contractor must also provide hurricane window protection for two and one story houses in the form of shutters or plywood and screws that are stored at the homesite.

The wind rated windows are a very important part of making a house wind resistant, but it is to 130 mph, not 140. It would be impossible for a house to handle the wind load without the proper windows. The purpose of the windows (or shutters/plywood) is not to prevent water damage from broken glass. The purpose is to prevent the windows from breaking and causing a pressure drop in the house which can in turn cause the roof to blow off or curtain walls to fail.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
tominbham said:
Hi, we have house at Seacrest and would like to know who did your shutters.

Thanks.

Call Charlie of Panhandle Hurricane Shutters. His cell is 850-596-7861. Very honest, great construction knowledge, oversees the installation himself, best prices we found. He said it was ok to put his number on here, but I do have to warn you that he currently has more business than he can handle!

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We have the wind rated windows on our house. However, we still board up. Are we crazy? Our thinking is that the windows might not protect against flying debris. (And there will probably be a lot of it, due to construction)

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
tistheseason said:
We have the wind rated windows on our house. However, we still board up. Are we crazy? Our thinking is that the windows might not protect against flying debris. (And there will probably be a lot of it, due to construction)

We have been meeting with builders and architects as we are planning on building a house in Watercolor. We were told that the high impact windows and doors were required by code. They are going to be alot more expensive but we were told we would not have to worry about boarding up.

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
Our house was built a year ago according to the more stringent building code. The windows are hurricane resistant (they won't blow out or break in exceptionally high winds)...but they're not 'impact' resistant. A two by four will still go through them. My window and door guy told me the impact resistant glass is about an inch thick...and extremely expensive, but not required by code.

monique

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Has anyone used these new hurricane screens made of kevlar or a similar material? See www.stormscreens.com and or google in "hurricane screens" for more scoop. During Dennis a lady in a beachfront condo was on the phone with CNN saying she had her hurricane screens up and could sit on her porch during the storm without any wind passing through the screen. She said they were rated to 140 mph. I thought it was interesting. Since I have searched the internet for info, wondered if anyone had tried using them in the area.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
monique said:
Has anyone used these new hurricane screens made of kevlar or a similar material? See www.stormscreens.com and or google in "hurricane screens" for more scoop. During Dennis a lady in a beachfront condo was on the phone with CNN saying she had her hurricane screens up and could sit on her porch during the storm without any wind passing through the screen. She said they were rated to 140 mph. I thought it was interesting. Since I have searched the internet for info, wondered if anyone had tried using them in the area.

Monique, looks like we were thinking alike this morning :D