• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Mrs. Anderson's excuses are predictable. It's the superintendent's responsibility to establish standards for staff and the numbers indicate that the best teachers available are not recruited and hired. And she states that she has confidence in her HR dept? Of course the HR director is the wife of the Circuit Clerk, another Republican crony. And the board doesn't seem to know what the hell their duties are except to be lap dogs of Anderson. The superintendent is supposed to be 'secretary to the board' and act as the CEO of the school district. The board is supposed to be THE BOSS, Mrs. Anderson, not kiss your arrogant BUTT! There is a reason that fewer than 1% of school district superintendents in the US are elected. With a hired or appointed superintendent there is a clear line of accountability.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The WZEP story seems to be a good at-the-scene report of the meeting, and I would look for a more in-depth report in the Defuniak Herald Beach Breeze. I am glad there was an explanation of the role of the school board and how they are not involved in day-to-day tasks, including personnel, and they shouldn't be concerned with those matters- personnel is the job of the superintendent and principals. I did get a lot more info about what happened in this situation, and while I am not thrilled with everything that happened, it is over, and it sounds like there will be more oversight and checks in the future. Ultimately, the distraction for the kids and teachers is over, and hopefully they can get back to what is important to them, like learning, teaching, playing sports, and getting ready for homecoming activities!

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
In a business setting, a board of directors picks a CEO. The CEO is not elected by shareholders. The CEO of the company should surround himself/herself with competent people and those are expected to follow suit. There is a clear chain of command and the person at the top is ultimately responsible for screw ups. In Florida there are no requirements to be on a school board or to be superintendent other than to be of age and a resident of the state. Look at board members and superintendents in parts of the state where board members are really qualified and the appoint top notch superintendents. Now we can put on a happy face and go on about business as usual and not worry about what's going on in schools.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I would not assume that nobody is worrying about what is going at at the schools. They just aren't posting on message boards. ;)

I have wondered for years why the superintendent is an elected position here. Politicizing education is never a good thing. Even thought the school board race is non-partisan, you have both parties proudly touting their candidates in advertising, and in the last race, all of the candidates except one worked the Walton County Republican banner as I recall. That race will never be about qualifications.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Want to change? Here's how it would be done.

Section 2. Superintendent of Schools; Terms.

In each school district there shall be a superintendent of schools. He shall be elected as provided by law in each year the number of which is a multiple of four for a term of four years; or, when provided by local law approved by vote of the electors of the school district, the superintendent of schools shall be employed by the school board, as provided by law. Such local law may be repealed by vote of the electors only after it has been in effect for three years.

In any school district where the office of superintendent is appointive on the effective date
of this amendment, it shall continue so until its status is changed in accordance with this section.

Source:

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.p...intendent_Appointment,_Amendment_1_(May_1968)

Start a petition drive and have it placed on the ballot !

Last edited:

13kayaks

Beach Crab
Sep 2, 2013
Some of you need to realize there are valid differences of opinion on a myriad of subjects and just because someone expresses them openly and sincerely it does not mean he/she is incapable of logical thought or is led by the nose by a political party.

That's right...you would never be led by the nose by a political party. Obviously your Masters Degree was not in English.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
The WZEP story seems to be a good at-the-scene report of the meeting, and I would look for a more in-depth report in the Defuniak Herald Beach Breeze. I am glad there was an explanation of the role of the school board and how they are not involved in day-to-day tasks, including personnel, and they shouldn't be concerned with those matters- personnel is the job of the superintendent and principals. I did get a lot more info about what happened in this situation, and while I am not thrilled with everything that happened, it is over, and it sounds like there will be more oversight and checks in the future. Ultimately, the distraction for the kids and teachers is over, and hopefully they can get back to what is important to them, like learning, teaching, playing sports, and getting ready for homecoming activities!
Looks like this has been swept under the rug as usual. Speaking of sweeping things under the rug, We've all forgotten about Mrs. Anderson changing the locks on her opponent's office right after the election it seems. The rug is getting a bit lumpy IMO.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Looks like this has been swept under the rug as usual. Speaking of sweeping things under the rug, We've all forgotten about Mrs. Anderson changing the locks on her opponent's office right after the election it seems. The rug is getting a bit lumpy IMO.

You're right of course, Meggiemom. And there's nothing the parents and other taxpayers can do about it. I actually have an e-mail from the DOE stating in no uncertain terms that local school boards may do as they wish with complete autonomy, including legalized discrimination. And obviously they aren't required to release a lot of information. It appears that most new hires for instructional positions are young, white women. Age discrimination? Racial discrimination? No way to find out. And as long as we have elected officials like "the Don" (Gaetz) who contributed to Anderson's campaign, nothing positive will come to pass in public education in Florida.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
Are all new teachers now being hired as independent contractors? If so, what a clever way to avoid paying benefits.