• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Geez John R. I was scared just reading that!!! I am glad you made it home safely!!!

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
John R said:
went out for a paddle to the north side and back. water was smooth as silk, though sky had been gray all day. headed out, sun shining, shirt off, no wind. took 40 min to get to other side. clouds building, so i get over, take a pee, and head back. on way back south clouds start heading westwest to east/southeast and activity starts to build on other side of bridge, then i can see north end of bridge is in the activity. i'm making pretty good headway, and by the time things start to get hectic, i'm just north of the channel. it comes in fast and furious, and i'm paddling like crazy with the right, just to stay headed semi south. the seas are cresting at 1-5 to 2 feet and i'm staying in the troughs, until, i get rolled, south of channel by now.

stuff is in new ziplock, and xm is in old ziplock with opening on top for antenna/earbuds. at this point i'm more concerned to just hang on. boat is full, no pfd, big seas, and lightning. kinda freakin' try a couple of times for re-entry, but seas too high and boat too full. look at phone to see about calling someone(who, ghostbusters?) and phone and camera look like goldfish in a bowl, bummer. i just hang tight, all the while kicking towards shore. storm eventlly passes, things calm down, and i finally feel terra softa underfoot. so i 'walk' the rest of the way in.

xm still submerged in cockpit, phone and camera on drainboard(why?)
lessons? buy pump, buy whistle, buy real 'electronics' dry bag, buy water enclosure for camera(there would have been some really cool action pics if camera stayed dry), don't put tounge on hot grill.

kind of took the rest of the day off and watched tv aferwards

HOLY COW !!!! :eek: glad you are safe :love:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
thanks all, for the concern. i own a sweet pfd, just didn't think i'd need it. now it is on list of default gear to keep onboard during trips. just got new phone from alltel(that was an adventure). so, if we've spoken, please pm me your numbers. thanks.

jr

csny is 14th row.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P7310007.JPG

Thought I would fill in for John R. This photo is taken from the Clyde Wells Bridge, looking towards John R's house.