Making the Case for Hiring a Superintendent

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jdarg, Jul 28, 2014.

1. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

The present superintendent had the advantage of having Jay Odom and M.C. Davis finance her campaign. And in the 2008 race she must have had a little left over since she paid herself $3000 for "travel expenses" out of the thousands contributed by the big dogs. Campaigning is high cost for sure and the folks who ought to be in office don't bother running because they don't have friends with deep pockets.

2. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Divided.gif

For those in need of a "Special Version"

3. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

I am amazed at how confidently you post completely inaccurate information on a daily basis, Misty. Why don't you go visit the Academy or call and talk to the district and get some Facts before posting. Of course the Academy is the lowest ranked school- it is the alternative school for students who are not successful in this district. And while some of the students are there because they have gotten into trouble, the majority attend because they have not been successful academically, have fallen behind, and go there for credit retrieval. They are allowed to work at their own pace because they could not keep up in the regular classrrom. The district does not HAVE to provide this opportunity for students. They could let all these students go back to their former school and sit beside your child ( did I mention some are court ordered to attend school? Imagine how pleasant they would be to have in your classroom) and let them fail, and drop out at 16, and go on welfare. As a parent of a walton county student, an educator, and a taxpayer, I am thankful we have the Academy.

4. Misty

Misty Banned

Actually, I have been there.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Ha! That is awesome.

6. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Surprised how the No's new sign is almost identical. LOL

7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

NOT identical. The NO font screams Chinese restaurant, not education. It is better than their other campaign stuff- if that stuff was done by a professional, then that person needs to go. If you can't even copy something well.....

Unless the opposition ELECTED their campaign/PR manager?!?! Hmmmmm...stuck for the term. Bummer.

Ha ha a little referendum humor.

8. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

I may move to another county or another state. Our school district is a mess and nobody takes any responsibility. When companies have financial problems and other problems the CEOs usually are replaced. But we have to wait two more years to replace the school's CEO.

9. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Let me say this as simply and succinctly as I can. If a voter cannot discern the difference in how a school district functions with an ELECTED superintendent vs. a HIRED superintendent, responsible to the school board and public, then maybe they shouldn't be voting. I apologize for saying anyone should not vote. It was a thoughtless sentence on my part. I will say that only those here legally and citizens of the United States and can prove it, should be allowed to vote.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. Independent Thinker

Independent Thinker Beach Lover

Changing from an elected Superintendent to a hired Superintendent is a no brainer. Look around at some of the people who are openly opposing the change, enough said.

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Some of those opposing the change aren't even eligible to vote due to past felonies or their unwillingness to become US citizens.

12. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Methinks the WINGS sign has them a little annoyed!!!:floor:

13. JoeWormwood

JoeWormwood Beach Lover

Thank you for your advice. I was most certainly going to vote YES, but now I realize I should not be voting at all and I will not. Thank you again for your words of wisdom!

14. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

May I suggest you re-read my post. I said I was wrong about not voting. But then, I think you have your troll boots on which most will readily recognize.

15. JoeWormwood

JoeWormwood Beach Lover

You said it brotha, and then you backpeddle. In the words of my omniscient yet toothless father "a mans first answer is his true thoughts". All lurkers and guests can see through your ruse.

16. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Chinese looking NO Sign inspiration

I think I'll get me some Cecilia Stir Fry and an order of General Jerry's Chicken.

I love Chinese. I'm going to open The "Yes, No, Yes No. 1" in SRB (out of my house, don't tell...). I don't need to register with the County, so don't ask what type of meat I'll serve. Going to do carry out. Neighbors will love it!!!

17. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I realize everyone one has an opinion here and I am fine with that, but some things have been said on this board that concerns me. One individual has said people should not be able to vote and then in a next sentence apologizes for it. If you are not sure how to edit a post I would suggest you learn cause that post was kind of stupid. Another individual said there was folks who are opposing this referendum that can't vote because they are convicted felons or aren't citizens. Might I suggest you back it up because. I went out today and put a few signs out and noticed only a few signs that had been pulled, Commissioner Pridgen, Board Member Roberts and Candidate Sandy Jack Brown. I would have put them up but there are some issues associated with that but also someone had taken the frames. Then there is the yellow and red Referendum signs, I did not find any look a like signs so I will assume that was a joke. Now the real reason I wanted to post on this subject, I am a little disappointed that it seems that the pro referendum folks have gone negative and I have not heard anything from the vote no crowd. I even saw Andy post "If a voter cannot discern the difference in how a school district functions with an ELECTED superintendent vs. a HIRED superintendent, responsible to the school board and public, then maybe they shouldn't be voting." In fairness only with the arguements presented here and the premise that a vast majority of Districts appoint, how does that help. Personally I support the change but that was not always the case. I would suggest you get some of your advocates to quit calling the voters stupid, criminals and resident aliens because it appears your group is concerned and have gone negative.

18. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I hope to see you at the forum this evening Mr. Wells. Lots of information and no mud slinging. At least from the 'yes' side:wave:

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Do you mean this one as posted on the County Web Site. Question who showed up last night?
    [h=3]PUBLIC NOTICE: North Walton Republican Club Candidate Forum[/h]Please be advised that the North Walton Republican Club will hold a Candidate Forum on Wednesday, August 5, 2014 at 5:00 PM at the DeFuniak Springs Community Center located at 361 North 10th Street in DeFuniak Springs, FL.
    Two or more Walton County Commissioners may attend.

20. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Bob Wells, I wrote something I realized was in error and then immediately corrected it in the next sentence. I am sorry that does not meet your editing technique but I further clarified the statement by saying all those legally allowed to vote should do so. I am sorry my methodology does not come up to your standards but such is life. Vote YES on August 26th!