• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The RINO BS is laughable, given the state of the Republican party in general. Frankly, I think parents would want the best superintendent available (from another state maybe) that isn't a politician but a highly qualified educator and administrator. I, personally think it's great that the school board is NPA. And isn't it interesting also that the best, most qualified member of board is a Democrat. We certainly can do a lot better than the likes of Carlene Anderson and her questionable political and financial ties.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
He is wise. ;)

Are you serious? I see nothing but wise and caring people who want the best for their community, including yourself. We don't always agree how to do it but I appreciate the discussion. I see major changes happening and a lot of it comes about after being discussed here and we should be proud of that.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I think a fairer comparison for Walton Academy is with the performance of other schools for at-risk kids. These schools should have accomplishments to stand-on, but they should not be expected to fix all of society's ills.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Are you serious? I see nothing but wise and caring people who want the best for their community, including yourself. We don't always agree how to do it but I appreciate the discussion. I see major changes happening and a lot of it comes about after being discussed here and we should be proud of that.

Relax, it was a joke. But I did hear that the Drunken Brawlers site is down so I imagine we will be seeing some SoWal political forum alumni reappear. ;)

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't think all the ills that Walton Academy have can be laid at the Superintendents feet. There is a board involved here as well.

The district should have taken back the operations of the Academy 2 years ago when it was first discussed but continue to pour good money after bad into because it warehouses the kids the district doesn't want to deal with.

And you can stop anytime Bob were your dumb assed wise cracks. Surely you are more adult than you act!

He would probably stop his "dumb assed wise cracks" if you would use a little more common sense and a lot less bias.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
A few words about standardized testing and the FCAT. There is nothing wrong with standardized test but there is definitely a lot wrong with the FCAT if what I have been told is true. The FCAT is available for review by teachers and therefore it is, even without any mallicous intent, subject to being taught to the students in order to maintain school ranking. Lets take an example of how standardize testing should occur. The U.S. Air Force used such tests when they had an aviation cadet program. No one saw the tests before they were administered. Therefore, they tested the actual knowledge of those taking them and what their eduation and abilities wer overall. They accomplish whas standardize tests are suppose to do, determine the depth of knowledge of those taking them.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
He would probably stop his "dumb assed wise cracks" if you would use a little more common sense and a lot less bias.

Andy, everyone knows you have your head so far up the WCTA's backside you can smell breakfast!! No one was talking to you but as is your typical fashion, if someone doesn't agree with certain agendas, you get your shorts all twisted and attempt to run rough shod over them.

It seems to work for you here but you did not get your way on Brawlers and took your toys and went home. Not everyone agrees with this agenda on elected vs hired and those who disagree have as much right to comment as you or anyone else here without the childish, immature images and tongue in cheek sarcasm.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
A few words about standardized testing and the FCAT. There is nothing wrong with standardized test but there is definitely a lot wrong with the FCAT if what I have been told is true. The FCAT is available for review by teachers.

FCAT practice tests and other materials that are meant to help students and teachers get accustomed to the computer-based testing environment are available at an online portal.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
TIME AND ATTENTION

Serving as the superintendent is a full-time job. In today’s high-cost political campaigns, an elected superintendent seeking re-election would be forced to spend a considerable amount of time raising funds and campaigning in the months and days leading up to an election. Do we really want the leader of our school system dividing their attention between operating the schools and winning an election, or would we rather they spend their time working with system administrators to improve curriculum, develop innovative instructional programs, and build public support for all public schools?

Walton County deserves public schools that provide the best possible education for their children, and they want leaders who devote their undivided attention to achieving that goal.Taxpayers want the employees in their schools to be focused on the task of educating our children. Elected superintendents will inevitably put teachers, administrators, and support staff in the awkward position of having to choose sides in an election that will determine their boss. Not only is this unfair to the often underpaid and overworked staff, it would serve as a distraction and create undue worry for those who already face the pressures associated with meeting the stringent requirements of state and federal student performance standards. Putting school employees in the middle of superintendent elections is a distraction our children can’t afford.

ACCOUNTABILITY

Board-appointed superintendents provide greater accountability, as they are accountable to the elected School Board. If the superintendent is not meeting the standards and achieving the goals established by the local School Board and the state, the Board has the authority to take immediate action and seek replacement for the betterment of the school system.With an elected superintendent, the Board cannot replace a superintendent. The elected superintendent is entitled to a four–year term, even if his or her performance is unsatisfactory and not up to established standards.It is imperative that the superintendent of schools is constantly focused on cutting edge improvements and making sure the school system is compliant with regulations. The superintendent, as the leader of the school system, must be held accountable for results.

COOPERATION

In order for a school system to succeed, it is imperative that the board and the superintendent collaborate toward the same vision and goals. The appointment of the superintendent ensures this cooperation.There is a serious question of allegiance in cases where the superintendent is elected. Even though the Board is responsible for setting the policies and the direction of the school system, the elected superintendent may have his or her own agenda aimed merely at pleasing the particular constituent base who supported his election.So, while the appointed superintendent is accountable to the Board to implement policy, the elected superintendent can create a diffusion of responsibility and direction, since control is divided. Contrary to common thinking, the public gains more control over education when the elected School Board employs the superintendent, as the buck stops with them.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy, everyone knows you have your head so far up the WCTA's backside you can smell breakfast!! No one was talking to you but as is your typical fashion, if someone doesn't agree with certain agendas, you get your shorts all twisted and attempt to run rough shod over them.

It seems to work for you here but you did not get your way on Brawlers and took your toys and went home. Not everyone agrees with this agenda on elected vs hired and those who disagree have as much right to comment as you or anyone else here without the childish, immature images and tongue in cheek sarcasm.

I feel honored that what I said made an impression on you as shown by the above "bias" post.