Making the Case for Hiring a Superintendent

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jdarg, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I certainly don't agree with whatever that rant was, but I do think our school system needs a great deal of improvement and that college prep is not the standard to use. We should be realistic about kid's educational and vocational futures and make sure every student in our school system gets a great education that prepares them for a variety of life paths.

A four year college is not the norm for many kids. Only 85% of Walton residents over 25 have a high school diploma or higher and only 24% have a bachelor degree or higher.

Taking politicians out of schools seems like one of many common sense changes that need to be made to improve our local education system.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

I agree that not everyone NEEDS to go to college to be financially successful. However, I think everyone should be educated to the point that it is their CHOICE to go to college or to choose another path to success. If only 18 percent of Walton County students are "prepared for college", this robbing them of choices, we should hang our heads in collective shame.

After reading Seaducer's post numerous times, I still could not find any sort of solution offered. Therefore, I humbly request that you share even some small steps toward solutions.

3. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

image-758604615.jpg

Sorry Darrell you just lost 2 votes

4. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Make that 3 more.

5. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

You lost two more votes Darrell. Mine and my wife's.

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Agreed. Asking for the bar to be set for academics at the "college ready" level only prepares EVERY student for their future. No matter what the plan for after high school- college, learning a trade, job, anything- reading, math, and critical thinking skills are the key to success for everyone. Skunkape makes a great argument to this point, and the district teachers and schools are more than equipped to handle this job. It all hangs on taking this district to the next level with accountable leadership and standards that are set for job performance.

If teachers have to meet standards and goals, why shouldn't their boss?

Regarding Darrell Barnhill's unfortunate choice to "proudly opposing the referendum"....he should be ashamed, not proud. His public statement says it all, and whether or not this referendum passes, if he is what is meant by "Walton County Values", then our kids our doomed.

7. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Notice that Barnhill didn't bother to explain why

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Zebraspots, I agree that college is not the right choice for all students graduating high school. With that said, I believe that at a minimum, a school district should be able to raise the bar high enough to ensure that ANY student that matriculates through their system has the option to be go to college should they choose to do so, and to be READY to go.

While I hate to compare peanuts to oranges, I will point out that our neighbor to the north, Covington County, Alabama has not one but TWO high schools recognized by US News as being among the best in their state and above average when compared to the nation as a whole. We have none. Why do WE have to settle?!

9. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Could someone please tell me what vocational subjects are taught in Walton County high schools? While I cetainly agree the overall academic regimen should be directed toward preparation for college, some students want to learn vocational skills as well. When I attended high school back in the '40s, we had carpentry, auto repair and welding available. What have we here?

10. Misty

Misty Banned

So the stooge for Cecilia Jones gets your vote eh?

So much for taking "politics" out of education!

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Got any other bright ideas or solutions?

We're all ears.

12. Misty

Misty Banned

jdarg,

The fact is this is politically motivated and you and the WCTA are leading the charge.

If the majority of candidates (particularly the ones "born and raised here") were as honest as Barnhill has been, ya'll wouldn't have anyone to vote for. Just sayin...

13. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Not happy about the "stooge" either, but the Referendum is more important in my book. Our family will be voting yes.

As for Barnhill, lost more votes here too...

14. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Your response was directed at Jdarg but you listed the WCTA as well.

The WCTA asked that this question be posed to the voters of Walton County. It is an option that is in the State Constitution and the only way people have to express their view is in a referendum requested by the public.

No candidate to support for "political reasons" only a choice that the voters will make.

We worked to give you and all other registered voters the right to choose.

I believe it to be the best method for bringing the best possible person to the position. Your not limited to only Walton County residents but they would not be excluded from being hired if they rose to the top of all who applied.

Please go to the polls to vote as I will. You have obviously determined you don't want to see the change made to a system supported in 99 out of 100 school systems in the United States.

15. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I believe students in Walton county have the option to go to the vocational schools in Bay or Okaloosa. I agree that not everyone is going to go to college and that's fine, we still need mechanics, carpenters, hair stylists, etc. These are not demeaning or low class jobs, they are the ones that provide services to even the highest degree seeking individual.

16. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

I'd give ten lawyers for one good mechanic who could work on our Toyota.

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

18. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Just so all understand, Jdarg, I am not, under any circumstances, saying math and other skills should be replaced with those of a vocational nature. The vocational skills I mentioned at my high school were supplied as additions to the regular curriculm as was JROTC.

19. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

All walton county students have the option of attending classes at the walton career development center in defuniak. (Formerly walton vo-tech). Students can study nursing, hair and nails, mechanics, building construction, horticulture, technology, etc. many students leave high school with a diploma AND certifications in one of these areas. It is a fascinating school to visit and an excellent option for many students. One of our school board members, Sharon Roberts is a past student.

20. weeniedawg

weeniedawg Banned

It's funny how opinions can change in a few years. Four years ago I was critical of our superintendent and how the school district was being run and I was quite literally run off this very discussion board. Now some are starting to agree with me. The fact remains that hired superintendents are almost always better qualified than elected ones. Where I've lived superintendents were hired from other states and were not connected to political machines.