• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From what I understand, local gov't contract with the cable companies, so maybe we should start asking some questions to our own, and find out why they continue to allow a monopoly to run the show.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
From what I understand, local gov't contract with the cable companies, so maybe we should start asking some questions to our own, and find out why they continue to allow a monopoly to run the show.

I honestly think it is a lack of other companies wanting to come in. I believe that Knology is making in roads, my understanding is that they are currently as far as Alyss Beach.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
and Cox Communications provides service to the north side of the Bay and working on the East end of 30A. However, if you are in Freeport, good luck with using competition to keep them honest, because you won't find MediaCON up there -- just Cox.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
and Cox Communications provides service to the north side of the Bay and working on the East end of 30A. However, if you are in Freeport, good luck with using competition to keep them honest, because you won't find MediaCON up there -- just Cox.

I have some friends that live up there and they've never had a problem or complaint about Cox.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007

Govt does not contract with the cable company. What they do is give them a franchise. I have no idea how long this present franchise lasts, or what would happen if the BCC refused to renew it. Interesting questions. :dunno:

I believe I am going to have Dish out here to see if they can get a line of sight to the satellite. There were two rate increases from Media Crap last year, and now another one this year. They are far outpacing the rate of inflation, and as far as I can tell, the service has only gone downhill. Their excuse always seems to be that they have added channels, but they never add anything I am interested in. I could care less about the jewelry shopping channel, etc. :bang:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
And now they are basically forcing folks to subscribe to cable and I have heard rumors that Mediacrap is soon to start charging us for bandwidth excess so that means our days hanging out on SOWAL posting pics ,videos etc. will either become limited or more costly. Charges for bandwidth remind me of the old AOL "pay-by-the-hour" days. Maybe Mediacrap will start putting those "1000 hours FREE" CDs in all those mailouts.:cuss:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Got mine. It's now $60.77/mo. for cable TV. Last year it was $57.46/mo.

So far I've experienced far more trouble with my phone (Embarq) than with my cable, though.

My bill is higher by about that much also... the increase seems to be some new tax/surcharge.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Govt does not contract with the cable company. What they do is give them a franchise. I have no idea how long this present franchise lasts, or what would happen if the BCC refused to renew it. Interesting questions. :dunno:
I don't get it. What is the difference between awarding a franchise and a contract. They sound the same to me, if it is up to the BCC to award and renew.