• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I work at a sports paper here in Atlanta. (scoreatl.com) This Vick thing has been the talk of the office for a long while. I personally have defended Vick through all his personal mishaps- until this one. I just don't think the Federal Gov't would be charging you unless they are damn sure going to get a conviction. He has killed the fans of Atlanta. I went to the Dome a few times last year and 85% of those fans were wearing Vick jerseys. Such a shame. I won't say he's actually done all of the torturous things that were done to the dogs until he's found guilty- but I def. think he had to have know what was going on and that alone is disgusting. How could you let that happen on your property? Or associate with anyone who did? You can't say he was doing it for the money because he was making millions - so what- he just thought it was fun?:eek: It makes me shutter....

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
When I first heard about this, I felt sick to my stomach. After reading such posts here as SJ's (whom I believe is on to something here), I got to thinking. Are we, as a people, moving in that direction, generally? Has anyone heard of/watched extreme fighting? What about today's "action" movies? The general destruction of people and things. Has our civilization really come to think of this as the norm? I think the younger generation (generations in my case :D ) have become desensitized, to a larger or lesser degree, since I was a kid. My son has given us action/dramatic movies he thinks are great...the "die hard" type of thing. Honestly, we can't watch them. Too violent and graphic! Even with the latest Superman movie, my husband and I watched it in three increments. It was, I think, one of the best animated movies of its kind, but overwhelming too, at times. Also, my husband, who used to watch boxing when he was younger (which for my taste, was/is very violent) can't stomach watching extreme fighting. Too "no holds barred" type of fighting...someone surely will be killed (if no one has died already) participating in this "sport". If we've come this far in our 400 or 500 hundred years of "civilization", what the future holds as far as entertainment goes, is scarry to me. And to use animals in this horrendous way...unfathomable! There have, unfortunately, always been people who abuse animals...and people who abuse people, but this, to me, seems to be more and more the case. In certain genres (violent, graphic movies, extreme fighting, football (where people have been killed), hockey (where people have been killed), etc., etc.), it is accepted, by and large, as "sport" or at least pleasurable. I just don't get it! :dunno:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
After his Buddies rolled over to the feds it seems Mike has no choice but to cop a plea. After stating to the Commissioner that he had nothing to do with it any plea will prove he lied to Mr. Goodall. Seems his Co-defendants are set to get 15 to 18 months. I think this hardball Judge will have to give Vick more time since he hasn't cooperated. So say 24 months with a Plea. Oh and Virginia is coming after you also Mike. 100 mil down the drain. Payback your prorated signing bonus and see ya in 3 years. BYE BYE and good riddance. Neutering him is what I'd like to see happen.

Seabreeze

Beach Comber
Apr 18, 2007
ATL & SRB
You can't believe how racially polarizing this whole Mike Vick thing is in Atlanta. You listen to the sports talk shows - day after day after maddening day -- and its black Vick pacifists/apologists vs. white "racists". The rationale and justification put forth by the Vick apologists is jaw-dropping scary. It's frightening to think these people drive cars and breed.

Michael Vick is the poster boy for this out-of-control hip-hop culture that glorifies wealthy losers. There was nobody more excited for the Falcons when Mike Vick came aboard than me, but I now hope he gets a solid two years in the hoosegow. He deserves it. Maybe it's bad lawyering but I personally believe his attitude of entitlement is arrogant and cocky. What a waste of talent and opportunity. Expect to see him overthrowing wide-outs for the Toronto Argonauts in about three years.

What say you ... OJ Simpson, Ray Lewis, and Barry Bonds?

Y'know, strange as it sounds, I have a bit of admiration for the NBA ref who pled guilty to gambling/racketeering charges earlier this week. At least, he has the cojones to admit guilt and accept his fate -- which, by the way, is a helluvalot harsher than Mike Vick's fate. Twenty-five years behind bars vs. five years for Vick.

This is exactly why I departed the world of sportswriting many years ago. Arrogant, overpaid, over glorified morons. Where are the Dale Murphys and Gayle Sayers of the world?

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
great post J-Funn. Bettis will love it. Here's hoping the Falcons do the right thing and not cut Vick. That way he'll have to pay back 22.5 mil of his signing bonus. Maybe the Bengals or Raiders will need a QB in 2010 when his prision term and suspension may be over. How fast is his forty time in a communal shower?
I still think he's getting off easy. No Racketeering for being the Book. No Animal Cruelty charges. No conspiracy charges. Money and good Lawyers should never lessen someone's time when GUILTY of any crime. Right OJ.