• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Scooterbug is right, they didn't even have to shoulder the burden of paying for infrastructure. That was paid for by floating a bond, which future property owners will be paying. Still, at the $400K price range, those could be some really cool homes once the place is built out.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
This reminds me of Prominence near Watersound. You can throw a tennis ball and hit Watersound property there also. No beachfront access except through Deer Lake State Park, also about a mile away, but at least there is a little parking there and facilities. You can see how well this development has done. If people plan to drive to the 395 access and park in the parking lot there they are going to have a serious problem with George, especially after Viridian is built. If you can find anyone to pay north of $400,000 under these conditions I suppose it is true that there is one born every minute.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
tsutcli, I know that most people tend to think that people come to South Walton for our beautiful beaches in the summer time. The beach is a big draw, but go look at phase 4 WaterColor, or phase 2 for that matter. Their beach access is located far away, yet those properties still sell, though for less than the other phases. There is so much more to do than go to the beach. In fact, throughout the day in the summer, I see as many people in the parks and pools as I do at the beach. Some developments like WaterColor, offer enough to keep people in their section of the development. I see nothing stopping NatureWalk from doing the same thing. I always thought it was a bad idea for them to try and open that beach club which was even farther from the development. It cost a lot of money and for nothing, since they later learned that they couldn't use it as they had hoped.

What happens when NatureWalk is built out and everyone wants to go to the beach? There is the problem. They will likely go to the end of 395 to the now quiet public access. They will filter over into Seaside, and I see Seaside not liking that. As I see it, the county needs to address the lack of parking at public access as well as transportation systems of getting people to and from the beach. There is already a parking problem at most of the current regional accesses, and it will get worse as SoWal gets built out.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
tsutcli, I know that most people tend to think that people come to South Walton for our beautiful beaches in the summer time. The beach is a big draw, but go look at phase 4 WaterColor, or phase 2 for that matter. Their beach access is located far away, yet those properties still sell, though for less than the other phases. There is so much more to do than go to the beach. In fact, throughout the day in the summer, I see as many people in the parks and pools as I do at the beach. Some developments like WaterColor, offer enough to keep people in their section of the development. I see nothing stopping NatureWalk from doing the same thing. I always thought it was a bad idea for them to try and open that beach club which was even farther from the development. It cost a lot of money and for nothing, since they later learned that they couldn't use it as they had hoped.

What happens when NatureWalk is built out and everyone wants to go to the beach? There is the problem. They will likely go to the end of 395 to the now quiet public access. They will filter over into Seaside, and I see Seaside not liking that. As I see it, the county needs to address the lack of parking at public access as well as transportation systems of getting people to and from the beach. There is already a parking problem at most of the current regional accesses, and it will get worse as SoWal gets built out.

I'm not sure we need to worry about NatureWalk getting built out for three or four decades. If they would produce some really good plans for a first class swimming pool, and other great amenities (and perhaps some shopping), they might have a chance, but the only word that comes to mind, right now, when I drive thru there , is blight. The bridges look rough, and the houses even rougher.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If people plan to drive to the 395 access and park in the parking lot there they are going to have a serious problem with George, especially after Viridian is built. If you can find anyone to pay north of $400,000 under these conditions I suppose it is true that there is one born every minute.

If they're building for year round/snowbird buyers, I can see them biting. I mean $350K in my neighborhood gets you about 2300-2500 sf and a 25 year old house that's still got remnants of original decor. Or about 2,000sf for the rare new construction at that point. And we're 5+ miles north of the Destin beaches with somewhat limited dining/shopping in the immediate area, not just down the way from Seaside.

It's a price point that can work for aspirational middle class buyers if they've got the employment issue straightened out or if they don't have to work. And I suspect that those buyers are fine with the distance from the beach if they're getting to live the rest of the SoWal lifestyle.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm not sure we need to worry about NatureWalk getting built out for three or four decades. If they would produce some really good plans for a first class swimming pool, and other great amenities (and perhaps some shopping), they might have a chance, but the only word that comes to mind, right now, when I drive thru there , is blight. The bridges look rough, and the houses even rougher.

Ah, but the time to talk about buildout is in the planning stages if you want to be a great community. Murray has great points about parking, infrastructure, and transportation.

I'm guessing if they are priced right building will be swift in there.
We'll see a shift at some point from "I want to be south of 30A" to "I need to be south of 98".
We're going to need triple decker beach access parking just for electric carts.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I could see many retirees and second homeowners buying there to enjoy the nearby 30A amenities. Not everyone thinks daily beach camping is the best thing about Sowal. Biking, walking, community events, no interstates, lack of snow to shovel etc. are also big draws.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Permanent? Snow-birders? Weekly/Monthly Vacation'ers?

Does anyone have any thought about who might be the target cross-section for Naturewalk buyers?

I've grown up in tourist areas, and Naturewalk would perhaps interest me--if it was NOT subject to short-term weekly/monthly vacation renters. (I've lived in those spots before, as a permanent resident--and not my cup of tea).

Thoughts, on Naturewalk, in this regard?

Thanks.....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That is something that would have to be spelled out in the covenants and restrictions. I don't have any idea what they will be/what they are, but I doubt they would ban short term rentals at that location.

I agree with you - would want to buy where no short term rentals are allowed, as behavior level seems to be declining.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
That is something that would have to be spelled out in the covenants and restrictions. I don't have any idea what they will be/what they are, but I doubt they would ban short term rentals at that location.

I agree with you - would want to buy where no short term rentals are allowed, as behavior level seems to be declining.

I would imagine they will allow short term rentals in Nature Walk. But... I really don't see it being a hot spot for short term rentals.