• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Full moon in the Voodoo Capitol of the USA! Geaux Tigers!

Jerry Lewis

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
I would be embarrassed to claim 14 if I were a Bama fan.

1925: Myth
Alabama claims they "share" this one with Dartmouth. Who gave the Tide the title? Houlgate and Helms. Houlgate started his system in 1927. Wait a second—this means 'Bama won their 1925 national championship using a formula that didn't even exist until 1927? The other title giver, Helms Athletic Foundation, wasn't founded until 1941. Hmm, another mind-blowing retroactive scam.

1926: Myth
Alabama claims they "share" this one with three other teams with equal or better records. Once again, it is the Helms Athletic Foundation (founded in 1941) that "gives" Alabama this title. But wait, this organization wasn't formed until over 15 years later, right?

1930: Myth
The Parke Davis poll says that 'Bama tied Notre Dame for the national championship this year, but this was the only poll to award it to 'Bama. Meanwhile, Notre Dame was named national champion in six different polls. I thought there could only truthfully be one champion, but I guess I was wrong. Interesting fact: Parke Davis is anotherretroactive system. He (an individual, not an organization) didn't create his system until 1933—three years after the fact.

1934: Myth
Alabama says they share this title with two other teams. The title givers this time are Dunkel, Williamson, and Football Thesaurus. Dunkel was a fan—check that, fan—who came up with his own polling system. Williamson was a geologist who also came up with his own system. Football Thesaurus didn't even appear until 1946. Once again, 12 years later. Another title that should never have been claimed.

1941: Myth
One day, when I have children, I'll read about this one to them before bed each night. Fact is, it might as well be written in a book full of colorful pictures and fairy tales. The AP ranked Alabama 20th in the nation this season with 14 teams having better records above them. Once again, it is the Football Thesaurus that retroactively awards the Tide this title. Alabama finished third in the SEC that year, while Mississippi State won the SEC title. It completely baffles me that 'Bama claims a national title in 1941.

1961: Truth
Paul "Bear" Bryant—God's gift to men, women, and children everywhere (or perhaps even God himself, to some)—finally won a legitimate, outright national title for the Tide in 1961. Congratulations Alabama, that's one. But lets keep counting.

1964: Truth
Alabama (10-1) claims a national title in 1964 despite an 11-0 Arkansas team having a better claim to the title. The "final poll" was conducted before the bowl games that season, which saw Alabama lose to Texas in the Rose Bowl. It's interesting that Arkansas beat that same Texas team earlier in the season en route to an undefeated season and bowl win. Had the polls been conducted after the bowls, then surely it would have been a consensus in favor of the Hogs. But, based solely on the fact that the poll is flawed, I still must respect and acknowledge 1964's system. Here lies the second Alabama national title.

1965: Truth
This time, there were three teams with better records than 'Bama. 'Bama was 9-1-1, Michigan State 10-1-0, Arkansas 10-1-0, and Nebraska 10-1-0. Was it fair for Alabama to claim one this season? It's iffy, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, they could have had a tough schedule. We're up to three.

1973: Truth
AP puts 'Bama fourth in its final poll after the Tide's bowl game loss. 'Bama claims a National Championship from the UPI poll that was taken before they met Notre Dame in the bowl game and lost. There were three teams with better records than Alabama this year. The embarrassment of naming Alabama number one caused the UPI to begin naming champions after bowl games in subsequent seasons. Yet, Alabama has no shame in claiming this one. Ahh, Comical. Will someone please pass the chips and dip? This is getting good. However, I must hand Alabama the title this year, even though they shouldn't claim it. The system was what it was.

1978: Truth
The AP Poll named Alabama national champions this year, while the UPI poll gave it to USC. On an interesting note, Alabama (11-1-0) lost to USC (12-1-0) in 1978—at home. Although Alabama "shares" the title this year with a team that beat them, I guess I'll call this one "truth," as USC also lost a regular season game. Alabama finished the season with an impressive goal-line stand win over Penn State. Five titles.

1979: Truth
Alabama only gave up 67 points this season en route to five shutout victories. The Crimson Tide shut down Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl 24-9 and claimed another outright national title, according to the AP. Here is title number six.

1992: Truth
In a game that's replayed over and over again on ESPN Classic, Alabama walloped Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl to claim the outright 1992 national title. 1992 becomes Alabama's magical title number seven.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Honey Badger found on Bourbon Street after the game....

Attachments

• honey badger.jpg
    honey badger.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 207

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Congrats to Bammers. Like my Facebookie said last night, sometimes you just get your butt kicked. Alabama had an outstanding game plan, especially on offense...I didn't watch many UA games this year but of those that I did, I don't ever remember their offese being so pass happy, and their QB was on the money over and over against a very good secondary.

A big Bronx cheer for the LSU offensive game plan which seemed hell bent on running east/west on a fast defense. But, what do I know, I'm not a coach.

So I will be interested to see what the LSU offense looks like next year with the ballyhooed new QBs coming in.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Here was our view from the Cotton Bowl...pretty good seats..

For those who have always wanted to know what Mr/Mrs Arkiehawg look like, we're in this picture :wave:

CottonBowl2012.jpg

CottonBowl2012FanCam.jpg

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal