• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
SJ, Publix has the Irish Oatmeal and it is wonderful. I'm not sure if the Watercolor Publix has it though--I buy it at the new PCB Publix (Sandestin probably has it). Look for it in a white round tin. The only catch is that is takes about 30 min. to prepare.

Try it with fresh fruit and just a couple of tablespoons of cream or 1/2 & 1/2. The cream does add a little fat, but the flavor is awesome!

It will keep you full past lunchtime.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Camp Creek Kid said:
SJ, Publix has the Irish Oatmeal and it is wonderful. I'm not sure if the Watercolor Publix has it though--I buy it at the new PCB Publix (Sandestin probably has it). Look for it in a white round tin. The only catch is that is takes about 30 min. to prepare.

Try it with fresh fruit and just a couple of tablespoons of cream or 1/2 & 1/2. The cream does add a little fat, but the flavor is awesome!

It will keep you full past lunchtime.

McCann's has a quick cooking version so you can enjoy Irish oatmeal in five minutes flat. There's no way I'd have the patience or time to stir for 30 minutes!

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
jdarg said:
I love BLT's for breakfast. And cold pizza. And cold spaghetti. And cold leftover Chinese food. Oops- this is the healthy breakfast thread, huh?

Quaker has a new instant oatmeal- low sugar, maple brown sugar flavor. It has become a habit.

The protein Special K is good if doctored up- fruit, splenda, cinnamon.

My doc recommends the plain lowfat yogurt mixed with Splenda and a little vanilla- it's not bad. Good for wimmens too.

Whole grain bread or bagel with turkey. I eat this in the car alot.

Haha! That's what Seagrover eats for breakfast! :rotfl:

I like Whole Grain Total with strawberries and I will add some almond slivers. I don't have a lot of time for breakfast so cereal is about it. When I'm lucky, a whole grain english muffin with low fat veggie cream cheese! Yum!

After having this in Europe, I like uncooked oatmeal with dried and/or fresh fruit with nuts or unsalted sunflower seeds. It's really good with fat-free yogurt, too.

Here's a healthy breakfast casserole recipe that you can throw together in about five minutes the night before.

Low-Fat Overnight Breakfast Casserole

7 slices bread

1 tablespoon margarine

1 package Canadian bacon, chopped

6 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated

6 ?Egg Beaters?

1 ? cups low-fat milk

1 teaspoon salt

? teaspoon black pepper

Cut crusts off bread, and place on bottom of 9 X 13-inch casserole dish greased with margarine. Sprinkle bacon and cheese on top of bread. Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, and pour on top. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 8 at 175 calories per serving and 3 grams of fat.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
Smiling JOe said:
I grow a little bored with breakfast and am seeking some new ideas to work into my diet (daily intake, not weight watcher's) which are 1) Healthy and filling, 2) Tasty & 3) Easy and quick to prepare.

I would like to avoid meat and dairy products and include whole grain fiber.

Any suggestions? :dunno:
I would suggest going to Blue Orleans and having a cajun or southwestern omelet. If you are worried about your heart, add a little extra tobasco. Cheers.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Mermaid said:
Oatmeal is a great idea. I like the McCann's Irish Oatmeal that I can buy at Trader Joe's (Kimmi, you should try it too!). It bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Quaker Oats. Not even in the same ballpark. It tastes good by itself but if you want to be extra healthy, add in almonds and/or dried or fresh fruit. Carrying on with the oatmeal idea, home-made granola is also good, easy to make, and so much better for you than that boxed crap they sell in the groceries.

Mermaid, I totally agree with you. This oatmeal is GREAT!! I love mine with sliced bananas and a small sprinkle of brown sugar.:love: It is just fine plain too.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Santiago said:
I would suggest going to Blue Orleans and having a cajun or southwestern omelet. If you are worried about your heart, add a little extra tobasco. Cheers.
Oh, I have eaten the omelets at Gator's place. Can you spell High Blood Pressure?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I, too, love the irish steel cut oatmeal. It does take a while to make, and I add raisins, nuts that are good for you (almonds or walnuts), cinnamon (very good for reducing blood pressure) and sometimes apples (that I put in toward the end of cooking so they don't get too mushy). I make a big batch, put it in smaller bowls and freeze them. Then, in the morning during the week I just pull out a bowl and heat it up in the microwave.

Also, some good wasa whole wheat bread "crackers" with excellent cheese, smoked salmon, olives, tomatoes, capers, onions etc. It wouldn't be like a regular breakfast, but it would feel special while sitting on the porch. If you like soup for breakfast, some nice low-sodium black bean soup in a can is a quick and easy breakfast. I bring a can of black bean soup for lunch at work and just cook it up in the microwave (though I add salt because it can be bland).

then, of course, there are poached eggs on whole wheat toast. Omelets made primarily with egg whites with good cheese, tomatoes, salmon, something green (e.g., your fresh basil or oregano), canadian bacon.

And Trader Joe's is amazing for good food. Their no fat greek yogurt is amazing (a bit expensive but tastes like fresh cream).