Misc New 30a Home Construction Cost

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by mydogbabe, Feb 26, 2017.

1. chitown

chitown Beach Comber

We are also looking. Have you had success finding a builder? What are the sq. footage quotes that you've found?

2. chitown

chitown Beach Comber

Have you had luck finding a builder? If so, what have you found to be the costs per sq ft? We are also looking . Thanks!

3. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Thinking Modular !!
    since I've seen completed modular homes
    and you would never know. Plus all frame work ( steel or wood) done by crews working daily. Delivered and installed, then subs finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

Well, I have been going through with a few contractors to get an idea for the price to build on my lot that I already own and have been surprised at the numbers I have gotten.

First, my plans and all are pretty basic. The house is on pilings and a basic rectangle. 1300 sqft living area with a small loft that adds another 200 sqft roughly. I informed all contractors that I wanted a basic finish level, no crown moulding, whatever their basic countertops are, no landscaping as I would take care of that, no concrete driveway, I was paying upfront all surveys and land clearing, no appliances as I would pay for them upfront out of my pocket. So essentially, just the basic home construction with no real frills...

I have gotten bids for this that come from $325k down to $260k. To me, with this being just a basic house not including the land that is WAY more than I was wanting to spend. When you add in Cost of land that puts me around $400k with the $325k builders for a fairly small 2 bedroom 2 bath house.... which is $266.66 a sqft.

Also, after construction is complete I just highly doubt it would be appraised at over $400k

Maybe I am just too cheap and don't realize it.... If people pay that and that is what the market supports then congrats to the builders but I simply cant justify that price for a regular house.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. chitown

chitown Beach Comber

6. chitown

chitown Beach Comber

That does seem high. Do you have any porch areas under roof?

7. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

Just some input, covered porches do add to cost and affect pp sq ft, but get the largest screened-in porch you can afford and ensure that it is functional to use as a living area with maybe tv, fireplace, etc.
    For 9 months out of the year, you will enjoy this area as a living room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

If you were asking about mine, I do have a small front porch in the plans but it is under the roof line and is a very basic porch. No screen or anything like that, just regular pressure treated wood. I think it is about 6ft - 8ft x 20 ft. The entire house I am trying to build is roughly 1500 sqft under roof with the porch on the front.

I just had another bid come in yesterday at around $350k..... I do not think a bank would even loan that on the projected house. I do not see where it would appraise at that price after construction and land, it isn't anything special.

I have had builders from outside the area tell me that it is because the guys down here have enough work that is high end with a higher profit margin that they do not need to take on smaller projects unless they can make a large profit off of it and that subs are charging the contractors crazy amounts for the work that they are doing. Not saying that this is the case, it is simply what I have been told. It is impressive to me that they are able to throw these prices at people for such small homes and that people actually pay that. Before I pay $350k for a 1500 sqft house, I can buy a larger one for less. I am holding out to find someone that can either build for what I think is reasonable.... Or I will do like someone else on here said and buy a modular.

Just a year or two ago, there were some houses built on 393 that were 1300 to 1500 sqft on pilings that sold for $179k Brand New with the land..... Now it seems to have just shy of doubled that for me just to build and I already own the land.... Something seems off to me but I know nothing about construction.

9. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

The prices quoted are quite amazing relative to several years ago and unfortunate more reasonable pricing cannot be achieved. This is not a good sign or trend for working families in S-Walton. I have heard rumors of quality subcontractors inflating prices and sad this is affecting your dream house. :sosad:

10. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

$175/ft is not out of the norm for the house construction only. If you include the lot in your square footage, that can skew your numbers and can differ widely because of location. Houses on pilings are going to be higher per square foot for a number of reasons not the least of which is the pilings installation, the more extensive use of scaffolding, the underpinning, extra stairs, covered porches, etc. Also, smaller square foot houses have a larger per square foot price because you still have to have all the same amount of mechanicals for a small house as a large house. The extra square footage of empty floor space is relatively cheaper.

11. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

I am looking for an affordable architect. Home size approximately 2200 sq. ft. Been searching internet for home plans, but with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Abby Prentiss

Abby Prentiss Beach Fanatic

Tim Tricker is amazing ...
    Projects

13. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

14. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

Yeah, maybe it's just strange to me that not long ago a house on pilings, in the same area, same size roughly, were built and sold for 179k.

As I said before, I know very little about building and construction. It's just very difficult for me to understand how a small house like that can be valued anywhere near that to build. Maybe if there was a high level of finish but not for a standard finish level.

I actually just had another estimate come in yesterday at 356k.

For that price then include the land cost (under 500k), I could purchase plenty of houses on the mls currently that are bigger and finished well.

15. Garrett Horn

Garrett Horn Beach Lover

I'm not sure where you are getting 179k from. That is so last century. (I'm trying to be funny). The construction of a house involves so many "parts" and subcontractors. Picture each one of these parts costing more through natural inflation (Cokes use to cost 15 cents, back in the day) and it just adds up. Picture the costs of material always going up because of demand. Picture workman's comp insurance at around 40% for every workman out there. Picture regulations that require hurricane proof building procedures and impact resistant windows and doors.
    That being said, possibly the best way to insure you are getting the best deal you can, is actually a cost-plus contract, in which the builder gives you copies of all costs of material and subcontractors he incurs, and you agree on a set contractor's fee that you negotiate in advance. If a builder bids a fixed amount on a house, he will have to include a contingency fee, sometimes called "padding" in case things go wrong, which almost always happens. If he estimates too tight, he runs the chance of going out of business. Back in the day, I bid a house, and Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, and the price of 1/2" plywood tripled overnight. Ouch!

16. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the explanation! I surely understand that they must make a profit. Hopefully I'll find a price that I can swallow move forward with!

The times I wish I had learned how to build! I'm sure there is a good feeling of accomplishment if you hands on build your own house!

17. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Yes, I fell into building as a young man, and loved the feeling of accomplishment from standing walls and drying in a roof. Then you progress on into liability, workman's comp, cost over-runs, change orders, and constant number-crunching. Funny how things change.

18. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

Haha I can imagine, I simply meant one time and that being my own home.

I understand the business end of it, time schedules are my nightmare. I am a ship captain and frequently have to explain why it may take us twice as long to get somewhere when we are running through storms or whatever other environmental forces may be delaying us. Then our marketing departments don't market our ships accurately...they can always go much faster, carry much more cargo, and hold in much more severe weather according to them. Then I'm stuck trying to explain to someone that the guy they spoke with was a salesman....

19. chitown

chitown Beach Comber

BlaineAtk - Are the bids broken down for you to see what the costs are for specifics items? If so, do any seem high to you?

20. BlaineAtk

BlaineAtk Beach Comber

No, I haven't actually gotten any paperwork from anyone with a cost breakdown. What I have basically been getting is an email from the builders stating what they estimate that I will spend to get it built.... I have been sending out my plans and then they reply about two weeks later give or take with a pretty basic answer saying that they can build for x amount of dollars. I have gotten prices from 225k which seems decent all the way up to 356K. I dont see how the price can vary that much without someone on the high end making a pile of money....

I have discussed options which I want a basic finish level, no landscaping, I have pay upfront for land clearing, no appliances in the cost as I am paying for them cash, surveys paying upfront, the house a consistent pitch all the way down which doesnt change or have multiple pitches, no protruding areas from the house as it is just a rectangle, front porch not screened in and it will be regular pressure treated wood, the lower area is open, no concrete driveway or concrete slab under the house, etc.