• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I think everyone should relax and go to the beach or something. I have not read those facebook posts but I have not seen or heard any personal threats. However it would be naive to believe that people are not really upset by all the insults regarding their intelligence and poverty and morality. What were you thinking? Why would you think it is okay to call another person inhuman? If they can post on facebook they can certainly see what you are posting on this forum. I all for ending this thread pronto...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes please do. I will give them a copy of your post as well.

My posts don't reference physically harming or threaten anyone. In fact there is nothing in my posts that would be in anyway of interest to law-enforcement.

I was certainly relieved to see the metal detector in use at the annex, and imagine it will be used at next week's meeting. Good Lord.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
If you look at the CNN poll from a few weeks ago on the Flag issue, and look at the specific stats within that poll, it tells a good overall story about opinions, racial divide, education, etc... the poll looked at opinions on what the confederate flag stands for in general and whether the flag should be removed from public land or not.

...nearly all flag-related questions reveal broad racial divides.

The poll shows that 57% of Americans see the flag more as a symbol of Southern pride than as a symbol of racism, about the same as in 2000 when 59% said they viewed it as a symbol of pride. Opinions of the flag are sharply divided by race, and among whites, views are split by education.

Among African-Americans, 72% see the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism, just 25% of whites agree. In the South, the racial divide is even broader. While 75% of Southern whites describe the flag as a symbol of pride and 18% call it a symbol of racism, those figures are almost exactly reversed among Southern African-Americans, with just 11% seeing it as a sign of pride and 75% viewing it as a symbol of racism.

Among whites, there's a sharp divide by education, and those with more formal education are less apt to see the flag as a symbol of pride. Among whites with a college degree, 51% say it's a symbol of pride, 41% one of racism. Among those whites who do not have a college degree, 73% say it's a sign of Southern pride, 18% racism.

A majority favors removing the Confederate flag from government property that isn't part of a museum: 55% support that while 43% are opposed. And half support private companies choosing not to sell or manufacture items featuring the Confederate flag: 50% are in favor, 47% opposed.

But most oppose other efforts, including redesigning state flags that feature Confederate emblems or symbols to remove references to the Confederacy (57% oppose that), renaming streets and highways named after Confederate leaders (68% oppose that) and removing tributes to those who fought for the Confederacy from public places (71% oppose that).

Among African-Americans, however, most favor removing flags from government property (73%), private companies stopping the sale or manufacture of products featuring the flag (65%) and redesigning state flags that feature Confederate references to remove them (59%)...

The CNN/ORC poll was conducted June 26-28 among a random national sample of 1,017 adults. Additional interviews were conducted with African-Americans and combined with those reached through the initial sample of 1,017 for a total of 303 non-Hispanic black respondents. The margin of sampling error for all adults is +/- 3 percentage points, for results among blacks it is +/- 5.5 percentage points. Results among the 727 non-Hispanic whites reached in the initial sample have a margin of sampling error of +/- 3.5 percentage points.

more analsis and poll questions at cnn.com.

Since we all live and work in Walton County we probably better first understand how Walton County feels.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
My posts don't reference physically harming or threaten anyone. In fact there is nothing in my posts that would be in anyway of interest to law-enforcement.

I was certainly relieved to see the metal detector in use at the annex, and imagine it will be used at next week's meeting. Good Lord.
I did not take your posts as a threat but I did take them as an insult. Does that mean anything to you?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
So now people are threatening us with bodily harm? Maybe I should contact the sheriff's office. Threats are scary, and we will be taking them seriously. And since you have published that you had knowledge about this, you will be the first person that I have the sheriff speak to if any thing bad should happen or threats are made. I can't even believe this.

Jdarg, this post is far from worthy of you and your innate intelligence. "Whoopass" does not necessarily relate to "bodily harm". It has always been, as I understand, a saying meaning strong response but not of a physical nature, necessarily. To be perfectly blunt, I think you are overreacting and being irrational and I know you are more intelligent than that.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Since we all live and work in Walton County we probably better first understand how Walton County feels.

It's very interesting how the country AND the south feels on the issues... plus whites v. blacks... I appreciate a look at the whole picture. Helps me wrap my mind around it all.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Jdarg, this post is far from worthy of you and your innate intelligence. "Whoopass" does not necessarily relate to "bodily harm". It has always been, as I understand, a saying meaning strong response but not of a physical nature, necessarily. To be perfectly blunt, I think you are overreacting and being irrational and I know you are more intelligent than that.

Sorry Andy, but I know of some real threats out there against others involved in this effort. I'm not over reacting, and will no longer participate in this particular discussion for the reason mentioned above. That does not mean I will stop working on this effort, it is just pointless and on this forum and now starting to give me the willies. I've lived in Walton County long enough to know what's out there- this isn't my first rodeo.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The CNN poll is just that, a poll. It concerns the flag in general and not the one that is part of a memorial on the court house lawn in Walton County.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I did not take your posts as a threat but I did take them as an insult. Does that mean anything to you?

And I took pretty much every post you made as insulting to a whole lot of people. So there you have it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The CNN poll is just that, a poll. It concerns the flag in general and not the one that is part of a memorial on the court house lawn in Walton County.

Yes, it is a poll with results on several current issues for those who are interested.

And yes, I do believe Walton County would have rather similar results in some of the poll questions, but not in taking down the flag.

Why can't the South secede from the North (Walton County) today - it just makes perfect sense.