• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Most of you have no idea what you are talking about! If you would attend some of the workshops offered by Brad Pickle and others involved in beach nourishment, then you might have some idea of what you are talking about. Otherwise you are just blathering as so often happens here. Brad, if you feel like informing the uninformed, please weigh in.

sometimes blathering is the way we learn about these issues... and this one is important for the preservation of our beautiful beaches. Brad is the expert and I'm glad he's on our team. But you're right, Andy A, it's complicated and there is much to learn about the best practices and environmental needs in South Walton.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Solution to what? The beach isn't in the same location it was last year? That 's nature.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
One solution is that the DEP and County should stop allowing structures to be built south of the CCCL (Coastal Construction Control Line)
Or tell them when they build that if the gulf takes it, its just gone and they cant rebuild unless it is behind the newest CCCL created. If that CCCL is in the middle of 30A....oh well.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't understand why we spend so much money on the beach renourishing. It seems futile, has lower quality sand, and kills turtles. And the next big storm washes it all away.

Yes, I have seen the graphic about how it helps, just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The plantings make sense, as does protecting dunes and better regulation about where to build or rebuild.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I don't understand why we spend so much money on the beach renourishing. It seems futile, has lower quality sand, and kills turtles. And the next big storm washes it all away.

Yes, I have seen the graphic about how it helps, just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The plantings make sense, as does protecting dunes and better regulation about where to build or rebuild.

People will do stuff in a desperate situation - not always the right things.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

May I strongly suggest you contact Brad Pickle and express your opinion. He'll set you straight in a New York minute. Better yet, attend one of his upcoming workshops and learn what beach renourishment is really all about. It is obvious that at this point you haven't a clue.

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Am fortunate to be visiting the area since early 90's, 2-3 times a year. We stay at a family place just east of lake Powell so have sent the areas change and the beaches come and go.

I can't remember what storm completely washed most of the beach away in front our our condos, but from then onward, ANY storm would cause the waves to hit the toe of the dune and the bottom of the steps down to the beach. We were lucky there was even a dune as the properties on either side of our 300' of beachfront had walls that were being hit when the water came up. Much wet sand, not much beach those days. One of those walls was at least 7 feet tall, and we could hide beside the corner of it as a wind break with at least 15' of space before our dune started. The waters edge was maybe 20 yards from the toe of the dune.

Then the 1st beach reclamation came, and the barge pumped the sand onto the beach, from the second sandbar, and it was an amazing thing to witness. Just how much sand could be moved and spread. We were able to see it on our next visit, but it hadn't made it to us just yet, but on the next visit - wow! The beach had grown to about 60 yards away from the toe of the dune, and they had made some levels, so that if a big storm did come, it could not reach the toe of the dune, and thus allow for it to grow, as they also did platings in front of the original dune.

The sand was very soft, and not the white color we were used to, nor as fine, BUT, we had an awesome beach with plenty of room! The retaining wall we hid behind was now at my feet!!!! I had no idea that much sand could be moved!!! The sand eventually bleaches to the white color we expect, and the first level did get washed away from another hurricane, but, if that beach had not been restored, the hurricane would have completely decimated everything down our way, as one dune will not hold a storm back.

There is now quite a substantial second dune that is getting quite tall, and the beach was again renourished 3 years ago but not as drastically, and it's in great shapeand has the white sand we expect. The ocean floor is mostly featureless in the gulf, so marine life goes where ever, just as the sand shifts beneath the water. I'm sure some sea life was harmed, but I never saw nor smelled dead fish or anything on the beach.

The nature will take it's course people and the sand will eventually come back will be waiting a long time for that to occur. Since there are buildings in the way of where the rest of the dunes should be, not just the one dune, it cannot build itself back like nature normally would. It would take natural areas such as Deer Lake to experience that, but all that is long gone and we can't get it back.

Go check out some of the pcb access points and look for yourself, the beach is nice and wide, then go check Rosemary, and see how little beach there actually is. The renourishment would push the waters edge at least 20-30 yards out from where it is now. You would be pleasanltly surprised by the renewal.

Sorry for the ramble & misspellings -I hate the "corrections" the ipad makes!!