First, let me say that the latest "Real Trend" report was for June 2008, not July.
My typographical mistake.
Don't mistake all of Walton County with sales in South Walton from Mack Bayou Rd to Inlet Beach.
(I don't make that mistake, but I only have access to the real trend report. thanks for posting additional data, it is very revealing. see below).
For that particular area, it was somewhere in the middle comparing each month to 2007, with Jan, Feb and April being better than June. However, June 2008 sales volume ($) was the highest month, year to date, with total sales of $42,414,148, which is 17% higher than our second best month this year (April).
For that area, the following are the numbers for June 2008:
SFD (single family detached homes)
34 % increase in qty of sales over 2007 (51 sales in June 2007)
(If I do the math correctly, that means there were about 68 sales in that area in 2008, correct? Making the average sales price in 2008 about $625k +/-, correct? doing the same math for 2007, the average price was about $940k, correct? That equates to an average year over year price decrease of about 34%, correct? now that is an interesting piece of information. we do need to dig a little deeper. The price decrease in Sowal is HUGE compared to all of walco.)
13 % decrease in total dollar volume compared to 2007
If you review the last 24 months, you will see that June 2007 was the highest $ volume month we had, with sales volume of $48,169,400. Our second highest month in that same 24 month period was June 2008, with $42,414,148.
[B
](certainly not surprising, haven't the spring months historically been the best in terms of real estate sales?)[/B]
As for lots in that same area, yes, sales ($) were very low, but they have been all year long. However, I can tell you that it was our second best month this year, falling only behind January sales.
If you want to know what areas are doing well, you need to break down the numbers, and if you want to know the real story of real estate, take the "Real Trend" report with a grain of salt.
(
No doubt. But, I will take yours with a grain of salt too. Your analysis stops short of telling the whole story as noted in the average price comparison noted above.)
You can read the "Real Trend" report, but don't consider it the real news story for all the areas, since it doesn't show the numbers month by month, and fails to break down sales by area. Comparing North Walton with South Walton real estate, and using those numbers as a guide for either area, is like comparing apples and blueberries.
(you are absolutely right. as noted above, the average sales price for homes in the specific area you quoted is down much, much more than for all of Walco--see notes above.)
I encourage people to search out the entire truth
(I also encourage people to get the rest of the story when reviewing any data. In the real trend data I post, I am simply relaying the only info I have access to. Please continue to feed us data on sowal and include year over year comparisons in your post. This info can be very revealing as noted above. Simply stating that June sales were better than January sales in the same calendar year doesn't tell us much.)
and not rely on some total market report, like the "Real Trend" report. I post a brief
monthly summary in the Blog section of SoWal.com and if you would like to see the actual numbers for the last ten years on a spread sheet, simply ask to subscribe by email to my monthly reports. It may help you locate hot and cold spots in the market, and find sales data which better relates to your own property, or property of interest to you.