• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Progressive Conservatives

New posts
Well, that's their business and their right. It's up to the Republican party to decide, as whole, how much influence this particular group has over their public image and policies. Obviously with Bush they held a lot of sway in single issues, hopfully that will moderate a bit.


Certainly it is their right; my concern is the manipulative way they went about it; but then, everyone made their choice, manipulation or not. As they say, we get the government we deserve. :D




I've repeatedly said on this board Palin was a play for disaffected Hillary voters, and I believe that's one of the primary reasons he chose her. The other was to rally the base, which worked. :idontno:



The idea of getting Hillary voters to me was completely out of left field IMO. Palin is as different from Hillary as night is from day...and the base voters were energized for all the reasons I stated above.



It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I bet there are many who wish Governor Palin had stayed in Alaska and that Senator McCain had kept the Straight-Talk Express, regardless of whether he wins or loses...IMO he would have been more successful on the center line instead of the sharp right turn he chose.

This election will certainly make an interesting case study for a future political science/public relations class.






I
 
Last edited:
You can push, but when pushed back Christians complain they are being persecuted . I don't push my beliefs on them and I expect the same courtesy.
There is no confusion, I know when someone is trying to force religion down my throat.

Freedom of speech doesn't give one the right to try to pass legislation to force me to live by their religious doctrine. I don't think you would like someone trying to force another religion on you. I live by my own set of values, most being similar to yours minus the imaginary friend.

I agree, although again, I question how much legislation has actually been offered up. There's been a lot of rhetoric but I don't know of much actual legislation. The legislation I am concerned about (internet gambling is a good example) tends to get pushed through by "do gooders" in both parties. Wouldn't you agree?
 
Well, that's their business and their right. It's up to the Republican party to decide, as whole, how much influence this particular group has over their public image and policies. Obviously with Bush they held a lot of sway in single issues, hopfully that will moderate a bit.


Certainly it is their right; my concern is the manipulative way they went about it; but then, everyone made their choice, manipulation or not. As they say, we get the government we deserve. :D




I've repeatedly said on this board Palin was a play for disaffected Hillary voters, and I believe that's one of the primary reasons he chose her. The other was to rally the base, which worked. :idontno:



The idea of getting Hillary voters to me was completely out of left field IMO. Palin is as different from Hillary as night is from day...and the base voters were energized for all the reasons I stated above.



It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I bet there are many who wish Governor Palin had stayed in Alaska and that Senator McCain had kept the Straight-Talk Express, regardless of whether he wins or loses...IMO he would have been more successful on the center line instead of the sharp right turn he chose.

This election will certainly make an interesting case study for a future political science/public relations class.

I

I agree, he'll lose no matter what. But I can only honestly say this in retrospect. At the time it was a risky move that made a lot of sense considering his standing in the polls.
 
I bet there are many who wish Governor Palin had stayed in Alaska


I bet there are many in Alaska who wish she would leave and stay gone.:biggrin:
 
:lolabove: yeah, I was reading a blog yesterday where they were saying just that!
 
I agree, although again, I question how much legislation has actually been offered up. There's been a lot of rhetoric but I don't know of much actual legislation. The legislation I am concerned about (internet gambling is a good example) tends to get pushed through by "do gooders" in both parties. Wouldn't you agree?

How about Proposition 2?
 
How about Proposition 2?

It's hard to blame legislation initiatives like this on a small portion of the population (the religious fundamentalists) when you have similar initiatives gaining majority vote in states like California. There are a lot of people who feel very strongly about this and always have. On Gay marraige, over 60% of the country feels it should not be legal, and on abortion, over 70% feel abortion should be restricted in some way or entirely illegal. That's not representative of a small group, that's a super majority which includes a lot of Democrats.
 
Speaking of which, I was just searching around and couldn't find a single poll on our prop 2, has anybody seen one?
 
It's hard to blame legislation initiatives like this on a small portion of the population (the religious fundamentalists) when you have similar initiatives gaining majority vote in states like California. There are a lot of people who feel very strongly about this and always have. On Gay marraige, over 60% of the country feels it should not be legal, and on abortion, over 70% feel abortion should be restricted in some way or entirely illegal. That's not representative of a small group, that's a super majority which includes a lot of Democrats.

There were a lot of people who felt, and some probably still feel strongly about women having the right to vote and blacks having any freedoms at all, should we go back and revisit these areas like abortion which is settled law?
Not everything is decided by a majority.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top