• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Most owners have a house that is private and don't mind most respectful and considerate tourist or residents. Why don't you respect the Constitution and private property rights and use the NINE miles of public beach?
Personally I would never own a house where people could even walk by and see me on my porch or see in my windows. But that's me. Seems like a lot of gulf front owners feel the same but bought a house with tons of people all around them. That's a ton of money to spend to be so miserable.

Maybe they'd be happier in more private places instead of somewhere that people are going to be swimming, sunning, playing, partying, fornicating or who knows what. If you got to be on the beach find one that doesn't have all that. If that doesn't exist quit trying to kill yourself and pissing off 99% of the population in the process. What a waste of time and energy to pit yourself against the never ending waves of humanity. Look at the surf outside your window and imagine it is people. Never ending.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My syntax was shotty, but by the time I recognized it, I couldn't edit any more. It should have read: The rude behavior you claim instigated all this, was done by tourons, not locals.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Wrong. It is the few very vocal CU advocates using the COUNTY and taxpayer dollars to SUE the beach property owners forced to defend themselves in court using their own money.

Thank you for suing me.

Shannon

Shannon,

6000 (and counting) CU affadavit signers is "the few very vocal"? Nice try in trying to frame CU advocates as a minority. They are not, in fact, the minority.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Shannon,

6000 (and counting) CU affadavit signers is "the few very vocal"? Nice try in trying to frame CU advocates as a minority. They are not, in fact, the minority.

The count is almost 8000... from Florida Beaches For All on Sep 12:
7959 notarized affidavits... and counting!

From the massive stack collected at the Sept 8th hearing my feeling is that the community is very strongly in support of Customary Use. We are just discovering how and who is behind singling out our beaches for privatization. Has this happened anywhere else in Florida? If so where? We are a unique and beautiful beach community. I hope we can work together and keep it that way. I agree we need to do a lot of work on leadership of beach activities, more access and parking, more enforcement, fewer vendors. So let's do those things.

Really appreciate so many people, volunteers, notaries, businesses, restaurants, groups and offices around town pulling together over the last few months to get the work done. No matter what may happen, this community is incredibly hard working and positive about protecting our beaches and future. I am proud of this town. Thankful to live here.

41566247_2249345208428402_5108478507529273344_o.jpg

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Why should everyone else have to suffer because some people spent above their means? I could have bought beach front back when I moved to SOWAL (30+ years ago) but I took into consideration the costs of taxes,insurance,repair/replacement in the event of a hurricane, etc. and decided it just wasnt worth it. Its "keeping up with the Jones (and huckabees and bryants)" at its finest.
I live within my means. That's why we own our beachfront free and clear. 30 years ago beach house with 50 ft of beachfront was what $150,000. Great investment. But now have to pay Walton commissioners 2018 $171,400,000 taxes and deal with incompetent commissioners. Over the decades those Walton taxes add up to more than what we paid for the property.

Understand you didn't think it was worth it then; why, because you thought you could use everyone else private property? Not how the law works. Owner's have the right to let others use their private property or not. You want to demand private property use and support the commissioners litigating against Constitutional private property rights - I and many owners will not be so gracious should private property rights prevail over an obscure common law.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you @ShallowsNole for sharing your experiences and knowledge from your work with Walton County over the years.
ShollowNoles, care to share your real name so your Walton experience, years of County service, and knowledge can be fact checked? Your factual posts do not convey you know the facts. And it's the Coastal Construction Control Line (CCCL). Not CCL. And the title legal description does matter - not what you think or the spirit of the beach. That's the facts.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Shannon,

Indeed the public who want something for nothing is a majority. Fortunately, the United States of America has the rule of law and the majority does not rule - or everything the majority wanted would be customary use.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
First of all, there is a CCL line. It's the County's Coastal Control Line, and differs from the state CCCL line. Few people know this, so your ignorance can be overlooked. Shallownoles was born and bred in this County and probably knows more about this county and this County government than anybody around here. Including you. If you were so sure about your legal position why are you out here denigrating everybody. This seems a whole lot like the Trump strategy: When you know the Law isn't on your side, you play the victim, and try to spin this issue in the court of public opinion. Public opinion is against you. Trump's approval rating is about at 35% and you have about 4 posters on this site who share your sentiments. Give it a break.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
First of all, there is a CCL line. It's the County's Coastal Control Line, and differs from the state CCCL line. Few people know this, so your ignorance can be overlooked. Shallownoles was born and bred in this County and probably knows more about this county and this County government than anybody around here. Including you. If you were so sure about your legal position why are you out here denigrating everybody. This seems a whole lot like the Trump strategy: When you know the Law isn't on your side, you play the victim, and try to spin this issue in the court of public opinion. Public opinion is against you. Trump's approval rating is about at 35% and you have about 4 posters on this site who share your sentiments. Give it a break.
If there is a Walton County "Coastal Control Line" it must be documented in a regulation somewhere. Can you provide your reference to verify? Because that goes to credibility. If it's opion - everyone has one of those. Not denigrating (criticize unfairly) anyone or everyone. I have made statements that can be verified with facts - like the CCCL. What does Trump have to do with anything? What does public opinion have to do with the law? Either you have facts or you don't. I'm not a lawyer but it is a lawyers' adage; If you have the law on your side, argue the law; if you have the facts, argue the facts; if you have neither, pound the table. Facts please, not emotional table pounding opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I live within my means. That's why we own our beachfront free and clear. 30 years ago beach house with 50 ft of beachfront was what $150,000. Great investment. But now have to pay Walton commissioners 2018 $171,400,000 taxes and deal with incompetent commissioners. Over the decades those Walton taxes add up to more than what we paid for the property.

Understand you didn't think it was worth it then; why, because you thought you could use everyone else private property? Not how the law works. Owner's have the right to let others use their private property or not. You want to demand private property use and support the commissioners litigating against Constitutional private property rights - I and many owners will not be so gracious should private property rights prevail over an obscure common law.
It was the people that "have to rent " out their homes to pay the taxes that I was referring to. Way too many people bought with no intention of ever actually occupying the mega house they built on the beach. They did it with every intention of renting it and making a small fortune off it, effectively turning it into a business venture, NOT a home. They give the reins over to a rental company and only collect a check and have no say over the people that occupy it every week. Its those people that pay ungodly amounts for a week,have no respect for anything,and figure the cleaning fee included in the rental will cover everything. But you dont see those housekeepers out on the beach cleaning up the mess. They leave that for the county/TDC to do. It is that kind/class of visitors that have created most of the problems.