• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Bobby J said:
Shelly,
There are two types of markets. Buyers and Sellers markets. A year ago the seller dictated the transaction. Today, a buyer rules. It is merely a term. BTW, I have closed 3 cash transaction in the past two weeks. Tell your friend don't stand around waiting too long. His realtor could be on to something. I have made allot of money while people stand around and analyze. We call it paralysis by analysis!!!!! :dunno:

Bobby J,

I'd appreciate a large loan, with a very low interest rate and in all large bills...please!;-)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Bobby J said:
Shelly,
There are two types of markets. Buyers and Sellers markets. A year ago the seller dictated the transaction. Today, a buyer rules. It is merely a term. BTW, I have closed 3 cash transaction in the past two weeks. Tell your friend don't stand around waiting too long. His realtor could be on to something. I have made allot of money while people stand around and analyze. We call it paralysis by analysis!!!!! :dunno:

It doesn't surprise me that a few places are selling, since we are still in what is normally considered the "buying" season in these parts (although you wouldn't know it with all the inventory on the books that's not moving).

There are lots of folks out there holding RE now that are kicking themselves in the arse because they used the "Ready, Fire, Aim" real estate investment system. Many of them (but not all) listened to agents who told THEM last year was the right time to buy too.....I don't blame the agents, that's how they make their money...with that in mind, I certainly wouldn't take an agent's view of the market as gospel....because that's how they make their money (that's not how they would make me money.)

If you've already got a house to live in, all other real estate is discretionary. Maybe someone who takes their time analyzing a situation that seems "too good to be true" may miss a chance to end up rolling in dough (as you certainly must be by now), but they also aren't stuck with 3 pre-construction condos, $60,000 out of pocket, a HELOC on their primary residence, and a notice that all 3 are closing by the end of August. :shock: (Remember, they're not making anymore sky!)

Tulips, Dot-Coms, Tech Stocks, Beanie Babies, Real Estate......what's the next "anyone can get rich quick with no downside risk" investment? That's the mentality that fueled the run-up in the real estate market during the last couple of years--it topped off last summer and now will take several years to unwind, so there's no need to rush out in the next couple of months to buy...there will be plenty of better buys available on the way down.

andipandi

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2006
I do not really think it is funny for owners to have to sell their property at a loss. I suppose folks who take delight in this never think it could never be them. You never know what can happen in life.

A lot of people who bought in the last 2 yrs are really hurting. Does anyone have anything helpful to say to us????? Please if you are going to be mean spirited or insulting --DON"T!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
andipandi said:
I do not really think it is funny for owners to have to sell their property at a loss. I suppose folks who take delight in this never think it could never be them. You never know what can happen in life.

A lot of people who bought in the last 2 yrs are really hurting. Does anyone have anything helpful to say to us????? Please if you are going to be mean spirited or insulting --DON"T!

I'm sorry you made a bad investment decision...usually people who've walked in those shoes--if they've learned a lesson (every investor loses sometime)--take a more cynical view of all the "hype" surrounding the latest and greatest way to make tons of money without breaking a sweat.

There are lots of folks out there still under the impression that real estate investing is riskless and has no downside. The comeback always goes something like this: "Real estate is better than the stock market--you can't live in stock certificates; real estate has NEVER lost value in the history of man; or, if I can't sell it I can always rent it out to cover my expenses."

Believe me, I'm well aware that losing money on an investment isn't a picnic--but if you had it to do all over again, would you have made the same investment decision? If so, then you should be fine with your present situation. But if you would not, what would have made you decide against it? Didn't your financial advisor, realtor or banker advise you about the downside risk of investing in real estate?

You've obviously come to the realization that your investment isn't meeting your expectations, so now you've gotta step up to the plate and deal with it...when it comes to investing it's a game of "Risk and Reward," you can't have one without the other. Investors are one thing, but there are many, many people who are going to lose their primary residences as a result of this RE money grab--my heart goes out to the naive and defrauded among them.

There are others on the board who believe that what we are experiencing is a temporary lull in real estate and the market will come roaring back "bigger and better than ever before" next Spring if you can just hang on...if that is "helpful" for you, then believe them, maybe they could be right--but you can't take "feel good chit-chat" to the bank....I'd do some REAL number crunching in the interim.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Though SHELLY often appears to be mocking those who have made a miscalculated investment, I agree with the sound economic advice above. I will add, andipandi, that if you are an END USER (ie SoWal is a place you want to be in the mid to long term) and you can truly afford your purchase, try not to worry much about it. That is easier said than done, certainly, but at some point, assuming you do not need to sell, the market will recover and even continue strengthening. But there seem to be too many variables for anyone to reasonably predict when that may be. Meantime, enjoy your purchase, because with a place in SoWal, that is one thing you can surely do. ;-)

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Shelly - there are plenty here who made good, even great gains by investing in the "next hot thing" when it was SoWal. We are the ones who think you are cruel and rubbing it in to the less fortunate.

There are plenty here who were not so fortunate and might take losses. They are the ones who think you are cruel and rubbing it in their face.

I suspect you hang around, even after resigning from this forum once, because all the sunny people on this forum drive you insane. You long ago passed from the "I told you so" phase to the "just plain ugly and cruel" phase. Give it a rest before you get visited by 3 ghosts and end up in H E double toothpicks.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Amp22 said:
I suspect you hang around, even after resigning from this forum once, because all the sunny people on this forum drive you insane.

Not really--my priest insisted that I give something up for lent so I wouldn't go to H-E-double-toothpick. I had to make a choice between giving up posting on the RE forum and pulling wings off of flies... ;-)

P.S. In my case, insanity is more of a long putt than a drive.<rimshot> :D

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
Though SHELLY often appears to be mocking those who have made a miscalculated investment, I agree with the sound economic advice above. I will add, andipandi, that if you are an END USER (ie SoWal is a place you want to be in the mid to long term) and you can truly afford your purchase, try not to worry much about it. That is easier said than done, certainly, but at some point, assuming you do not need to sell, the market will recover and even continue strengthening. But there seem to be too many variables for anyone to reasonably predict when that may be. Meantime, enjoy your purchase, because with a place in SoWal, that is one thing you can surely do. ;-)
Agreed TFT - I find SHELLY's comments enlightening and I try not to take them personally.

sberry123

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2006
Shelly's insights may have helped many people in terms of realestate investing by giving a different view point. Who knows what the market is going to do, if I knew, I would be a billionaire. He/She does have a right to boast since she predicted this way back when and he/she took the beating on the forum from the naysayers.

andipandi

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2006
Shelly you did predict this. I agreed with you as I watched the daily sale, pending and sold listings--but it was too late for us. I had watched south walton property soar for 10 yrs. I do not even understand the numbers that SJ is kind enough to post. I am a novice and did make a bad investment sadly as it turns out. My husband and I are not risk takers we have never even put $20 in a slot machine or gambled. I think I have bought 5 lotto tickets in my life. We have worked in health care our entire life. We hoped to retire soon. We are much better at taking care of the sick than investing obviously.
What makes me so sad is I talked my husband into this. As hard as I work, he works even harder. I love south walton:love: and based this venture more on love than finanical advise. We are not able to travel there due to illness and work as much as we would like.
I am serious about any creative thoughts anyone would be so kind to share about what folks are doing who have a home they need to sell with an interest only loan(Please do not kick me --down already--got it dumb dumb dumb). It has not sold at $100K loss and it is not overpriced. We will work two jobs before we give it away. if we had flipped it immediately , we would have made a profit. But no we had to wait a year!!!

Here are some things I have considered:
Sell our primary home and live in a tent.:eek:

Move the house from South Walton to our hometown and sell our primary . I guess the bank would not like that since we have a 300% mortgage now.

Or if everyone on the board and all the realtors, investors would go buy one piece of property in the area to reduce the inventory the market would improve.
As you can see my best thinking got me here.