• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh yea I met the Nicest Lady there and she turned out to be Ms. Kitty, Damn I Finally met her.

:wave:...back at ya'! You forgot to say I was wearing my Surfrider T-shirt! Must say you and jack s looked much better in yours. I thank you all for representing the beaches!:clap:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:clap::clap: I am so glad you went!!

I almost stopped on my way back from DeF- but the kids were grumpy and they didn't want to sit around anymore!

So how did the BCC meeting go- what was said about the beaches?

:wave:...back at ya'! You forgot to say I was wearing my Surfrider T-shirt! Must say you and jack s looked much better in yours. I thank you all for representing the beaches!:clap:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It isn't a regular allergic reaction. The algae produces a toxin with an aerosol component. When you breathe that in, your body tries its best to get rid of it with all the coughing and sneezing and dripping snot. Histamine might be involved, I don't know about that, but I don't think you would want to try to suppress your body's attempts to cough/barf/flush away the crap. Once you get away from it, the reaction calms down pretty quickly. Can be bad for someone with asthma though, may trigger an attack.

drbawa

Beach Lover
Sep 21, 2005
Red Tide Reporting

Besides affecting swimmers, I have had numerous people who have had their sinuses acting up and people getting runny noses and it seems that it might be from the red tide.

The Florida Fish and Wild Life Research Institute has a hotline number for panama city but I think we should have a website reporting this for Destin and 30A.

Perhaps we need to find ways to get this testing done regularly and report the results so people are aware of this problem before it gets bad. The Tourist Development Council or the new Lifeguards might need to be responsible for this.

As a community physician, I would be happy to push for this if anyone knows any contacts in the above organizations. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Thank you.

Dr. Nitin Bawa, MD
45 Sugar Sand Lane, Suite A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
850 428 0182

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
I tested the water last year for the f & w research lab. The sample must be collected in bottles that they send you. Then the bottle is sent to St Petersburg for analysis. I did it by going into the water from shore, but they prefer boats to do it. There is no local lab that tests for it, and no local agency that tests for it either.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I surfed in red tide for three days during Hurricane Katrina and had 3 upper respiratory infections in a row that year. I don't recommend ever swimming in that mess. I definitely think it is toxic to humans; some more than others but still not good. DR

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
It isn't a regular allergic reaction. The algae produces a toxin with an aerosol component. When you breathe that in, your body tries its best to get rid of it with all the coughing and sneezing and dripping snot. Histamine might be involved, I don't know about that, but I don't think you would want to try to suppress your body's attempts to cough/barf/flush away the crap. Once you get away from it, the reaction calms down pretty quickly. Can be bad for someone with asthma though, may trigger an attack.

Besides affecting swimmers, I have had numerous people who have had their sinuses acting up and people getting runny noses and it seems that it might be from the red tide.

The Florida Fish and Wild Life Research Institute has a hotline number for panama city but I think we should have a website reporting this for Destin and 30A.

Perhaps we need to find ways to get this testing done regularly and report the results so people are aware of this problem before it gets bad. The Tourist Development Council or the new Lifeguards might need to be responsible for this.

As a community physician, I would be happy to push for this if anyone knows any contacts in the above organizations. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Thank you.

Dr. Nitin Bawa, MD
45 Sugar Sand Lane, Suite A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
850 428 0182

Thank you!