• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
...definite symptoms today in rosemary...north of 30-a...

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Has anybody mentioned all the dead fish on the beach ?

I did not see any dead fish. :dunno:
I did see lots of fish jumping out of the water and sharks today.

and all the red tide looking flakes were gone today too.

(or I am getting blinder than I thought)

Last edited:

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I was walking on the beach at Watersound....lots of dead fish all along the beach. I even saw a tiny octopus wash ashore. it was heart wrenching to see that poor little creature dead.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Red tide is definitely here - hurricanes, tourists, and red tide - the only 3 drawbacks of arranging your life so you're never far from the beach ;-).

Between exposure from the leatherback turtle nest hatch, yard work, tarpon club, and only leaving 30-A under severe duress I'm ready to throw my contacts out the window.:sosad:

Would benadryl or sudafed help the beachgoing puppies? We used to have to give our dog meds because he was allergic to fresh cut grass (don't get me started on overbred purebreds vs. mutts)

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Wednesday October 10th, 2007

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

Okaloosa County has one piece of advice for coughing, watery-eyed beachgoers this week.

?Just go shopping or do something else,? said Kathy Newby, the county?s spokeswoman.

The county health department on Wednesday issued a health advisory for red tide on local beaches.

?We just like to get some knowledge out there about it,? Newby said.

?A lot of times, the tourists aren?t as familiar as the residents are.?

The advisory warned local and out-of-town beachgoers of the plant-like organism?s toxin, which can attack human lungs and eyes.

The symptoms usually disappear within 24 hours.

But individuals with severe chronic respiratory conditions such as emphysema or asthma should still avoid beach areas, the advisory warned.

And red tide?s toxin can also cause illness in humans by contaminating edible shellfish. Cooking does not eliminate the toxin.

Red tide may also cause fish kills, but it has caused no reported human fatalities.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Lt. Mark Hollinhead said he hadn?t heard any reports of local fish kills, but that they often occur this time of year.

Newby couldn?t predict how long the red tide would persist.

?Sometimes it?s hardly even noticeable, other times it gets really bad,? she said.
?It?s too early to tell.?

-----------------------------

TO LEARN MORE about red tide and read the latest beach updates, go to http://myfwc.com and look under Quick Clicks.

TIPS FOR DEALING with red tide:
If you swim in an affected area, rinse off afterwards with clean, fresh water
Skin rashes and eye, nose and throat irritations should be temporary
If you live near a beach, consider closing windows and running a filtered air conditioner
Beach workers or fisherman can wear paper filter masks to limit exposure

SUFFERING from red tide and need medical advice? Call the Aquatics Toxins hotline at (888) 232-8635

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yesterday afternoon, I noticed hints of the itchy throat while at Grayton Beach State Park. I am in Grayton right now, well off the beach, and just got a case of the coughs from the Red Tide, though it was very mild and lasted for only about 30 seconds.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Yesterday afternoon, I noticed hints of the itchy throat while at Grayton Beach State Park. I am in Grayton right now, well off the beach, and just got a case of the coughs from the Red Tide, though it was very mild and lasted for only about 30 seconds.

I was coughing a few minutes ago when I was outside, too, and Hop observed that the wind was blowing in from the south. But I was coughing in Georgia, too, so I'm not ready to make any judgments on the cause...