• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
Looks like its a bunch of inexperienced developers with inadequate planing. Building anything in Walton County can be a difficult process unless you have a full understanding of all the laws and requirements. I will be shocked if the county cuts them any slack. In the end, I think they are going to learn a very hard lesson about building in Walton County without proper knowledge of development planing.

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Looks like its a bunch of inexperienced developers with inadequate planing. Building anything in Walton County can be a difficult process unless you have a full understanding of all the laws and requirements. I will be shocked if the county cuts them any slack. In the end, I think they are going to learn a very hard lesson about building in Walton County without proper knowledge of development planing.

In the defense of the developers--they are NOT inexperienced and they and their families have been full-time residents of SoWal for at least 4+ years. They are not newcomers to the area and are experienced working through the county. They are not, as someone stated, fresh from Atlanta and trying to make a quick buck. They have been caught in a bad situation with the downturn of the market--just like every other developer and builder in the area. This is not the first project here that they have done. Before moving here, these guys also had experience in other markets.

Nobody could have planned for the downturn of this market. If only we had all listened to Shelly . . .

Fly for Fun, since you don't live or work here, you can't say that you have even a clue about what it takes to get anything done in Walton County. The fact of the matter is that Walton County is so inefficient that it literally takes years to get a project through to a development order. Turnover at the county offices is so high that you may have to work with a new county planner every 12 months. This project has probably been in the works for over 3 years and at that time the market was doing great. Obviously they would not have proceeded with the project if they could have forseen the market today. They are not stupid.

I remember when presales of this development opened up and someone on this board posted about the "great investment opportunity." Several members of SoWal.com were excited that they had a reservation. It was a good project and a good deal at the time.

I think its time for the gossip and speculation to end.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I didn't say that the two developments were trying to get private access, even though Redfish Village is trying to do so. Rather, I state that they will be using the public access at hwy 83. In addition to Redfish Village owners and guests using that public access, the new subdivision located adjacent and north of Redfish Village will also be using that public access at 83. I forget the name of that s/d, but it is the 4th of the developments which I mention heavily impacting BMB. Those developers have already illegally built a bridge across the wetlands around the northern edge of Big Redfish Lake, which was totally unnecessisary.

SJ...from your post #17:

Since I first found out about the four new developments in BMB on Big Redfish Lake, I have been against all four. The impact will be tremendous. For years, I have stated that Walton County needs more public parking for the beach accesses. On any given day in the season, the 83 access is full. Now, you are going to have two developments sending more people to that location. Parking has also been critical at Grayton Beach.

Didn't mean to imply that you said two developments were trying to get private access. The question was meant to ask just who is the second development. Were you thinking of the development adjacent and north of Redfish Village? Isn't that called Lakefront? I could be wrong about the name.

If Redfish Village developers gets permission to use the lot at 260 Blue Mountain Rd. as a private access for it's owners, guests, renters and invitees, what is to stop the Redfish Village home owners association from selling a right to use the access to the Lakefront development and/or others? The current Redfish Village developers will have sold their condos and moved on to their next project; they don't care and the neighborhood has no protection from the continued and additional abuse of 75 feet of beach as a dumping ground.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
In the defense of the developers--they are NOT inexperienced and they and their families have been full-time residents of SoWal for at least 4+ years. They are not newcomers to the area and are experienced working through the county. They are not, as someone stated, fresh from Atlanta and trying to make a quick buck. They have been caught in a bad situation with the downturn of the market--just like every other developer and builder in the area. This is not the first project here that they have done. Before moving here, these guys also had experience in other markets.

Nobody could have planned for the downturn of this market. If only we had all listened to Shelly . . .

Fly for Fun, since you don't live or work here, you can't say that you have even a clue about what it takes to get anything done in Walton County. The fact of the matter is that Walton County is so inefficient that it literally takes years to get a project through to a development order. Turnover at the county offices is so high that you may have to work with a new county planner every 12 months. This project has probably been in the works for over 3 years and at that time the market was doing great. Obviously they would not have proceeded with the project if they could have forseen the market today. They are not stupid.

I remember when presales of this development opened up and someone on this board posted about the "great investment opportunity." Several members of SoWal.com were excited that they had a reservation. It was a good project and a good deal at the time.

I think its time for the gossip and speculation to end.

How do you defend attempting to sell something you don't own?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
How do you defend attempting to sell something you don't own?

My comments were in response to Fly for Fun's comments insinuated that these guys are amateurs who don't have experience working in Walton County.

They did make a mistake in marketing a "private beach access" before they had approval for one. Obviously it is a sensitive issue for both sides, but I think everyone should stop acting like they're in high school and work together for a solution.

I don't have an opinion of the development one way or the other, but I don't like it when individuals are personally attacked and trashed on these boards.