• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
the people in the bannerman estate use the walkway as they have a gate cut.I've met and talked to lanier smith? older guy who is very nice. he owns the first home on the dunes and from what i understand very wealthy and he tried to block the sanctuary sale many yrs ago.as far as the walkway goes. its deaded access to the wet sand and its in the legal papers of the sanctuary. as far as the supreme court ruling goes i've read a ton on it and please correct me if i'm wrong but what does that have to do with the topic above? i thought the supreme ct case is about the county or states right to nourish a beach and create a beach front were there is none. in other words its not the right of the state to create a beachfront if none there. does this overide were a home can claim a private beach to the high water mark?in other words please explain how the 2 mingle with each other. thanks

Ray, you are right about the issue at hand regarding the Supreme Court case, but ultimately that ruling will weigh very heavily on which grain of sand that used to belong to a farmer in Georgia now belongs to a trust fund baby who doesn't like someone enjoying "their" beach.

MERMAIDEN

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2009
The Beaches are for everyone to enjoy!

Actually, I feel sorry for the developers that feel the need to try and own the beaches like sad little children who don't know how to share their toys. Most people aren't out to cause distruction of property except maybe to the ugly signs that destroy an otherwise pristine view. This area is seeing so many changes that are so sad to those of us fortunate enough to have known it when.... I feel so blessed and cursed by this. I mean most people come to this area and think it is amazing because they never saw the coastal dune lakes without huge developements surrounding them.I guess in the end mother nature will take it all back and this gives me comfort .Meanwhile ,it is just shameful that a pregnant woman got told she had to leave Stalworth lake and tourist who had been making memories with his family for seven got dragged away.All beacuse of lines in the sand.

One develpement actually stuck an American flag next to private beach sign. As if that is patriotic.It's more like capitalism run amuck.Our beaches and all of our coastal dune lakes are for everyone to share, cherish, and preserve.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
:welcome: to South Walton. You may want to do a search on gulf front trespass, apparently the procedure for the Sheriff's department to determine if you are on "their" property is far too complicated and time consuming to actually go anywhere.

MERMAIDEN

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2009
Thank you for the information. Maybe we should just tell the next fraternity that there's free beer in front of these condos..hee..hee

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
what is so sad is this part of 30-a is one of the least crowded. i suspect the pig sanctuary has done this to impress there million dollar hope to be condo owners. its a ploy to sell condos to show"they're exclusive".
whats so funny is sanctuary is probably the worst guld front condo on 30-a as many of the back conod's are a 4 min walk to the beach. to call that "gulf front" is a sham.they have the temp signs in as somebody stole there others the beach chair guy told me. i suspect after a while they'll give up as 500 new renters a week sit on there sand

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Thank you for the information. Maybe we should just tell the next fraternity that there's free beer in front of these condos..hee..hee

You'll need to explain that they need to build a giant bonfire so the beer truck knows where to go. :D

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Giggle Mermaid, giggle away...

2007 top end sale price: 3.5 mil
2009 top end sale price: 1 mil
2010 top end sale price: 750K
2011 top end sale price: 650K
2012 top end sale price: 500K

(Maybe this should be moved to the real estate forums?)

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Giggle Mermaid, giggle away...

2007 top end sale price: 3.5 mil
2009 top end sale price: 1 mil
2010 top end sale price: 750K
2011 top end sale price: 650K
2012 top end sale price: 500K

(Maybe this should be moved to the real estate forums?)

30-A Shopper: Everything in life isn't about money...is it? :blink:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
30-A Shopper: Everything in life isn't about money...is it? :blink:

For Sanctuary, creating perceived added value to compensate for falling values is likely the reason they've stepped up efforts to claim the beach. They've really been hit hard in the downturn.

lucky

Beach Comber
Apr 29, 2010
For Sanctuary, creating perceived added value to compensate for falling values is likely the reason they've stepped up efforts to claim the beach. They've really been hit hard in the downturn.

Hm. Interesting how many posters simply assume that this bruhaha is all because of a bunch of rich, "trust fund" babies greedily depriving innocent folks of their god given beach rights. I guess the facts are not important to some people. The facts are that there is a huge state park and public beaches right next to this development's beaches. All that Sanctuary is asking is that folks go a bit left rather than right when they get to the end of the boardwalk. Yes, property rights are valuable and people pay good money for beach rights. They are entitled to enjoy those rights without trespass. Sanctuary does not bother fishermen or waders but it does ask that folks set up their own umbrellas and chairs on the expansive nearby public beach.