• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Due to the current damage to 30A near Big Redfish Lake caused by recent rains, Walton County has also closed the pedestrian bridge that spans the same location. The closure has come in an abundance of caution and in concern for safety due to the flood waters and damage in the surrounding area. The closure of the pedestrian bridge affects not only low speed vehicles, but walkers and bikers as well.

The bridge will remain closed until damage assessments are complete in the area and repair assessments are completed by the Public Works department. Once complete, the closure will be reassessed.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
i never did like that bridge. It's very heavy, quite long, and has a long unsupported span. The concrete has these kind of wavy bumps and and when you bike over them, the whole thing vibrates.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I had also noticed for quite a long time that the water level on the north side of 30A was always higher. I guess nature has a way of correcting itself if the county won't clear out debris that blocks the flow!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Due to the current damage to 30A near Big Redfish Lake caused by recent rains, Walton County has also closed the pedestrian bridge that spans the same location. The closure has come in an abundance of caution and in concern for safety due to the flood waters and damage in the surrounding area. The closure of the pedestrian bridge affects not only low speed vehicles, but walkers and bikers as well.

Kurt, IIRC that bridge is for the walking/biking trail and would not accommodate LSV's in any case.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
An LSV might actually fit on that bridge even though they're not permitted.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
look at google earth....pavement around the lake source....greed wins again

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
There is little doubt that:

A. Keeping the culverts clear could have prevented a washout. I traverse this part of 30a several times a day and the north side water has been high for some time. The invasive grass that has continued to grow on the south side was clearly impeding the flow and the massive rains finally breached the road in a major way until the eroding water flow took out the roadway.

B. A bridge is needed. I believe there is a plan to put bridges over all the Dune Lakes. This might be a good place to start. As much as it would personally inconvenience me I would prefer that they not spend the time or the money to do a short term fix if a bridge is imminent.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Wait, that means someone sent it to you thinking LSV's are allowed on that bridge?!?

Might I ask your source?