• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
JB said:
To me, nothing is uglier than four beach homes all in a row with four different kinds of seawalls.

Ok, I have an idea. Let's all just look out at the sea, she is beautiful, and then let's all look up at that beautiful moon and stars. Then in the daytime do the same thing, look up at that beautiful blue sky and awesome clouds...let's not turn around and look at any of the beach homes. Let's walk blindfolded down to the beach and don't peek. That is what I am gonna do the next time I am down there, if the seawalls look bad. Then, I am going to enjoy the friends and family I am there with. I am gonna say a little prayer for the homeowners, and business owners that the homes and businesses they have, don't fall off the dunes.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
kathydwells said:
Ok, I have an idea. Let's all just look out at the sea, she is beautiful, and then let's all look up at that beautiful moon and stars. Then in the daytime do the same thing, look up at that beautiful blue sky and awesome clouds...let's not turn around and look at any of the beach homes. Let's walk blindfolded down to the beach and don't peek. That is what I am gonna do the next time I am down there, if the seawalls look bad. Then, I am going to enjoy the friends and family I am there with. I am gonna say a little prayer for the homeowners, and business owners that the homes and businesses they have, don't fall off the dunes.

Can you imagine what it would have been like to walk down that beach back in say, the 1500's? Talk about beautiful! You'd have to fight off the wildlife with a stick.

Oh, and Blake, :welcome:

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
We came across some pictures from about 1996 when our kids were pretty young on the beach and it was shocking to see where the beach was and where it is today. :eek:

The dunes were huge and very deep, and the beach was at least 2x the depth it is today. I know this is not news to most long timers, but it was a surprise to stumble onto those pictures and see the reality of it.

Now, all that being said, I still think the beaches are beautiful and feel very lucky to get to enjoy them whenever I can. Sometimes I just need to remind myself to not say, 'if only' and be accepting of what God and life have to offer. :D

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Landlocked said:
Can you imagine what it would have been like to walk down that beach back in say, the 1500's? Talk about beautiful! You'd have to fight off the wildlife with a stick.

Oh, and Blake, :welcome:

Interesting you mention that, as this is something I think about all the time. I would love to see these beaches the way DeSoto saw them.

Actually, anyone who saw the the South Walton beaches prior to 1970 got a pretty good idea of what the Spaniards saw in the 17th century. It really hasn't been that long ago that you could walk from Destin to Grayton and see nothing but dunes.

kathydwells said:
Yeah, but it'll be like at Fripp. Because of the seawalls, there won't be any beach to walk on anytime near high tide!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Beach Runner said:
Yeah, but it'll be like at Fripp. Because of the seawalls, there won't be any beach to walk on anytime near high tide!
SoWal will learn this lesson after it is too late. The seawalls will actually promote erosion.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
I don't frequent this forum very often, so excuse me if this has been addressed already. But its time to stop complaining, mount the cavalry and put a stop to seawalls, like we did to high rises back when. I hear lots of noise but see no action being taken. Granted, people who build seawalls are acting on fear, but it borders on shameful. (If anyone is building a wall and would like to rebut me, please do.) There are better ways to protect properties-- that won't eliminate the beach.

Beachfront owners, Tear Down Your Walls.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
thumper said:
I don't frequent this forum very often, so excuse me if this has been addressed already. But its time to stop complaining, mount the cavalry and put a stop to seawalls, like we did to high rises back when. I hear lots of noise but see no action being taken. Granted, people who build seawalls are acting on fear, but it borders on shameful. (If anyone is building a wall and would like to rebut me, please do.) There are better ways to protect properties-- that won't eliminate the beach.

Beachfront owners, Tear Down Your Walls.

time will tell, because:

a) I don't think they *are* seawalls - they seem to be more like retaining walls made specifically to keep the dune sand the buildings are built on from sliding out from under the buildings - they don't meet the Florida DEP specs for a 'seawall' anyway, either buried or non-buried

b) they may end up functioning as seawalls when Wilma or the next one comes ashore somewhere closer than south florida, then they will collapse as they don't have any scour protection to keep the wet sand from slipping out from around or under them

oh well, what do I know, anyway